The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1
41mag10mm

1911 ejector check

I have a month old Springfield GI Champion which is the 4" version. I've put about 200 rounds through it the past month and have had no problems with FTF or FTE. Yesterday however I ran some 200gr Gold Dot's through it and had a bit of surprise. They ejected straight back either over my head or straight into my face. It's a darn good thing I had my safety glasses on. Is there anything I can do to correct this?
Old February 24, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
Is there anything I can do to correct this?
Yes, don't shoot that ammo. Just kidding. Yes it can be fixed, fit the extractor and slightly radius the extractor hook. Also, you may want to consider a King's Slide Buffer.
Old February 24, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

In addition, you can take a diamond hone and tweak the nose of the ejector. The one I was taught looks like the right side example in the image below, and tends to encourage the cases to throw a little higher and more to the right. The only drawback is if your gun doesn't have a rollover notch along the back edge of the ejection port, the faster spin it imparts may ding a few more case mouths.

I saw a bullseye match gun do what yours is doing one time. The gun's user was not its normal owner, but his girlfriend. She just didn't have enough solid mass behind the gun. A light grip or failing to straighten the elbow behind it can let the gun flip up and rotate counter clockwise enough angle the ejection port toward the shooter's face. The solutions are to alter the grip, install a square bottom EGW type firing pin stop to delay opening a little (this reduces flip), or to try a heavier recoil spring. The lighter the gun and more powerful the load, the more chance there is of this happening.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 24, 2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old February 25, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
41mag10mm

Quote:
Yes, don't shoot that ammo
Exactly!

Unclenick - thanks for all the info. I took it apart yesterday and checked the ejector. It is fit to the frame very well with no gap and no movement. At least that's not an issue. I'm not real clear on the angle of the ejector. If I mount the ejector in a vise and look at it from the side, the plane of the original angle is 90 degrees. Would I change that to maybe 88?

I also noticed something else during disassembly. The barrel is a 4" bull type as no bushing is used. With the slide locked forward, the barrel is resting against the lower right quadrant when looking at the muzzle. The gun shoots to the lower left which I believe is due to this. I haven't put it back together yet but will measure the gap at the opposite side to see how much I have. I would think the barrel would be better floating or being supported equally around instead of being angled at one side.
Old February 26, 2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

90 degrees is the norm, as my left picture showed. If you look closely at the right picture, that little square at the lower right is the original 90 degree surface. I have simply removed material around it at an angle of around twenty degrees. The angle isn't critical as only that little square now hits the cases.

Check that the barrel link lugs are riding up onto the assembly pin evenly. It's not uncommon for a barrel to be tilted slightly when it is fit up, especially if the barrel extension (hood) was incorrectly centered when it was fit? That's a commonly made error because the hood isn't symmetrical around the vertical centerline, and you have to set up to insure you fit it correctly. Unfortunately refitting, once metal has been removed, requires someone good with a TIG welder to do the best job of building fresh metal up to refit.

Also, in some instances people try to shortcut fitting by using a long link without fitting the link lugs. Such barrels often tilt going into battery.
Old March 1, 2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Ivan

Does the gun have a standard length ejector? I have had that problem with standard ejectors. The pictures in UncleNick's post are of extended ejectors. I usually get an extended ejector and cut it down a bit in length. I believe what is happening is that the cases are thrown sideways and hit the lower edge of the ejection port which sends them straight up and back.

- Ivan.
Old March 1, 2010, 08:03 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Well, that brings up the reason Goldcups have a lowered ejection port, which may be an issue? And, yes, those are Commander style extended ejectors, designed to get the casing out faster.