The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 1, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1
ClydeFrog

Browning BPS All Weather 12ga shotgun...

I'm not sure if this topic came up here yet, but I was looking at the new Browning BPS "All Weather" 12ga model online.
Have any forum members shot or purchased this shotgun?
I'm left handed & like the Browning BPS line.
I booked a new in box All Weather BPS near where I live.
PM me if you'd like to keep your remarks/reviews private.

ClydeFrog
Old December 1, 2011, 02:36 AM   #2
Slugo

I own a 20 gauge BPS...

it's been a wonderful gun and wouldn't trade it for any other slider...
Old December 1, 2011, 11:32 AM   #3
BigJimP

I don't have any need - or desire - for a tactical shotgun ...

... but I have a pair of BPS Hunter models ...a 12ga and a 20ga with 28" barrels that were both purchased new in the late 1970's early 1980's or so ...and they've been very solid guns for a long time ...killed a lot of birds and broke a lot of clays ...and were used as training guns for a couple of boys and a few grandkids now...so they both have well over 100,000 shells thru them easily...

Here is a pretty recent photo of both of my BPS's and they're still good guns.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1236031619

The BPS all weather gun you're looking at has a nickel finish on the receiver and a matte finish on the stainless barrel - its a 20" barrel, a 3" chamber and a fixed Cyclinder choke ( so no changeable screw in chokes ) ...and I see list price is $ 689 ...and I don't know what the average selling price is ...not a model I've seen but I'd guess its retailing for around $ 575 - $ 600.

With the bottom ejection - and neutral cast ...I agree, its a good gun for a lefty.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:18 AM   #4
ClydeFrog

Thanks Big Jim; even more ?s....

Thx for the data dump.
As the classic LAPD TV detective; Lt Columbo would say; "Just a few more questions, sir..."....
How many 12ga shells does the factory stock BPS All Weather pump hold?
Also can this BPS model safely fire 00 buck, rifled slugs(hunting type) or LE/tactical 12ga loads?
The stainless format is a nice touch. I was thinking it was Robar NP3/NP3+ or a after market coating.
Black-T or Bearcoat.com would seem worth it but maybe un-needed if the BPS is stainless steel & nickel.
I don't care for the "Hi-Viz" sights(either on handguns or long-guns).
The Browning BPS line also doesn't lend itself to custom add-ons or a lot of stuff like the 870/1100 or 500/590 models either.

ClydeFrog
Old December 2, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
BigJimP

I'm not a tactical shotgun expert...so to some extent you're asking the wrong guy ..../ but yes, I agree that the bulk of aftermarket stuff - that guys like to add on to tactical shotguns ..are more for the mossberg or remington mfg'd guns...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...acity-firearms

I can only go based on what Browning says on the gun ( but it looks like the capacity is 5 rounds / and I suspect its 5 rounds of 2 3/4" shells - not 3" shells ) where it might only be 4 rounds of 3" shells. But if you need more data - I'd suggest you call Browning or go see the gun at a local retailer.

With a fixed open cyclinder choke - yes, it ought to be able to fire any type of tactical ammo you want to shoot ( in 12ga of course ) - up to the max of the 3" chamber / so you can't shoot any 3 1/2" shells .. Remember shotshells are measured after they're fired - not before.

As a leftie - I still thing a BPS is probably a smart choice for you.

Another company you probably want to check out is Wilson Combat - along with their high end handguns / they specialize in a line of tactical shotguns ...and they'll either customize your gun / or you can buy 4 or 5 models from them ( I think all on the Rem 870 platform ) but they might have others. They're good folks - especially on the handgun side ( I've dealt with them a lot ) ...and I have buddies that have some of their tactical shotguns and they're very happy with them.

Benelli also makes a nice tactical semi-auto ---the M-4 / which I think is a pretty nice gun / I've fired them a little at my local range. One of my boys was a Marine - and he spoke highly of the military version...

but I think you have a lot of options out there these days if you want a tactical shotgun...depending on your budget ( some of these options will get up around $2,000 ) but its better to look at everything / and shoot as many as you can - before you buy.

Everybody should buy and shoot what they want ...but I do think there is a difference between a "Tactical or Fighting Shotgun" vs a "defensive shotgun". A pump gun with a 26" or 28" barrel is not the optimum for "Tactical Fighting" ...but it can sure be a "defensive" gun. And only as an observation ...a bunch of my sons buddies - all in their 30's --- went out and bought versions of the Mossberg and Rem's 18" or 20" or whatever ...fixed cyclinder chokes ...and they all shot them a little ( like 100 shells ) ...and now, for the most part --- none of them have fired them in at least 2 yrs ...but they're all looking for semi-autos or O/U shotguns to come out and shoot some sporting clays with ....and almost all of them - said they think the tactical shotguns are cool ...but they were a waste of money ...and have turned instead to a variety of handguns as "primary defensive" weapons. So just think this thing thru ...

I have 50 or more guns in my safe ....and no "tactical" shotguns ...but I don't feel like I've left something out ....or "black rifles" either.../ they can be cool ...and if you want one /buy one. But I don't feel like my collection is incomplete without them .../ that's why I say I don't need em / don't want em ...I'm very happy with a well made Wilson Combat 1911 in .45 acp as my primary defensive weapon. I have well over 20,000 rds thru that Wilson ...and its never once let me down ...and it still looks good / and shoots great !

Last edited by BigJimP; December 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old December 3, 2011, 02:32 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Browning holiday 2011 tax special...

I saw Browning is also offering a "tax free" special for the holiday season.

Ho ho ho, indeed.
I like the All Weather 12ga but now my bud/production partner & I are drooling over some custom Super Shortys; www.Serbu.com .
He wants a 870 model, I would want a custom 870 left hand if the gunsmiths can whip it up.
ClydeFrog