The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Nathan

Slug gun accuracy

I'm wondering what kind of accuracy you are getting from sabot slugs at 100 yards. What is your setup?

Sav 930 truglo dot on a receiver base 6-8" at 100 yds off a solid rest.

Rem 1100 tasco red dot on a receiver pin style base 8-12" at 100 yds.

Both are running2 3/4" 3/4 oz Fusion Sabots.

So, what is yours, especially if you have a cantilever base??
Old December 9, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2
MTT TL

Minute of clay at 100 meters off hand. It hits a clay every time. Every single time. I think it is actually tighter than that but I don't shoot at anything but clays with my slug gun at that range.

1187 with factory rifled cantilevered slug barrel
Cheap Barska 2X turkey scope with shoot through rings
Synthetic standard stock

It also has a mag extension, side saddle and a cheap laser/ light combo on it that is surprisingly accurate (at close ranges) and reliable.

I am not crazy about shotguns but this thing is great for a variety of uses.
Old December 9, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Slug gun accuracy

I never got even acceptable accuracy with my rifled 1187. I tried Rem Core-Lokt, Hornady SST, a Winchester 2100fps something and finally Remington Accu-Tips.

I think I got about as good as 10" at 100 yards. My smooth bore 870 would do far better. It would even shoot the saboted SST better at 50 yards than the 1187 did. Same scope too.

However, my uncle has a Browning Gold (with the same model scope even) that shoots plenty good enough even at 200 yards with the Remington Accutips. Every year he shoots 2 slugs at 200 yards and they're always at about 2".
Old December 9, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4
MTT TL

I am not surprised. The 1187 had a variety of QC issues for a while. I think I just got lucky and ended up with a good one. At 50 meters on paper all the holes touch. Normally at ranges 50+ I use the scope cross hairs.

Mostly I shoot Winchester and Remington ammo whichever is cheapest. I figure I have close to 500 rounds through the barrel.

Out of the box the other barrel (bead sight also rifled) shot to the left about eight feet at 25 meters. I took it off and put the cantilever one on there and have not switched back yet, not even out of idle curiosity. That was about eight years ago.
Old December 9, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Jay24bal

I have an 870 with the fully rifled barreled and cantilevered base. I shoot Remington 3" Accutip Slugs from it.

I must have gotten a good one as I am never more than 2" from POA at 100 yards. Groups will tighten up when shot off of bags or something, but I only do that once a year to re-check zero on the scope. I believe in practicing with the gun in ways I use the gun, which for this means off-hand, kneeling, and from sticks all while using the sling as a brace as those are the shots I see in the deer woods.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old December 9, 2013, 08:27 PM   #6
Nathan

Thanks guys....would like to here more. If the platform can shoot under 5" at 100 yards in my hands, that is good enough, but I would like to see more info...
Old December 9, 2013, 09:59 PM   #7

I have a H&R Ultra Slugger 20 guage with a 2x7 Leopold VX II. That single shot heavy barrel is a tack driver with 2 3/4" Winchester Partition Golds. It will bench shoot an honest 2" group at 100 yards. I have taken about a dozen deer with it with about a third at 100 yards plus the longest at 164.

Look at the first picture with the gun.That was at 80 yards and look at the shot placement.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430422

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 9, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
globemaster3

Google National Slug Shooters Association. I think that is what they are called. Basically a group devoted to Benchrest slug shooting.

I have 2 setups, both Mossberg 500s, both with Trophy Slugster barrels, both with Nikon Slughunters. One is 12 ga, the other 20.

The 12 ga is acceptable. Probably 6" group at 100 yards IIRC (been a couple years since I shot it). The 20 ga is just horrible. I dropped hundreds of dollars into different sabots with nothing being acceptable.

The H&R series of slug guns have built up a reputation for accuracy as well as the Savage 2XX series. If I am put somewhere I need to use a slug gun again, one of those 2 setups will be it.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 10, 2013, 11:00 AM   #9
94bluerat

I am running an 1100 w/ a Hastings barrel and a Nikon scope. Best accuracy has come from the Federal Barnes Expanders. The 1 oz load printed 2 inches at 100 yrds off a bench. The old BRI sabot also printed this well but never really expanded on game.

Currently, I am shooting the Winchester Partition Gold. It does not group as well as the Federal, but hits very hard.

Recently I have started shooting the Barnes bullet out of the black powder rifle and have been very pleased. I may look back at that for the slug gun.

Rifleman
BSA Eagle Scout