The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 22, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
BoogieMan

re checkering a stock

I have a stock on a sported Mauser that has a nice design but the checkering is shallow and uneven. I would like to go over it and clean it up. I was going to use a 60 degree file but corners will be an issue. How is checkering done and what type of tool would I use?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Pahoo

Brownell sells them

Brownell carries the proper checking tools that has the proper angle. For what you want to do and I've done it, you should only need one tool. However, if there is any collector value, to your pice, I wold rethink this. The stock I worked with, had some flat points and at that time, had little value ..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 22, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
Scorch

Checkering is done with small 90 degree toothed checkering cutters that look a bit like a 1/2" long piece of a file on a handle. There are spacers as well as multi-line cutters, designed to make the job look even and keep the lines parallel. Not trying to sound negative, but a rifle like your Belgian Mauser is no place to start learning. If you want the checkering recut, give it to an experienced stockmaker to do. PM me if you want a quote, I am a stockmaker.
Old January 22, 2013, 08:06 PM   #4
Pahoo

Single-line cutter recommended.

Quote:
There are spacers as well as multi-line cutters, designed to make the job look even and keep the lines parallel.
If you decide to do this work on your piece, I'd suggest a single line cutter and work slowly. If you go with a multi-line cutter, you wil have to define and match, your existing spacing and will have less control. Once you start, you will see what I mean. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 22, 2013, 09:24 PM   #5
alex0535

Here is Larry Potterfield discussing checkering a stock. It should be pretty helpful.

http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.ph...?id=1_2ysw75gn