The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2013, 03:28 PM   #26
9x19

I sold the knurled broom-stick bolt handle that came on mine as it needed it's own space in the rifle rack, and replaced it with a standard bolt handle ($8). I think the weight dropped about 2lbs as well.

I've been using the itty-bitty bolt knobs for so long, they feel natural to me.

Here's a close-up pic of the bolt knob compared to the "over-sized" knob on Savage's .22 (Mk II FV-SR).

Old November 5, 2013, 03:40 PM   #27
riggins_83

Quote:
Do you carry it in a soft case, and is it hard to close the case with the bolt in the gun?

Knurled is probably the word you were looking for, but stippled gets the point across.

Thank you, that's the word I was looking for . I carry in a square soft case.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:16 AM   #28
Lex

Anyone know where a guy can still find one of these? I've looked all over and can't find one for the life of me
Old November 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #29
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19
I sold the knurled broom-stick bolt handle that came on mine as it needed it's own space in the rifle rack, and replaced it with a standard bolt handle ($8). I think the weight dropped about 2lbs as well.

I've been using the itty-bitty bolt knobs for so long, they feel natural to me.

Here's a close-up pic of the bolt knob compared to the "over-sized" knob on Savage's .22 (Mk II FV-SR).
Wow. That thing is huge. I may have to rethink about getting the model with that huge bolt handle. Thanks for the photo. Worth 1,000 words.
Old November 12, 2013, 06:30 AM   #30
Rio-Bravo

Mine, after some upgrades. I paid $450 for the rifle itself, which I purchased at a military/police only dealer. I've bought some other things for it as you can tell. I was pretty excited when I had this thing at the range in the pouring down rain shooting .5 MOA with some 175gr and 168gr SMK's. The only negative thing about this gun I've found is how inconsistent it shoots the lighter 150gr bullets. They tend to scatter everywhere, but I'm going to try some 155gr Hornady Match bullets this weekend and see how they do.
Old November 12, 2013, 07:18 AM   #31
Mr.RevolverGuy

Rio,

Please let me know how the 155's go. Because I agree with you mine shoots 150's like a shot gun, no matter what load or powder which I have tried 4 different powders and about 16 different 150 loads.
Old November 12, 2013, 07:30 AM   #32
precision_shooter

My 18" barrel 10P-SR shoots 155gr Berger VLD's and 155gr AMAX's into <1 inch 5-shot groups at 100 yds using 46gr of Varget with mixed brass and CCI #200 LR primers.. Haven't tried anything heavier yet but plan on trying some 165, 168, 175, and 178gr bullets.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 12, 2013, 11:40 AM   #33
wingspar

This thread and an email to Savage has really helped me understand the letters behind the model number so I can finally make sense of them and make the choice of which model I want. The 10 TR looks intriguing, but I think I’m going to pass. The size of that bolt handle seems like overkill, and I don’t really need a Picatinny rail.

Knowing what the letters mean, There is no correlation to the letters and what they mean. For instance “K” means that it has a muzzle brake. Why would they use “K” and not something like “MB” for Muzzle Brake? I dunknow. Anyway, glad I found this thread.
Old November 13, 2013, 05:27 PM   #34
coldbeer

I was gonna buy a savage hoghunter next week but this model looks interesting. It looks like they share the same barrel.
Old November 14, 2013, 02:31 PM   #35
wingspar

How critical is barrel length. I think I’ve decided on the 10 FP-SR in .308. I’m seeing them for about $640 to $670 in 22-inch and 24-inch barrels. Wondering if there is any significant advantage of one or the other barrel length?

This will be a bench gun only. No hunting, so I am not concerned with weight. Actually, heavier would be good for taming recoil. It will be very rare to find anyplace around here that I can get out beyond 100 yards, but I don’t want to rule that out.
Old November 14, 2013, 05:02 PM   #36
precision_shooter

Barrel length is important for velocity. Higher velocity means the bullet stays supersonic longer for distances.

With that being said, my 10P-SR is only 18" and is still good out to 600-800 yds.
Search google for "Savage 22076". Cost me $550 shipped to my FFL from Tombstone Tactical.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 17, 2013, 11:34 AM   #37
Rio-Bravo

Quote:
Rio,

Please let me know how the 155's go. Because I agree with you mine shoots 150's like a shot gun, no matter what load or powder which I have tried 4 different powders and about 16 different 150 loads.
I did some shooting this weekend with my Savage 10 TR and I found the 155gr Hornady Steel Match rounds to be surprisingly good. I shot the whole box of 50 and got some very tight groups, some less than 1/2 MOA, with the average being about 3/4 MOA at 100 yards. I paid $42 for the box of 50. I pay $28 for a 20 round box of 175 or 168gr Federal SMK's and get about the same results. A lot of people are posting some poor reviews on the Hornady Steel match bullets about having bad primers or feeding issues. I didn't run into a single issue the whole day with them. Very good for the money! I also shot some Winchester 180gr Bonded hollow points and they shot ok. My buddy also brought his 10 TR to the range and shot some Federal 7.62X51 NATO ball 147gr ammo to zero his gun since he had just bought it, and he actually was getting some 1" groups with it. I was very impressed.
Old November 17, 2013, 06:13 PM   #38
riggins_83

I'm going to try some factory loaded Hornady Amax 168. Every 308 Savage rifle I've had seems do well with it.
Old November 22, 2013, 02:32 PM   #39
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter
Barrel length is important for velocity. Higher velocity means the bullet stays supersonic longer for distances.

With that being said, my 10P-SR is only 18" and is still good out to 600-800 yds.
Search google for "Savage 22076". Cost me $550 shipped to my FFL from Tombstone Tactical.
Thanks. That’s pretty much what I figured. Most I’m seeing for sale are 22" and 24" barrels. I’m looking at the 22". I may never see anything beyond 100 yards around here.