The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 25, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Dearhunter61

Do any of you video your hunts?

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you video your hunt? If so I have a few questions because I would like to try to video some of my deer hunts this year.

First how far can you effectively use your Camcorder? 100 Yards? 200 Yards?

Second what kind of Camcorder do you use? Do you use one with a SD memory card? Is it HD? How much difference does it make with HD? What is your zoom?

What I want is a good camcorder that uses SD card, HD and is effective out to 150-200 yards.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old October 25, 2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Fat White Boy

Not that I break any laws while hunting, in fact, I do everything I can to abide by the law, BUT, if I inadvertently break some obscure Fish and Game reg, I don't want my own property to convict me. So, no, I don't video my hunts. I do take photos after the hunt some of which I post here.
Old October 26, 2010, 12:41 AM   #3
FrontSight

I have an ikam extreme camera that I sometimes use when I can. Takes a few secs to turn on though so its not always possible to use it.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:48 AM   #4
gaseousclay

i'm surprised no one has invented the rifle-cam
Old October 26, 2010, 02:05 PM   #5
davlandrum

I have a video of them in my head. Good enough for me.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 26, 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
dzavoina

[/quote]i'm surprised no one has invented the rifle-cam [/quote]

Bushnell has a rifle cam. It mounts to the scope tube. They call it the "Videocam"

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/videoscope/737000V/
Old October 27, 2010, 04:46 PM   #7
GAR700

Some buddies videod some antelope hunts this year. They got video of one going down at 650 yards and another at 450. A little grainy but not bad... I think they use a camera with an actual tape but i am not sure. Not sure how much zoom they had either.
Old October 30, 2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Zen Archery

i video all my hog/varmint hunts. I've used sony camera's exclusively. I can push 200 yards day time easily. 100 yards night time using infrared equipment.

Video Archieve
Old October 30, 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
hooligan1

There is also an older couple who invented the gun-cam, and has a hunting show, although the name of it escapes me.. Sometimes I wish I videoed some of my hunts, and other times I'm glad I don't!!! (no one wants to see footage of me sleeping)
Old October 30, 2010, 05:41 PM   #10
Countertop

I've videod two hunts. One last winter when I saw nothing. Took the video camera out on Friday morning deer hunting. Shot a deer at 20 yards but it didn't show up on tape because it was too dark and I didn't have the nigh vision on (it was 2 minutes after shooting light).

Only other deer I saw that morning was a 6 pointer at 400 yards (didn't shoot it because it's a QDM lease and need 8points outside the ears or bigger) and I didn't have the camera going. Also saw about 20 deer out nearly 900 yards down the shooting lane. Too far to shoot but you can see them in the video I shot.

Also saw a flock of 10 turkeys come out of a tree and walked up to about 20 yards of our stand. That was cool and made for great video.
Old October 31, 2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Logs

I use my Sony Cybershot camera an a 2mb card. It is pretty easy to use with a tent blind or shooting house. When in a tent blind I use one of the shooting sticks you can buy at Walmart for $10. Unscrew the V on the stick and screw the stick into the base of your camera. Stick it in the ground and you are ready to go. My camera was around $100 on sale at Cosco you don't need an high $$$ camcorder. IMO when starting out.
Old November 1, 2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Countertop

Here's my first try at recording a hunt and using iMovie.

Its not much, but its a start. This was sort of addicting, and now that I figured out iMovie, I'm looking forward to more and better video
Old November 6, 2010, 05:44 PM   #13
FrontSight

Yes and with any luck I will be videoing a small game hunt tomorrow and dedicating it to a couple of wacko anti hunters
Old November 6, 2010, 06:13 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I don't even own a vid cam... But if I did... I wouldn't video a hunt nor a trip to the grocery store... Hog doggin is far too boring then hectic and gun huntin is the same as a trip to the store for me.

Brent