The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Lead Express

Powder check die on a Lee Loadmaster

Hello again, folks.

I come with yet another question, as I'm exploring a few possibilities of my current setup. I'm really liking the idea of having a powder check die on my press as of recent for ease of use and mind. But the questions is; Where do I put the dang thing. Any suggestions? My setup is very standard and is shown below:

Lee Loadmaster

Loading .357 magnum, .38 special, and .40sw.

Stations:
1-Decap and resize
2-Prime
3-Bell case and powder charge
4-Seat bullet
5-Crimp

How would I fit a powder check die here without going back to crimping and seating at the same time (not as consistent as I like it to be)?

I was thinking of adding a step into station two, but common sense and self preservation tell me that charging whilst priming is a no-no.

Any help is always much appreciated.
Old February 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Jim243

Since 38 spl and 357 Mag uses a roll crimp, you should be using your seating die for this and not the FCD, and since 40 S&W does not use a crimp, you should have an extra slot open if using the 4 hole Lee Classic Turret press that you can use for your powder check die.

For rifle I do all case prep and priming before using the press and this is what it looks like.

Jim