The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 28, 2010, 01:46 PM   #26
TXJohn

Imperial- never stuck a case ever!!!!
Old August 28, 2010, 02:29 PM   #27
farmerboy

Theres so many on here that use Imperial, Ive never tried it. I started with RCBS lube about 15 years ago. same bottle today after probably i would guess around 3000 rifle rounds, pistols i use carbide dies. Anyway still have 3/4 of bottle and never yet stuck a case. Dont see any reason to swith if what is working is working great.
Old August 30, 2010, 04:05 PM   #28
50 shooter

Best kept secret in the industry... Hornady's "Unique" case lube, comes in a tub about 5 times the size of Imperial and costs about the same or less. Great stuff, never had a stuck case even when lubing the big 50 BMG cases.
No time for rearranging.
Old August 30, 2010, 04:43 PM   #29
Osageshooter

RCBS is very good ... but messy. I've used Dillon's spray with good results, but if you get too much spray on the shoulder, you will dent cases.
Old September 4, 2010, 12:41 PM   #30
Blacklabelz

I've had good results with Dillon case lube. Think I picked a spray bottle of it up at Cabela's for 8.99 a few years back.

I've never had a stuck .223 case with this stuff.
Old September 4, 2010, 01:06 PM   #31
wncchester

"What in your opinion is the best case lube to use in resizing bottleneck cases, that makes the least mess ? "

So, would you believe there is a tie for "best" with about twenty.

The least messy, easiest to apply and easy to clean off your fingers reduces that to maybe Hornady's Unique, Redding's Imperial, Kiwi "Mink Oil" and "Snow-Proof" boot treatment waxes, Lee's in the white tooth paste tube, all quickly applied with the finger tips as you pick up each case. The worst in those qualities are any of the oily stuff such as RCBS and STP used on a grimy pad.

Spray lubes are quick and easy enough but it's NOT the best lube nor is it very clean due to lots of overspray mess.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:06 PM   #32
TXGunNut

Been using Hornady One Shot for several years. I'll put 30 or so rifle cases in a 2 qt saucepan and spray about two seconds. Then I shake the pan & spray again, quite often repeat a third time. I clean before & after w/ same media, BTW. No muss, no fuss.
Getting curious about Imperial tho. One Shot can lasts awhile but it's not cheap.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:26 PM   #33
riverwalker76

I use Unique case lube. It works good on my .223 & .308 brass, and I only have to lube every 5th case.
Old September 4, 2010, 10:39 PM   #34
3Bn/8th INF

Lee works for me

I have tried them all, I load some weird calibers, Lee works for me.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:31 PM   #35
duck911

Imperial. Hands down. No contest!
Old September 5, 2010, 12:52 PM   #36
p5200

I'm new to reloading and didn't know what to order so I ordered the Hornady Unique and with what little I've done so far, it has seemed to work fine.
Old September 5, 2010, 04:33 PM   #37
Sevens

I love Hornady's tools and I love their bullets (maybe some of the BEST on the market) and I think their factory ammo is high quality stuff. I'm completely on board with Hornady all the way.

But I swear on my life that 75% of the times I ever hear people talking about "their first stuck case in a sizing die", it's Hornady One-Shot that was their lube.

I've never been about speed at the load bench. Imperial is good enough that I don't feel the need to goof with others.
Old September 5, 2010, 06:34 PM   #38
m&p45acp10+1

Ok here is one that works extremely well for me. I is silicone based personal lubricant. I put a drop or two will do a lot of my .221 Rem Fireball. I was getting bad lube dents reforiming .223 to .221 with RCBS, and Lee. I had a small sample bottle that came with with a box of condoms. It does work very well. It wipes off with rag easily. It is also water soluable, and washes off hands with normal soap and water.
Old September 5, 2010, 08:20 PM   #39
sserdlihc

Quote:
I can also verify that One Shot does not work, at least on my 30-06 cases.
I resized .308 brass today and ran into some trouble with OneShot. I went back with RCBS and case pad.
Old September 5, 2010, 09:36 PM   #40
medalguy

I've tried most of the sprays and didn't like any of them. have used Yellow Jacket wire lube and it worked pretty well but was really messy. I have used RCBS lube for many years but recently tried Imperial and I agree with everyone who recommends it. It's the best lube I've ever used and I don't think I'll go back to any of the others.