The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 5, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1
bjones870

States with least gun laws?

Im sure this came up before, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to know what states have the fewest gun laws? I'm really interested to learn about South Dakota, Nebraska, and Wyoming. Thanks!

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old October 5, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
ammorelds

i live in south dakota and we have basically no laws on guns....still have conceiled lisences but you can buy just about any gun you want execpt automatic of course.....we also reconize all states conceiled permits....you can hunt big game with silencers also.....my cousin just moved to wyoming for school and he just found out that not only do they reconize his conceiled you dont have to have one there!!!
Old October 5, 2011, 10:34 AM   #3
American Made

Utah, Idaho, Alaska, Oklahoma, and California ( The last one was a joke )
Old October 5, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Hardcase

If you go by the Brady Center criteria, Alaska, Arizona and Utah are the winners (they score zero out of a hundred). Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Kentucky, Montana and Oklahoma are next in line with two points.

California got an 80, New Jersey scored 72.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...ing_system.pdf
Old October 5, 2011, 11:46 AM   #5
hermannr

Vermont probably wins this distinction. Hands down.

You have look at what the actual laws are, where, and where not you can OC or CC, if you have to inform the police when you are stopped and a lot of other things. Vermont has never had a concealed permit, you do not need one.

Wyoming has no permit necessary for their residents. If you wish to conceal, and you are from out-of-state, you need a permit they recognize.

Alaska has "must inform", and Arizona, at least locally, has some courts that are stomping on gun owner rights.

Idaho has very good gun laws, and WA is not too bad (they were better in WA prior to 1961, and 1994) OC with no permit, and CC must issue, you can even carry into the state Capitol building. Total state pre-emption so you don't need to worry about screwy local laws.
Old October 5, 2011, 11:55 AM   #6
Patriot86

@ Hard

LOL! Illinois only scores 35? I guess to get 100% you need to totally ban the sale and private ownership of firearms...Cali is only an 80 so that tells you something.
Old October 5, 2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Don P

FLA did good at 5. Great place to live except for the heat and humidity. Why am I here????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

Hard to beat Kentucky as being very gun friendly. The laws are also pretty straight foward and easy to understand and obey.