The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 28, 2013, 03:30 PM   #1
KBP

Permit to carry a knife

If you have a permit to carry, does this extend to legal knives? If I have a folding knife with with a large blade concealed, will it protect me from getting into trouble with the law?
Old January 28, 2013, 04:00 PM   #2
62coltnavy

Varies by jursidiction. In California, e.g., it is a permit to carry a concealed firearm, not a concealed weapon. There is no permit to carry a concealed knife. Even Ca. Knife laws vary by city and by county; there is a state law of the subject that says any fixed blade may ony be carried openly, but no limit on what you put in your pocket; by contrast, in LA they'll bust your chops if the blade is more than three inches long. So check your local jurisdiction.
Old January 28, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Scimmia

handgunlaw.us is such a nice resource. Under Misc. Information for PA:

Does Your Permit Cover Other Weapons Besides Firearms? NO ยง 6109.

BUT, you have to look at the definitions involved.

"Offensive weapons." dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose. No Blade Length in PA Laws.

With Philly having an extra restriction:

Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon

That should give you a good start. There could be other city ordinances, handgunlaws.us just lists the large ones.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB
If you have a permit to carry, does this extend to legal knives? If I have a folding knife with with a large blade concealed, will it protect me from getting into trouble with the law?
As already posted, it depends on the state. My Florida non-resident permit is a concealed weapons permit. My Pennsylvania LTCF, on the other hand, is a "License To Carry Firearms."

Fifty states ==> fifty laws. (Plus D.C.)
Old January 29, 2013, 05:34 PM   #5
hermannr

KBP: PA and WA are the same with their permits. handguns only, our license is a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)...however...WA and PA are also the same when it comes to the Open Carry of weapons, no license required.

I also have a large folding knife...but I have a small leather holster for it that goes on my belt. It is no longer a concealed weapon according to the law, and legal to carry under the state constitution provision in Article 1 section 24 (WA),,,and as long as it is not a spring loaded switchblade, it is not a prohibited weapon (we even have exemptions for that, but not relivant here)

I believe PA has very similar.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Dragline45

In Massachusetts it does. My LTC (license to carry), allows me to carry a blade of any length, and double edged if I choose. Otherwise I would be limited to a single edged folding knife. When I cannot legally carry a firearm in certain places, or when I am drinking, I typically carry a 3 1/2" double edged fixed blade in a kydex IWB knife sheath.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #7
Willie Sutton

When I cannot legally carry a firearm in certain places, or when I am drinking, I typically carry a 3 1/2" double edged fixed blade in a kydex IWB knife sheath.

Interesting point. My Florida license is a weapons license, I suppose that I can carry a defensive knife with it in areas marked "No Firearms" without fear. Interesting twist on the law.

Every state varies.

Willie

Old January 29, 2013, 11:29 PM   #8
godot

Here are a couple of links that may help.

http://www.knife-expert.com/links.htm#knife%20laws

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...735-Knife-Laws

A lot of the laws were put in place a long tome ago. In my state straight razors are exempt because at the time the initial state law was written, most men shaved with one and the police couldn't arrest every traveling salesman or railroad porter that happened to have one. The laws are kind of Byzantine in nature, in that in some areas you can carry a bowie knife openly but nothing hidden. In NYC, you can carry a 4 inch blade as long as it is hidden. You really have to check by area.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:16 AM   #9
egor20

I always liked Virginia Law 3.1-370: your knife must be cleaned daily.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 30, 2013, 12:40 AM   #10
godot

Of course it should be cleaned daily. You wouldn't want to stab someone AND give them an infection of some kind too.

BTW, should a LEO ever inquire about why you are carrying a knife of whatever kind, the correct answer in NEVER self protection. That answer transforms what may be a tool into a weapon and then opens a legal can of worms that is unnecessary.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:57 AM   #11
alaskabushman

Since I can carry a gun concealed in my state without a permit I suppose a knife is okay. It had better be since I am NEVER without a knife in my pocket.
Old January 30, 2013, 05:01 AM   #12
Pilot

Laws are screwy. I would not ASSUME anything. Read the laws. However, in Alaska if I had to guess..........
Old January 30, 2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Ben Towe

In Tennessee it's a handgun license and only covers that (and rifles in the vehicle, loaded mag, empty chamber until you feel you may have to use it). Your mileage may vary. In Kentucky, for example, it's a concealed deadly weapons license and allows you to carry a myriad of things such as switchblades, ASPs, blackjacks, etc.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:39 PM   #14
alaskabushman

Pick up the book, "Knife law of the 50 states" it looks like a good resource for someone needing info on the subject.
Old February 1, 2013, 10:06 AM   #15
win-lose

I find knife laws to be terrible.... they change from municipality to municipality. A violation could very well cost you your firearms license. I mostly just carry a sheathed multi-tool, which I use 100+ times a day and would need to carry anyway.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #16
Double J

Unless it's a bayonet, how is a knife firearm related?
Old February 5, 2013, 04:44 PM   #17
win-lose

Quote:
A conviction for a knife offense, depending on the jurisdiction, could jeopardize your ability to keep a carry permit, especially in the stricter areas (like mine )
Old February 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #18
bikerbill

In Texas, it's a Concealed HANDGUN License ... there are laws on the books regarding knives, but I don't believe the CHL statute involves knives ...
Old February 6, 2013, 12:26 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
This was posted in "Law and Civil Rights"... Not "Firearms Laws and Firearms Related Civil Rights" The tread is within the scope of the L&CR forum...

Thanks for inquiring though...
Brent