The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2009, 11:26 PM   #1
sqwat

1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless .380 with .32 barrel?

Hi,

new to the forum so I hope I'm not violating any protocol. I recently inherited a 1903 colt pocket hammerless with serial 74xxx. It's been sitting in a box for at least 30 years, if not more. Excellent condition, no rust, functions flawlessly. So here's the catch, it has .380 stamped on the side but the barrel is a .32 and so is the mag. The serials match so I'm assuming if I purchase a .380 barrel and mag (correct cut, I know), it should drop in fine, but I wanted to get confirmation of this. Am I correct? Also, was this ever offered as a 2 barrel set, much like the more modern desert eagle? I assume somewhere in this guns 80 year history someone decided they needed a .32 barrel in place, but wishful thinking makes me think of a more glamorous past. Lastly, anyone have an idea of what value this gun would bring? I know that this is subjective but I'm curious what a ballpark figure would bring with this mod, and would it be worth my while to replace the barrel. Well thanks in advance for any info provided.

Thanks,

Morgan

Old January 4, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
predecessor

Hmmm, seems like something is definitely amiss with that firearm of yours. You better send it to me and I will take that confusing Colt off your hands, thus freeing your mind to address other more important problems and obstacles that may beset you!

Seriously, I am just as interested in discovering the answer to your question as are you. I am not aware of a two barrel set. It is quite possible that Colt stamped the wrong "calibre" on your slide. I was under the impression that the large majority of the 1903's were chambered for .32 ACP but have seen plenty of .380 in that model as well.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
RickB

A .380 mag will not fit in a .32 frame, but I don't know if you can tell by wiggling if the .32 mag is the wrong one for that frame.
The gun appears to be refinished, which means there's no collectibility, regardless of caliber(s). I used to see refinished .32s and .380s at gun shows for $200-$250, but like everything else, I'm sure they're worth more, now. Still, having the wrong barrel in there, or the wrong slide on what was originally a .32, doesn't increase the value.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Creature

Quote:
I'm sure they're worth more, now. Still, having the wrong barrel in there, or the wrong slide on what was originally a .32, doesn't increase the value.
How about a near mint 1903 Colt Hammerless 32ACP with serial numbers on the slide and frame that are ####383 and ####384 respectively? Is that a "collectible error" that was made perhaps during the manufacturing process?

Tags
.32 , .380 , colt , hammerless , pocket