The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 31, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Dis-1-Shooter

No wimpy powder....40 S&w

Hello everyone, I am looking for a powder for 40 S&W that has a lot of recoil at max or near max levels. The extra powder that I have laying around are: Clays, Power Pistol, Bullseye, and WST. ANY powder recommendations would be awesome and thanks in advance.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I can't imagine why you'd want to maximize recoil in an already relatively abusive cartridge, but Power Pistol is likely to produce maximum velocity without exceeding book published numbers. Maximum velocity is likely to produce maximum recoil, except for the possibility of differences in "rocket effect" from the burned powder.

If you're looking for mythical load levels beyond anything published then 800x would likely be your friend. It has been used in loads that are far, FAR beyond anything you'll find in a manual. Do likewise at your own risk.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:46 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

not sure the powder will give you more recoil... you can try a heavier bullet tho... I use hodgen titegroup for my pistols...tho Ive heard that clays is good too.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
zxcvbob

Power Pistol ought to do it for you and you have that one already. WSF, 800X, AA#7, and HS-6 also are good choices. Maybe Blue Dot. There are lots of good powders.

Bullseye might surprise you (in a good way), especially with lighter-weight jacketed bullets.

Be careful, .40S&W is a very unforgiving cartridge. It's short and stubby and operates at very high pressures; not a good combination because small changes in seating depth can make a huge difference in chamber pressure.

Last edited by zxcvbob; August 31, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

C4.

The recoil is murder.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
C4.

The recoil is murder.

Is it still considered recoil if it's going in 1,000 different directions?
Old August 31, 2010, 02:07 PM   #7
TATER

Dis-1-Shooter
Wow, Come on my friend, 40 S&W is not the caliber to be doing this with...
Serious...40 is way too high pressure.
Dont hurt yourself or somebody next to you.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Dis-1-Shooter

I shoot IPSC and I currently use WST to push a 180gr about 920+ FPS which produces major power factor. This just my idea...if I load a near max load with Power Pistol and load two in the mag first, the last two shots fired should give me an indication that my mag is going to be empty...therefore time for a mag reload. I have tried this with WWB, and felt little difference in recoil due to adrenaline rush. Once again, just a thought/idea.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
TATER

Try to Pre-count, Before you start. Know where you “Should be” and drop just before. I Know,..... easier said.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:27 PM   #10
Raven Armament

Probably be easier to learn to count your shots when you are shooting.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Dis-1-Shooter

I do pre-count and try to round count while I fire...some time it just harder sometimes. I guess I should practice more. Thanks for all the reply.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:38 PM   #12
lll Otto lll

Use Blue Dot...if the recoil doesn't alert you the muzzle flash will and probably everyone else around you.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:22 PM   #13
Real Gun

Quote:
I shoot IPSC and I currently use WST to push a 180gr about 920+ FPS which produces major power factor. This just my idea...if I load a near max load with Power Pistol and load two in the mag first, the last two shots fired should give me an indication that my mag is going to be empty...therefore time for a mag reload. I have tried this with WWB, and felt little difference in recoil due to adrenaline rush. Once again, just a thought/idea.
I wonder about the premise, because I thought one had to shoot the same rated ammo throughout. It is certainly an interesting question.
Old August 31, 2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Uncle Buck

Seriously, These guys are not kidding about "an unforgivable cartridge" and you could be playing a very serious game.

Practice shot counts. Color the bottom of your magazines and learn the color and round count. (Blue base = two round magazine, red base = 5 round magazine, etc...)

We used a similar method for training in pistol matches in Korea. Place the magazines on the table and as you pick them up, remember the color equals the shots. The first few times you use this method, I guarantee you'll shoot awful, because you'll be more concerned with the rounds in the magazine than concentrating on the target.

The more you practice counting, the better your groups will be and before long, people will wonder how you are able to switch magazine so quickly. It is hard, but you can do it.

When all else fails, I would go with Mikes suggestion, C-4.
Old August 31, 2010, 06:08 PM   #15
steve4102

If you want a powder that will get your attention and still be within safe pressures, give Longshot a try.

Quote:
Serious...40 is way too high pressure.
Compared to what? It runs at the same pressure as the 9mm, less that the 9MM+P,38 Super, 10MM Auto and the 357 Sig.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:13 PM   #16
Loader9

If you are looking for more felt recoil, the faster burning powders will give you a sharper felt recoil. Since WST is on your list, I'd try that.
Old August 31, 2010, 08:19 PM   #17
AlaskaMike

Black powder.

Safe pressure and an unmistakable indicator that your mag is running dry.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:01 PM   #18
TXGunNut

Do you need a magnum primer w/ C4 or will a standard primer sufficiently scatter all the tiny bits?
Also using indicator loads sounds like gaming to me and nothing useful will be learned unless you carry this practice over to your carry mags, can't recommend that.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 31, 2010, 09:20 PM   #19
Remow2112

Powder

You can use aa-5 but listen to the other folks on this thread. The .40 is right on the line to begin with and with the number of case failures on this board alone! I wouldn't be getting crazy with it.
Old September 1, 2010, 05:44 AM   #20
sonnycrockett

I have some Longshot.......I hate it , its a recoil monster for me
with plenty of muzzle flash........
Old September 1, 2010, 07:05 AM   #21
steve4102

Quote:
I have some Longshot.......I hate it , its a recoil monster for me
with plenty of muzzle flash........
Yup, and that's what the OP is looking for.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:54 AM   #22
lmccrock

If you want more felt recoil, you want the powder which requires the greatest weight. A slower powder would accomplish this better. Clays is a bad choice since it does not take much to get max pressure, and it is easy to go way over.

Quote:
I wonder about the premise, because I thought one had to shoot the same rated ammo throughout. It is certainly an interesting question
Don't know about IPSC, but in USPSA, as long as you meet minimum power factor, you are fine.

Lee
Old September 1, 2010, 08:23 AM   #23
wingman

My first thought here is buy a bigger caliber when i see people reloading max loads looking for Magnum performance say from a 223 why not purchase a 458 magnum.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:45 AM   #24
spacecoast

Quote:
the last two shots fired should give me an indication that my mag is going to be empty...therefore time for a mag reload
This should solve your "when is the mag empty?" issue...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...ry-tracer-ammo
Old September 1, 2010, 10:34 AM   #25
Jimbo-Indy

Longshot is my favorite powder for heavy loads in 40 S&W. I find it gives max velocities with heavy bullets (155 or 180 gr.) while staying within recommended pressure limits. It produces excellent results in 10mm too.
The load I use most is 7.6 gr. Longshot under a 180 gr. Rainier plated flat-nose and Winchester or CCI small pistol primers. This load clocked right at 1050 FPS out of a Browning HP Practical. Worked good for bowling pins.