The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How often you change your ammo out a year/more
once month 7 11.86%
once quarterly 8 13.56%
once six months 12 20.34%
once year 10 16.95%
over a year 22 37.29%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 25, 2013, 12:31 PM   #26
RBid

I don't have a routine for it, but I typically run a mag of Gold Dots through at least 1/mo, and rotate mags while I'm at it. Since the craziness started, I'm slowing down. Lots of dry fire practice, and cutting my 150+ handgun rounds/week habit down to about 50/week.

I'm not bothered by leaving mags loaded for extended periods.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:01 PM   #27
efield

I shoot up my self defense ammo on my birthday every year, replenish with new ammo and shoot one magazine full of the new ammo to make sure it feeds properly. I generally unload the SD ammo and test my magazines with target ammo (FMJ ball) once a month; usually the 3rd Monday. If the magazines are operating properly, I use them until they aren't.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:27 PM   #28
Guv

I would think a 357 Sig would be the last round to suffer from bullet set back due to being a bottleneck case. Rather than time frame as an issue I feel improper or careless cleaning and lubing of the gun should be a concern. Be very careful to keep the area around the firing pin clean an oil free on your defense gun.
Old January 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #29
Verbal Clint

I didn't vote because I don't "change" my magazines. Because my carry weapon is a compact 1911, I am limited to 7+1 for the first mag. I typically carry an extra mag and right now, I just have one extra. Every 2 weeks, I have a different one at home with the spring taken out. Carry/SD ammo is switched out once a year. I use Speer Gold Dot ammo
Luke 11:21
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe."
Old January 25, 2013, 09:47 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

Springs aren't alive, so they don't need to rest. You are wasting your time removing the spring from a magazine.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:44 PM   #31
MRMTEX25

With the prices going thru the roof plus if mine is even available, I'm rethinking my thoughts. I will probably just shoot off range ammo, maybe a round of what I carry every other trip or so. Every couple of years for me and the magazines. I just inspect when cleaning and see if a rebuild or new is in order.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:25 PM   #32
saltydog452

Some of the previous responses had to do with long term stability of ammunition and the compressed springs. It seems kinda unlikely that what was asked.

The question seemed to do with shooter confidence. If you're cool with annual, semi-annual, or semi-weekly re-aquaintence with your skills, and equipment, go with what fits into your comfort/complacency level.

As ammunition expense relates to cost, at least for the time being, we can afford 21 rds a month. Fotunately, we both like Beans, Greens, and Cornbread.

There doesn't seem to be a std answer.

salty
Old January 26, 2013, 01:37 PM   #33
BGutzman

I do not remove my magazine on my carry weapons any more than absolutely necessary. Once a year I replace magazine springs (Wolff)

You can always break out the calipers and check each round to insure that everything is within spec. Given our current despotic situation I intend to get into re-loading this year.

A quality rounds should outlast most owners with reasonable care.
Old January 26, 2013, 01:42 PM   #34
Verbal Clint

Bill, springs wear out regardless of what they are made of, used for, or their thickness. This is a fact of engineering/physics. They more compression and longer comp time, the quicker their properties change. I WILL grant you that the change may be so small that it nearly immeasurable over the magazine's useful life. However, without the data to back it up, I like to play it safe. The practice extends their lives by 33% (theoretically). Obviously the clear solution is to buy mags solely for SD, which I will soon be doing.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:15 PM   #35
Dragline45

Quote:
I typically carry an extra mag and right now, I just have one extra. Every 2 weeks, I have a different one at home with the spring taken out
Quote:
Bill, springs wear out regardless of what they are made of, used for, or their thickness. This is a fact of engineering/physics. They more compression and longer comp time, the quicker their properties change. I WILL grant you that the change may be so small that it nearly immeasurable over the magazine's useful life. However, without the data to back it up, I like to play it safe. The practice extends their lives by 33% (theoretically). Obviously the clear solution is to buy mags solely for SD, which I will soon be doing.
You say it extends the life of the springs by 33% theoretically, so really you have no idea.

Leaving the springs out of the magazine will not save the life of your springs anymore than if you left the spring in the mag unloaded. I have never heard of anyone doing this before, and it's because it really is a waste of time. I can buy a pack of springs for under $15 dollars, if I am really that concerned about spring strength I'll swap them out at the end of the year, it's not like the springs are priceless or hard to find (usually).

In fact, I will go as far to say that you are putting more wear on your springs from constantly removing and inserting them into the mag body every two weeks then just letting the mag sit unloaded with the spring in it.

Last edited by Dragline45; January 26, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:31 PM   #36
jason_iowa

I don't go any longer then 2 years.
Old January 27, 2013, 12:43 AM   #37
Verbal Clint

The spring is slightly compressed while still in the magazine. If it was not, I would agree. As you stated, not a big deal and pretty cheap. If the magazine is just sitting around doing nothing anyway, it just gives me something else to do with my guns to soak up time