The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 7, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Northslope Nimrod

Where is a ballistic chart for Triple Seven powder loads?

My dad is muzzle loading this year for the first time. He is shooting 300 grain sabots with Triple Seven pellets. I need a ballistic table to assist in sighting this rifle in. He was told to use three pellets of powder.
Old September 7, 2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

NN,

Go here: http://www.hodgdon.com/ml-warning.html for Hodgdon T7 load data. Check the box that says "I have read...........information below", then click the Get Muzzleloading Data. That will take you to the 20 page file that lists loading data for T7 Pellets, loose powder and Pyrodex.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 7, 2009, 06:51 PM   #3
mykeal

Did you try Hodgdon's web site: http://www.hodgdon.com/index.html. It contains a downloadable .pdf file with loading data for 777. Click on Products, then Muzzleloading, then Triple Seven. The click on the Data tag on the left side of the page just below the words Loading Notes (NOT the word Data in the line near the top of the page).

Damn. Fingers beat me again. That's what I get for proof reading.
Old September 7, 2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 7, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Northslope Nimrod

Thanks. However, I can't see any trajectory tables in that PDF. Where are they?
Old September 7, 2009, 08:45 PM   #6
mykeal

Trajectories depend on the ballistic coefficient of the projectile; Hodgdon's doesn't make projectiles. You need to calculate the trajectory for your projectile choice(s) using Hodgdon's energy/velocity data. There are several ballistic trajectory calculators available on the internet.
Old September 8, 2009, 01:10 AM   #7
arcticap

Here's a short chart from Traditions which lists the trajectory for 1 sample load of 150 grains of powder with a 300 grain saboted bullet.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/loadchart.pdf
Old September 9, 2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Northslope Nimrod

Darn. This shouldn't be so hard. I can't find the Ballistic Coefficient for my sabots on TC's web site.

I am shooting two 50 gr pellets of Triple Seven...covered with a 300 grain sabot from Thompson Center.

I want to sight it in at 25 yards. I would like to be about 1 inch high at 100 yards. So, can someone tell me where I should sight in at 25 yards?

OR can someone tell me the BC of my sabot and point me to a calculator where I can figure it out?
Old September 12, 2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Smokey 92

Long range hunting with a ML takes a lot of practice. According to "The BlackPowder Journal" vol.2 number 5, Oct.-Dec. 1997, sabots weighing .270gr will rise 2"-3"@ 75yrds., and drop below line of sight 2.5" to 3.5"@ 150yrds. A 10mph cross wind can move a bullet 9" to 17". Most hunters in a test had a difficult time making a kill shot past 150 yrds. For a .270gr sabot they recommend sighting in to hit dead on @ 125yrds., enabling a shooter to hold dead on out to 150yrds. This was with 90gr. (most accurate load in that rifle) of powder. Hope this helps.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:37 PM   #10
Doyle

I would NEVER attempt to hunt deer with any rifle that was sighted in only on a 25 yd range. You owe it to your quary to get to a decent range and do a true 100yd sight-in.
Old December 1, 2011, 02:49 PM   #11
dadoctorisin

Totally Impractical

You are incorrectly assuming that you can actually see 100 yards in the woods you hunt. Such is not the case here, and fifty yards is virtually all the farther you can ever see here.