The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Some Information regarding Aimpoint Magnifiers

To whom it may concern

I did some research recently as I was setting up my new rifle. I topped it with an Aimpoint compM4s and the Aimpoint 3x-C commercial magnifier with the larue pivot lever mount.

Aimpoint has 3 different Magnifiers. A 3x-commercial, a 3xmag-1 (military) and a 6x.

First off, via the aimpoint rep, the 6x is designed for the newer H2 and T2....not the comp4 or lower end Patrol optics. It will not look good and will greatly distort the dot.

The 3x will work with any Aimpoint red dot.
So then I wondered why the 3x-c was $350 less than the 3xmag-1(military)? They had basically the same specs but $350 more?

Well the rep explained that the main difference is that the military 3x is submersible down to about 25 meters while the commercial is submersible down to 1 meter. And during an ultra high altitude, low cabin pressure jump, the military version will better handle it over and over. Plus, Aimpoint tests every single optic device individually and it is easier to test down to 1 meter under water than 25.
Also,the commercial version is more forgiving.
However, one area where there is some practical difference is thermal night vision. The military version will work better with some night vision than the commercial.
So, there is actually a 3xmag, vs a 3xmag-1 where the 3x mag has the night vision thermal capibilities but not the submersible or high altitude stuff.

The military version does have 1/4" more eye relief, but that isn't enough for $350 more than an already $375 optic.

So, long story short, unless you are being inserted into combat via submarine or high altitude jump, or using thermal night vision, get the commercial 3x-C and spend the extra $375 or so on ammo. Same glass, same quality, both built like tanks, but one can stand a nuclear blast while the other can only handle a direct hit by a MOAB.

Also, the 6x is only for the T2 and H2.

Hope this helps someone who is looking for one of these.

Last edited by Stats Shooter; September 28, 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old September 30, 2017, 07:39 AM   #2
agtman

Quote:
* * * Also, the 6x is only for the T2 and H2.
Hope this helps someone who is looking for one of these.
Thanks for the info. But for folks running the older (1st Gen) T1/H1 models, will the 6x magnifier work with those?
Old September 30, 2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Stats Shooter

I think so but I would call Aimpoint and verify before spending over 1k

Tags
aimpoint 3x-c , aimpoint 6x magnifier , aimpoint magnifier