The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 22, 2016, 02:35 AM   #26
raimius

Practice as frequently as you can. Dry-fire every day. You will see improvement quickly, if you do this.
(Assuming you are practicing proper form!)
Old February 22, 2016, 06:08 AM   #27
David R

I shoot twice a week. Practice or in a match, twice a week keeps me sharp.
I shot bullseye matches at first, after 20 years of casting and shooting too muc indoors, Lead levels went up. Now I shoot more rimfire ad centerfire rifle. I quit casting 10 years ago, now I buy the lead bullets.

In the winter I shoot sporter rifle once a week and some kind of intenet match. In the summer I shoot a 100 yard offhand rifle match and Silhouette metch every week.

David
Old February 22, 2016, 09:46 PM   #28
SlvrDragon50

Hmm okay, thanks.

I guess I'll just limit my shooting to just for fun for the next month since I can't practice with the gun I bought.

I'll refine my practice habits once I get my gun and actually start getting used to it.
Old February 28, 2016, 07:27 PM   #29
BigJimP

You have to set goals - and work on all the fundamentals / all the little things --- stance, trigger press, trigger reset, mag changes both speed reload and tactical reloads....get some good instruction -- and read a little , like Massad Ayoob's book "combat handgunnery"....great info in there...in my view.

Once you reach a competency level --- dry fire 15 min a day is great / get to range "train" a couple times a week -100 to 150 rounds a session is plenty.....but work on specific things - and use a timer - like draw & fire 2 shots in under 4 sec .....and over time, work down to 3 sec....and maybe that 3 sec ( with center chest accuracy A zone hits ) becomes a long term goal... at 90% accuracy and under goal time.../ .... or ( draw and fire 3 shots - speed reload- and fire 3 shots ) in under 8 or 9 sec and work your way down to 7 sec......lots of drills you can work on to get better.

And don't ever forget to have fun with the process !
Old March 2, 2016, 05:00 PM   #30
Moonglum

Until you actually improve
Old March 2, 2016, 05:26 PM   #31
kilimanjaro

For just general shooting proficiency, 500 rounds a year, that's just one trip per month to the range. So you're going to need to budget for 1,500 rounds minimum, just to keep skill levels on a plateau.
Old March 3, 2016, 12:52 AM   #32
Deaf Smith

Well, if you are a very lousy shot you will find you can just not practice and still keep your skills.

I find if before actually shooting I spend 15 min practicing my drawing technique with a empty gun, practice speed reloads, pivots, transitions, barricade technique, etc., then just put a few rounds in each mag so as to practice multiple techniques (like drawing, double taps, hammers, transitioning, speed reloading, and such) I can make a 100 round session a serious learning experience. And by the time the training session is over I'm real tired.

That way I can practice twice a month, 200 rounds, and see some real progress.

Deaf