The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Dead

Anyone ever just "missed" a killer deal?

I had a friend that turned in a Stainless Beretta 92 FS w/night sights. If I had spoken to him a few days earlier he would have given it to me

The fees in NYC were too much $$$ for him to consider renewing his license.

Oh well, but it would have made for a pair of stainless beretta 92FS w/night sights that I would have gotten for free
Old November 25, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
sigarms228

Good lord I hope the rest of the country does not try to start doing that - stealth gun control.

Here in Illinois they are wanting to impose a $65 PER firearm registration fee. So far it has gone nowhere but with the last election the democrats picked up even more seats in the state house and senate due largely to redistricting so I am fearful of what they come up with.

Yes I know I need to move out of this state but so far have not been able to convince the wife.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

It wasn't really a miss, but the manager at a local pawn shop told me he had a Colt .22 Ace 1911 that had come in and asked if I was interested in it. I told him sure and asked what the price was. He told me it would be "about $800". I told him that I would be back to get it when it was ready to hit the shelf. So, I went in to pick it up and asked what the final price was and he said, "$1,149". Needless to say I was less than thrilled. I used to buy almost everything that I picked up there, and don't buy anything much at all there anymore.

I knew it was a good deal at $800, but I've helped them out on several occasions checking products out for them and they had been telling me "they owed me one". Well, I never got the one they owed me and they don't get my money anymore.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
sserdlihc

There's no telling how many deals I missed being a day late and a dollar short.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
TunnelRat

My local lgs allows a 7 day hold with no money down, or a 60 day hold with 20% down. When I was just starting buying there were a number of guns that I missed putting on hold for no loss to me. Those were the sad times . Heck, just today I tried to call to put a M1 Carbine paratrooper model from Inland, 1944 vintage, on hold. They were so busy no one was answering. By the time I got through another guy had it on hold. Should have gone in person.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 25, 2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Sixer

I try to immediately forget the great deals I miss

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
LockedBreech

All the darn time. I'm a college student and I have less than zero money to spend. I run across crazy deals all the time. I saw a cherry looking stainless Beretta Cheetah for $400 at a pawn shop. I about died. But alas, I need to eat.
Old November 25, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8
wayneinFL

I once showed up at a gun show 4PM on Sunday. Walked by a table with M1A. As I was waiting for the guy to set it down, he talked the seller down to $600. It was a polytech, but still...