The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 28, 2001, 12:09 PM   #1
revolvergeek

Have not had much luck on a quick online search for brass shotshell. Anybody loading ammo in them?

I know they have to be expensive, but the thought of red or green plastic shells in for my cowboy shotgun is giving me hives. Anybody tried reloading them?
Old March 28, 2001, 09:00 PM   #2
Alex Johnson

The Old Western Scrounger has brass for the 12 guage. Some others do to. Your right, it is expensive, say about 10 cases for $35 or there abouts. Still, it's nice to look at. I read somewhere that somebody is making dies to reload the brass hulls and put a crimp on them as well, but I don't remember where I read it. You really don't have to crimp them for double barrels, just put a wad in the end and seal it with wax or glue, but you might have to crimp it on the pump guns.
Old March 28, 2001, 10:37 PM   #3
Doc Hudson

I can not remember where I saw them advertised, but I remember see an ad, not long ago, for brass hulled shotgun shells.

This was loaded ammunition imported from Russia. The price was not unreasonably his if you are dead set on brass hulls. I am pretty sure the cost for a box of twenty was less that the price quoted for Old West Scrounger brass, but I can not swear to it.

Sorry I can not be more help, but the stuff is out there. Good luck finding it.

Doc Hudson
Old March 29, 2001, 10:30 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you look around hard enough you may find some brass hulled Remington 12 gauge loads. I have half a tin of the Ducks Unlimited 50th Anniversary commemorative. I would imagine they made them for other special events also.
Old March 29, 2001, 11:06 AM   #5
Quantrill

Brass Shotgun Shells

I believe the "Ducks Unlimited" rounds are Berdan primed. I have some that are marked "B.E.L.L. I think that stands for Bell Extrusion Labratory Limited. I bought these from a small gunshop in South Jersey a few years ago. They are boxer primed. Quantrill
Old March 29, 2001, 11:28 AM   #6
revolvergeek

Thanks for the info everybody. I should have thought to check with O.W.S.; I have an old catalog of theirs on my shelf at home.

I had not heard about the Russian ammo. Hmmm have to check around on that.

That is kinda amusing; Russian brass 12 ga ammo, Chinese Winchester 1897 copies, what's next??
Old March 29, 2001, 12:08 PM   #7
dick w. holliday

i shoot cowboy matches near Camp Lejeune NC and have seen the old timer Marine shooters with them that came from uncle sam---i'll check at the next match....Dick
Old March 30, 2001, 11:46 AM   #8
Trigger Jerk

I have a few 12 ga brass shells that I have loaded. I can't tell you what the headstamp is cause they aint handy. But I can tell you that they used large rifle primers rather than shotgun primers and if I remember right, I used 10 gauge wads and cards because the brass is much thinner than plastic. I carefully crimped them with a roll crimper from Balllistic products designed for use in a drill press. I ust didn't start the press. Then I sealed them with white glue that had been colored with food coloring. They turned out so nice, I hate to shoot them.

Old March 30, 2001, 03:02 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

This sounds pretty wierd, but it may work in a pinch...

Could you pain some hulls "brass" colored?

Yeah, they wouldn't look very good, but at least they would look better than nothing.

Here's another possibility...

How about paper shells? I know that a FEW manufacturers were loading paper hulled shells in the late 1880s, but they didn't catch on for a few years...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 30, 2001, 05:42 PM   #10
George Carlson

We used to shoot brass 16ga and 12ga 25 years ago before there was cowboy action. If I remember right we used 12ga cardboard and felt wads in the 16,and 10ga wads in the 12. Thats using standard trap loads. Your gonna find primers sometimes a problem. Some shells take shotgun primers and some will take large rifle primers. Be carefull with the older cases, as they will split from old age. In fact maybe their better left to the collectors.
Old March 31, 2001, 07:36 AM   #11
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you're just looking for brass colored plastic, look for Remington Handicap loads. They are almost the same brass color as the base.