The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 1, 2010, 09:47 AM   #1
srkavanagh6621

Meat Seeker Broadhead Report

I grew up using some pretty basic broad heads that my dad had laying around but this year I decided to try something a little different. I shelled out the $30 for 3 meat seeker broadheads. I have always been a huge fan of archery hunting but have not got to do it the last couple of years due to college football. Stuff keeps you to busy to get any hunting in. Anyways I have been sitting quite a bit with some real nice bucks lurking around but nothing close enough yet. I have been passing up doe after doe and last night decided to test out the meatseekers on one of those big old does. She was only about 25 yrds and I made a very good shot (expected at that range) and was surprised at the amount of blood those things drew. There was blood 4 feet on each side of where she ran. She only made it 35 yrds tops before she flopped over but am now a true believer of these mechanical broadheads. The cut that was made through the deer was unbelievable and made a huge wound channel. I defiantly wont shy away from using these on one of those big bucks that will hopefully be walking by sometime this week. Moral of the story I would recommend these expensive little broadheads to anybody. They preformed just how they were suppose to. Great product.
Old November 1, 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
bamaranger

mechanicals

Yeah, mech heads are the in thing, but I still shoot very traditional points.
Even my favorite bowhunt celebrity is endorsing the things, he who shot fingers and heavy arrows for years.

Your effective range is much better than mine, 25 yds is about my limit.

Good hunting, watch the wind.
Old November 2, 2010, 10:21 AM   #3
davlandrum

Mechanical broadheads still illegal in Oregon. I am OK with that, except I think they have been around long enough now to be proven technology. I wouldn't switch even if they changed the regs. Montec G5's are my broadhead of choice.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 2, 2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I also appreciate the performance of the mechanical broadheads. One word of warning though, you must make sure that your equipment produces enough kinetic energy so that you get adequate penetration with the larger heads.

Anything over approximately 1 1/2 inches requires something in the neighborhood of at least60 ft/lbs of energy if your shot is anything less than perfectly broadside and/or you hit a the close side shoulder bone.

Particularly, Rage broadheads require tremendous energy from your bow for anything other than a perfect broadside hit on relatively soft animals.
Old November 3, 2010, 12:57 AM   #5
shortwave

Having shot a decent range of both fixed and mechanical broadheads , IMO its just hard to beat a good mechanical. One that has great penetration, is durable, opens every time, has NO little rubber bands/doodads holding them closed:barf:, flies just the same as your practice fieldpoints and creates a wound channel second to non.
About 15 yrs ago a bow rep. introduced me to just that broadhead.

The 'Gator'.

I knew the bow rep. and he was not affiliated with the Gators company. I had alot of respect for his opinion's when it came to bowhunting tools.

It's a two bladed, scissor type broadhead that opened on contact and was designed that if one of the blades would hit bone, that blade would close and re-open after it passed the bone. They were a very basic,effective design.

Problem is, they don't make them anymore .

Don't know why. Maybe a competing mechanical bh co. bought them out.

I've been searching for something similar.
Sure wish they were still around as I've only got a few left.
Old November 3, 2010, 04:26 PM   #6
davlandrum

Shortwave - these?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...rodDescription

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 3, 2010, 05:25 PM   #7
shortwave

WOW! . Yes, davlandrum. Those are it!

Thank You for finding them.

If you want a great mechanical give them a try.

If you do, when you get them, carefully work the blades in and out. Put some cooking oil on the pivots.
I also forgot to mention in my orig. post that with the razor tip they stick at virtually any angle.

Thanks again dav.
Old November 3, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
davlandrum

Shortwave - I would like to say it was a significant challenge, but I just googled "Gator Broadheads" and it magically appeared.

Can't try 'em, all mechanicals are illegal here.

Old November 3, 2010, 07:08 PM   #9
shortwave

The archery shop I frequented about two yrs. ago carried Gator's. I used to send a few people there to purchase them. The last person I sent there(again about two yrs ago) was told that Gator's were no longer made.
I went there some time later for other reasons and asked the manager about Gator's and he told me the same thing.

I've never seen them in reg. stores around here so I just assumed I was told correctly. Never bothered Googling. Just took him for his word.

Guess I shouldn't have ASS -umed, huh! .
Old November 3, 2010, 08:01 PM   #10
grubbylabs

I am a fixed blade man my self but I don't have any thing against mechanicals.

30 bucks for a set of BH's is about standard for fixed or mechanicals around here. Although I do only pay about 20-25 bucks for the magnuss stingers I shoot.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 3, 2010, 08:10 PM   #11
shortwave

You fixed blade guys ever used 'snuffers'?
Old November 3, 2010, 08:32 PM   #12
YARDDOG(1)

Fixed blades

They are Awsome, Muzzy 3 Blades Never had one go too far ; ) JMO
Y/D
Old November 3, 2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Deerhunter

I shoot the 100 grain Spitfires. I haven't had a problem with them opening. They fly great. I used fixed blades before and had them flutter and I missed. Went into my local outfitter store and talked to the archery guys. Some of them shoot competitions and are sponsored. Again I have not had any issue. Not all my shots on deer have been pass throughs but They don't go far after a hit. I have had a couple flip over right there. I am shooting a Hoyt Havotec set at 65 pounds. I have no problems with 40 yards on the range. I don't shoot over 25 sometimes 30 yards when hunting though.