The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2006, 04:17 PM   #1
cgbills

ghillie suits for hunting

does anyone here forgo a tree stand and lay on the ground with a ghillie suit? much like you would stalk if you were a sniper? do you see any advantages to this, liying still in one place for long periods of time?
Old December 11, 2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Venison_Jerkey32

You won't need a ghillie suit if you are't even moving, you really don't need one at all imo. The only time I've heard of someone wearing a ghillie suit was my trainer who said when he was in the army he would wear a ghillie suit and stalk deer hunters just for practice .

I may be young, but it is the people of my generation that will decide the future of America.
Old December 11, 2006, 05:44 PM   #3
joeranger

motion and smell seem to be the biggest issues that a suit won't help with.
Old December 11, 2006, 06:10 PM   #4
boltgun71

I have used a ghullie suit while hunting for woodchucks and coyote. It can be effective when stalking animals that have good eyesight or are pressured a-lot. You certainly dont need one but its a fun experience and good stalking practice. They are very hot on summer days though.
Old December 11, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

It's possibly a worthwhile idea if hunting turkeys or ducks from the ground if you don't have a blind, where there are no trees to get up against to break up your outline - say hunting turkeys out on the open prairie/grasslands. Where there are trees, just regular camo is all you need - just put your back to a tree, with the sun at your back, and be still.

For deer and other ungulates, they don't see colors or see well enough to notice you if you are still. Any movement will set them at alert, ghillie suit or not, camo or not. But be still and camo is unnecessary, although a patterned/striped outfit is preferred to break up your outline.
Old December 11, 2006, 06:58 PM   #6
john in jax

I've had plenty of deer look right up at me - - I've started wearing a ghilie suit jacket and hood to help break up the outline of the "moving parts", you know the head swiveling in their direction, the arms bringing the gun up, etc...

Has it made a difference - - not that I can tell, but I feel more confident that they can't see me.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Adventurer 2

I've got a friend that wears a ghillie suit hunting turkey - I have seen Jakes walk right up to him - he could reach out and grab one but he prefers the, long bearded, Tom turkey - Toms don't ever walk up within arms reach.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:55 PM   #8
Rangefinder

I did it for kicks one year and had a young buck walk right up next to me and start grazing---I got him from about 5 feet away. *shrug* Try it if you want, but check your local regulations closely first to make sure there's nothing to get in trouble for.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old December 11, 2006, 07:58 PM   #9
cgbills

i made one just for the heck of it and think it would be more fun to use than a tree stand.
Old December 11, 2006, 09:05 PM   #10
whiskey

A real ghillie is heavy! I am too lazy to wear one even if I thought it would help. Instead I have a ASAT 3-D suit and I love it.

http://www.asatcamo.com/home1.htm

I shot a young buck with my bow this year from 6 yards away. I was on the ground, in the middle of the 4 wheeler trail and the deer walked right up to me. He was looking right at me and could not see that I was there. My buddy wears the same thing and had a doe come up and sniff him. We have also had turkeys walk up on us while we were sitting in the middle of the road with no cover.
Old December 11, 2006, 09:17 PM   #11
Troponin

Deer really do have poor site. You can be standing right next to one and they wouldn't know it. Having any design that blends in is fine. Two times this year I have been within 5 yards of deer and they never knew I was there...atleast, not with their eyes.

That said, a Gillie is more for animals with excellent eye sight. The point of the suit it to break up your body's outline so that the animal can't make out your form. A good Ghillie suit will hang off of your body and make you look like a bush or "blob".

Here are the original looking ones.

http://www.theghilliesuits.com/

Check out this evergreen one. It's awsome! LOL

http://www.theghilliesuits.com/catag...uct/ghil-t.htm
Old December 11, 2006, 09:21 PM   #12
cgbills

so would a ghillie be good for coyote? how is their eyesight?
Old December 11, 2006, 09:27 PM   #13
Troponin

If I were to use the Ghillie on anything, it would be for predators, Coyotes, fox, wolves, Bob cats, Mountain lions etc. In fact, cats have a tendency to be alot more weary about any calls or smells, so even if you have your scent covered, they will see movement very easily.