The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2001, 08:32 PM   #1
Rail Gun

Dragons breath shotgun shells

Anyone ever tried these things? Are they a hoot or what? How much will they damage my barrel if I try them?
Old December 22, 2001, 09:15 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know what they are good for, might scare a defiant suspect or something, but they are definitely spectacular. Our FLD who loves gimmicks showed up at a pistol match and shotgun sidematch with some. They put out a lot of fire. Set a paper target on fire at 25 yards. Of course it was a used target, ragged around the bullet holes and easily lit, but it still surprised me. I don't know what kind of residue they leave in the barrel.
Old December 22, 2001, 09:46 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Hoot,schmoot. I value my shotguns too highly to try out stuff of dubious worth and uncertain need.

Exotic loads like this are egregious(G).

Shotgun Sports magazine had an online poll recently where they asked what was the dumbest thing anyone had done with a shotgun. One respondent mentioned a distress flare that got caught in his choke and heated up his bbl to red hot.

These things probably burn as hot or hotter. Catch my drift?....
Old December 22, 2001, 11:31 PM   #4
JosephBoeckner

ya

i was wondering hte same thing-same with the mini missle-hammer-detonator-shredder-chain reaction-bolo-flechette rounds

u can find them at auctionarms.com under survival gear

i was wondernig if these things would really screw up ur barrel?-especially the shredder and those others that shoot metal out of ur barrel-and the chain-that stuff will really mess up ur barrel i think!-i dont know anyone that has used em-probably only thing i was try them on is like a full choked H&R single shot thats barrel was already messed up-stock was cr@p and i wuld shoot it with a string with it sitting inside a tire pointing down range!

anyone here shot em?
Old December 23, 2001, 12:18 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The flechette round is the only one of those I have tried. They were loaded in a stout plastic wad-sabot to get a gas seal and protect the bore. But they did not fin-stabilize and hit the target either end first or sideways. All are silly gimmicks. But like I said, the DB is spectacular to look at.
Old December 23, 2001, 12:55 AM   #6
JIH

In the words of the late, great Phil Hartman.

"FIRE BAD!!!"
Old December 23, 2001, 01:06 AM   #7

One thing that I have always wondered about is what anyone thinks that a shotgun shell loaded with chain, carpet tacks, two balls held together with wire etc. would do that 00 buckshot wouldn't.
I know a guy who does shoot the Dragons Breath shells along with various gimmick shells he handloads like talcum powder mixed with the shot to create a white cloud. He uses them in informal trap shoots where they are shooting Annie Oakleys to screw with the other shooters. One thing to consider; these shells will cause a brush fire. My buddy started one during a trap shoot that took about 10 guys a half hour to knock down. If a fire department has to respond, they may send you the bill or possibly charge you with a crime for your negligence.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 23, 2001, 05:24 AM   #8
BIGSLOWHEAVY

The one that cracked me up was "The Hooker" If I remeber right it was 2 or 3 fish hooks attached to wire. I really can't imagine these things stopping a fight. I can imagine whoever you shot with it being extremely pissed.

Anybody else hear about a BG robbing liquor stores and shooting the clerks with 12ga SG loaded with crushed glass? Urban legend maybe?
Old December 23, 2001, 12:12 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Urban legend, IMO. It's so much easier to just use whatever shells are on hand, and armed robbers tend towards laziness.
Old December 25, 2001, 04:17 PM   #10
Mushinto

The Dragon's Breath round was originally marketed as a "crowd control" device. It would be interesting to try as it drenches the crowd with fire but no one will be really burned. Sort of like a giant roman candle.
We tried a bunch of there in an 870 when they came out. Lots of fun. Didn't like it for riots because the smoke and fire obscures your view of the crowd and since it is not only non-lethal but doesn't even hurt, the crowd could easily think it is being fired upon and shoot back with real ammo.
BTW, There was absolutely no damage to the weapon.
ML
Old December 25, 2001, 08:18 PM   #11
JosephBoeckner

ooh

so does it just make a reaction outside the barrel? or does it just leave some char on the inside?-is it really hot?-i might wanna try some of these lol