The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1
John L. Smith

Mossberg 535

I just purchased a new Mossberg 535 to replace my Maverick 88 that one grandson took away from me. The 535 weighs about 12 oz. less than the 88 and as a result kicks harder. Haven't shot any 3 1/2" shells yet, can imagine how it will kick with them. I would like to add 12 oz. to the 535. It is no big secret how to add 6 oz. to the stock but how do I add the other 6 oz. to the ammo tube? Mossberg said it would not void the warranty as long as I don't change any of the functions of it. Have read about lead tape, but don't want it to look like a cat's butt sewed up with a log chain.
So any ideas from you people that are a lot smarter than I am.

Thanks,
John
Old January 12, 2011, 05:14 AM   #2
PIGMAN

I believe this model has the accuchoke system.If your gun has a threded barrel for choke tubes, Mossberg makes choke tubes with a muzzle brake built in to it.Below is the link for Mossberg choke tubes.The ones with the holes are the ones that will cut the recoil.If your gun is not set up for choke tubes a gunsmith can thread your barrel and install a brake. Muzzle brakes are really the only way to deal with excessive recoil.
Old January 12, 2011, 04:56 PM   #3
g.willikers

A muzzle break will reduce the felt recoil, but the increase in muzzle blast may more than make up for it.
At least that's the way it can be for rifles.
If a full magazine is not required, maybe putting lead in the mag tube?
Or, instead of trying to reduce felt recoil in the gun, how about adding padding to yourself.
Like a thick, magnum rated, gel pak shoulder pad and a really good, soft pad for the stock.
The few times I've tried rifles with brakes, they rattled my brain.
Old January 12, 2011, 06:02 PM   #4
John L. Smith

Am going to try to go hog hunting this weekend, have some 3 1/2" 00 buck I will be using. The pigs are only running at night so have to use the shotgun. If I see any and get a shot will find out if my right shoulder will be bent around behind my back and touching the left one. Will let you know what happens if I see any pigs and am still alive.

John
Old January 13, 2011, 02:12 PM   #5
publius

Limbsaver is the best recoil pad, you might look into that. A lot of the competition shooters put weighted magazine caps on, (berettas and benellis are the only ones I've seen). They may make something similar for the Mossy. I would go with the Limbsaver and a mercury recoil reducer in the mag. tube.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:39 PM   #6
John L. Smith

Talked to a local gunsmith today. He recomended that I remove recoil pad and roll up some sheet lead and put in cavity in stock. As soon as I can find some sheet lead will start out with about 8 oz. in stock and see how that works. He said he didn't think I needed any in mag tube as the gun seemed barrel heavy to him already. Wiil post how it comes out when I get done.