The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 26, 2016, 08:42 PM   #1
North East Redneck

More Lunacy in Mass

A new law (H3476) would make it illegal to posses an air gun that is colored like a real firearm. It would also require air guns to have a permanent orange stripe on both sides of the barrel. As it is written it also allows for confiscation by law enforcement of an air gun that does not fit the new law. From my reading I see no 'grandfather' for existing guns. I have no idea how much support this proposal has, but I hope it does not pass. Some people own expensive air guns worth thousands of dollars, pretty sure they don't want to have to paint them or give them up. Also, it says that the orange stripes have to 'made from the same material as the barrel', so does this mean any existing air gun would be illegal?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BillH3476 (1).pdf (103.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by North East Redneck; January 26, 2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 26, 2016, 08:54 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

Certainly does sound as if it will put paid to anything not newly-made in compliance.

Were I a factory owner, I would write off the entire Massachusetts air gun market.
Old January 26, 2016, 09:27 PM   #3
North East Redneck

Kilimanjaro-

One freedom we have here is air guns, you are correct if this goes through I do not see air gun companies making guns to comply. I would'nt if I owned the company. The confiscation thing is insane. Lets hope that this bill is defeated and does not rear its ugly head again.
Old January 26, 2016, 10:18 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Another example of the totalitarian mindset.

No grandfather provision to keep your (currently)legal property. Legally authorized THEFT of your previously legal property.

Not a prohibition from public use or display, CONFICATION!!!

This is a clear case of a govt official sticking his nose in where it does not belong, and doing it in a way that would make any fascist proud!

No doubt, if pressed, the originator(s) would claim their intent is to reduce the risk of children being shot by police mistaking an air gun for a firearm.

However, by mandating a specific marking for the air gun, they are actually putting both children AND the police at an increased risk.

Think about it. The people pushing this bill, obviously didn't!
Old January 27, 2016, 08:50 PM   #5
North East Redneck

Update- the bill was not voted on today. Several amendments were added, and it was sent to Judiciary Committee. The amendments were pretty awful. Large fines were included. Will post links to the changes when I get back to my laptop.
Old January 27, 2016, 09:00 PM   #6
MurBob

I would have to do some research on this, but off the top of my head, I am not aware of of any metal that is capable of being manufactured in different colors.

All metals start out as an ore that is mined from the ground, refined through chemistry, and then melted with high temperatures before being cast, drawn or otherwise formed. Color, is not an option.

Gold comes to mind... white gold, yellow gold.

Going to be one expensive air gun...
Old February 4, 2016, 08:35 AM   #7
Anongunner

This is a bad precedent. I shoot competition air rifle and I'll be da**ed if I'm going to deface my $1500 hunting rifle or my $1200 competition rifle if this kind of nonsense spreads to my part of the country. This is as the title of the thread indicates, lunacy!
Old February 4, 2016, 10:41 AM   #8
1spottedpony

Being employed as an LEO in the past, and currentlly having family/friends active in law enforcement, we occasionally converse about current "criminal trends".
One topic discussed in the recent past was regarding the orange "safety caps" on the muzzles of toy guns, the fact they can be removed to make the toy more realistic.
Of more importance is the trend for criminals to now paint firearms muzzles orange, or to attach the plastic caps to firearms in the attempt to lull law inforcement into into the belief a gun is actually a toy.
What I'd forsee is a similar attempt by the criminal element, to change the appearance of an actual firearm, to resemble an air gun for what ever criminal intent.
Old February 4, 2016, 12:09 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

They'll just cerakote the orange stripe on the barrel, or whatever the requirement is, if they don't just spray paint it.

'Yes, your Honor, the gun he pulled out of his waistband had orange stripes on it, but I shot him anyway. He was a scumbag and I know they put fake stripes on real guns. The striping looked fake to me.'

Totally stupid bill.