The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 2, 2000, 12:27 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Dear Harry:
I recently aquired a Danish military 9mm Bergman-Bayard pistol. It is in excellent condition and I want to shoot it but no source I have checked gives disassembay instructions. If you have any information on how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Regards, Hard Ball
Old February 2, 2000, 12:57 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Hard Ball:
The only thing I have is the blow-up and parts list on the piece. I will have to send that be separate email. Will need your email address.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited February 02, 2000).]
Old February 2, 2000, 03:39 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Hard ball,

Takedown on that gun is a little tricky, and you will need a padded vise.

The round knobs at the rear look solid; they are not. Push in the rear of the firing pin (hard to do) and at the same time push on the center of the left knob (there is a hole there) and push the center of the knob out from left to right.

Now, remove the firing pin to the rear. Push the rear sight block forward and lift up, allowing the recoil spring and firing pin spring to come out to the rear. (The springs may have to be "fished" for if they don't come out.) Observe exactly how they go in and don't lose the little washer on the end of the recoil spring.

With the firing pin and the springs out, and the rear sight block out, the barrel and barrel extension can come forward off the frame. Make sure you don't lose the locking block.

That completes normal field stripping. To remove the sideplate, remove the grips, then use a brass drift or a bullet point to press in and up on the lock on the left side. This pushes the sideplate on the right off, and allows the mechanism to be cleaned or repaired.

Do not remove the mainspring. If it breaks, you will have a time finding one or having one made. (You'll see why.)

Now for those famous words - "reassemble in reverse order." To reinsert the rear sight block, use something like a cleaning rod to press the recoil spring in past the point where the block has to go, and insert the block.

The pistol fires the 9mm Bergman-Bayard, which is the same as the Spanish 9mm Largo. CCI makes Blazer ammo in that caliber, but I really don't advise shooting the old timer.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited February 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited February 02, 2000).]
Old February 9, 2000, 06:57 PM   #4
Hard Ball

Thanks, Jim, that's the information I needed, though it doesn't sound like much fun.
Hard Ball
Old February 10, 2000, 05:57 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It ain't, but it is an education in turn of the (last) century pistol design.

Jim