The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 30, 2017, 06:49 PM   #1
bobn

ruger 6mm creedmoor

traded my ruger predator in 243 for a 6mm. hope to sight it in tomorrow. 2.5 to 10 black diamond burris is going from one to the other. bobn
Old September 30, 2017, 07:08 PM   #2
Don Fischer

Just wondering, what did you gain?
Old September 30, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
bobn

not a major thing. just something different to load for. twist is more for 105 to 110 grain bullets. 243 twist is more for 87 to 95. bobn
Old October 1, 2017, 11:58 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...110 grain bullets..." Aren't any of those except the Sierra MK. Seems like pure BS marketing to add 3 whole grains.
Biggest issue with the 6mm Creedmoor is that both ammo and brass only come from Hornady. Buy as much brass as you can afford. The assorted MBA's running the company's marketing departments think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for existing customers.
A 6mm twist should be the same as a .243 twist. It isn't in the Ruger, but it should be. 1 in 9.125 or thereabouts works just fine for 85 grains and up bullet weights. Been using 90's and 105's for eons myself. Even the so-called 'varmint' rifles are rifled for deer bullets.
Old October 1, 2017, 12:21 PM   #5
MarkCO

I shoot 105s in in my .243Win Predator with great results out to 1K. Calibers have nothing to do with twist, it is the barrel that matters. Bullets don't care much about the case, just the velocity and if they are stabilized.
Old October 1, 2017, 03:55 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
"...110 grain bullets..." Aren't any of those except the Sierra MK. Seems like pure BS marketing to add 3 whole grains.
Biggest issue with the 6mm Creedmoor is that both ammo and brass only come from Hornady. Buy as much brass as you can afford. The assorted MBA's running the company's marketing departments think nothing of discontinuing stuff with no regard for existing customers.
A 6mm twist should be the same as a .243 twist. It isn't in the Ruger, but it should be. 1 in 9.125 or thereabouts works just fine for 85 grains and up bullet weights. Been using 90's and 105's for eons myself. Even the so-called 'varmint' rifles are rifled for deer bullets.
There are 107, 108, and 115 grain bullets available for the 6mm calibers as well that won't stabilize in a standard twist .243 rifle. Also the SAAMI twist rate for the .243 cartridge is the old 1:10 twist that Winchester designed it for. 1:10 twist rifles won't stabilize all 105 grain bullets, and neither will the 1:9 twist rifles closer to sea level. Do a little research and you'll find some info out there where fast twist rifles actually help out the BC of the projectile, and the 6mm Creedmoor is the darling of the Precision rifle circuit.

Oh yeah, Lapua, Starline, Federal, Norma, Sig Sauer, and Nosler sell brass for Creedmoor rifles besides Hornady. I know Nosler is rebranded Norma, and I don't have a clue as to who makes Sig Sauer brass. So I don't think you'll have to worry about it being out of stock any time soon. Plus you can make Creedmoor brass out of other readily available brass.
Old October 1, 2017, 04:31 PM   #7
jmr40

Quote:
Just wondering, what did you gain?
The ability to buy off the shelf ammo and rifles that will handle heavier bullets. With custom rifles and ammo there isn't much difference. Guys have been modifying 243 and 260 rifles for years to get better performance. The Creedmoor versions offer the same performance off the shelf.

Winston Churchill
Old October 1, 2017, 06:23 PM   #8
bobn

just shot a dime sized three shot group. eld match ammo in a 389 dollar rifle. no custom, no gunsmith, no high dollar anything. that is what I gained. bobn
Old October 2, 2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Tallest

Recoil?

bobn - can you speak to the recoil compared to the 243 or 6mmRem? My dad is over due for rotator cuff surgery, and his shoulder is always bothering him. I'm looking for something good and affordable that meets the min. 23cal requirement we have here.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 2, 2017, 01:44 PM   #10
bobn

slightly less felt recoil than the 243. but more noise for sure. less than a 30 30.
I do not do well with recoil anymore either. my days of 375 h&h, 300 or 7 mag, light 45 70s or even 06 are gone.
......another close range low recoil deer gun would be the ruger American in 300 blackout. bobn
Old October 2, 2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Tallest

bobn - Thank you very much!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old October 2, 2017, 02:19 PM   #12
tobnpr

I'd go with the Creedmoor for a competition/LR target rifle.
Especially for those that don't handload, the .243 has a much larger variety of factory ammo available and the heavier bullets may not be necessary.

Both are throat burners with a barrel life of 1000-1500 rounds...

Consider whether you really need that overbore performance, tradeoff is the life of the rifle which I suppose could be considered expendable for what some cost.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old October 3, 2017, 08:32 AM   #13
bobn

I figure most rifle shooters move on to reloading once they pass the blastem up stage.
,,, if I back off the velocity a hundred feet per second in the heavier bullet weights it still best the 243 loads I have chronographed in the past. bob