The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2001, 07:26 AM   #1
Brian Gibbons

Ruger PC 9 question ...

About 10 months ago I decided to purchase a Ruger PC 9 (9mm Police Carbine). Living in Canada, I double checked with Canada Customs, Dept of Foriegn Affairs and our Justice Dept to be sure that I could legally import this rifle. I got the green light as under Canadian Law, I am permitted to import, acquire and own this gun. I had also checked with Sturm Ruger and they were willing to sell me the rifle, so I placed the order through a licenced dealer in Edmonton last February. Well, after waiting six months and a lot of Emails between the dealer and myself, I have learned that I will now not be able to get the PC9 because of an American export restriction. I was told that the Ruger PC9 is classed as a Class III firearm (for export purposes) and that the BATF will not allow the export of this rifle outside of the United States unless it is for LE or government use only. Does anyone know of a website or a contact that I could use to verify this information. I don't want to give up on this until I see the rules in "black and white" ...
Old August 16, 2001, 11:25 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

I am not sure of where to find this info, but I am real interested in the final outcome. I don't see how a semi-automatic 9x19mm rifle is considered Class III.

Old August 16, 2001, 11:48 PM   #3
USGuns

BATF website

Don't know if there's anything useful there but here's the BATF site as at least a place to start:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/
Old September 27, 2001, 07:41 PM   #4
Brian Gibbons

Ruger PC 9 Update ...

I have not researched the matter completely but my understanding of the situation is as follows. The Ruger PC9 is restricted export out of the USA because it is considered to be a "NFA" firearm falling under the classification of a "short barrelled rifle". I would require a permit from both the US State Department and the BATF in order to export this rifle out of the USA. The purpose of this export restriction was to make it more difficult for terrorists to acquire this type of firearm. In light of recent events, I am no longer entertaining the idea of even attempting to try and export one of these rifles out of the US. I doubt BAFT or State Dept would give my applications a second glance.
On a positive note, I have purchased a used Ruger PC9 from a Canadian distributor who happened to have one already in stock on this side of the border. It should be here in a few days ...
Old September 28, 2001, 12:32 AM   #5
PreserveFreedom

In the US, a short barreled rifle is a rifle having a barrel less than 16" in length. Unless it has been cut, someone is yanking your chain. That aside, congrats on finding one locally. Be sure to let us know how it performs.

Old March 3, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
Zilmo

Love my PC9.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, Zilmo, we're glad to hear that you love your PC 9, but if the OP hasn't solved in dilemma in the last 11 years, I don't think it's going to be resolved. Closed to allow long-dead threads to rest in peace.