The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 22, 2007, 07:00 PM   #51
roy reali

Re:stillborn

It is not a matter of wether a pellet or even a bullet can penetrate the skull of a pig, it has to do with a pig's anatomy. To hit a pig's brain from the front you need to be standing over him. You need to look down on his head. The brain is located in such a way as making a frontal brain shot almost impossible. The pig would have to bend his head way down to expose the brain. A pig can't bend its head forward enough. A similar problem exists with cows. But a cow can be made to bend its head far enough down to allow the bullet a direct path to the cranium. Our butcher walked right up to the pig and held the gun so as the barrel was point almost straight down over its skull. He would stand in front of cow to kill it. A pail of oats on the ground would cause the cow to cooperate.

Now a behind the eat shot is easier on a pig. But the hunters in the above video were facing the pig. Unless the pellet had some kind of computer guidance system in it to redirect its flight, it could not have hit the pig behind the ear.

I have seen movies that have blood thirsty zombies eat humans. That wasn't real. It sure looked real, but with a camera and good special effects, anything can be made to look real.
Old March 22, 2007, 07:16 PM   #52
MDman

im prety sure the video is real, people do get killed from air rifles, its just not a common thing. like this guy killing this pig.
Old March 22, 2007, 07:31 PM   #53
stillborn

Some think it entered the sinus cavity. And about the zombie thing.... I have the Zombie Survival Guide... so Ill be ready for that one. It is a great book and a very fast read.
Old March 22, 2007, 07:38 PM   #54
roy reali

Re:mdman

The video showing people on an island interacting with dinosaurs is also real. What is potrayed is not real. I grew up on a farm. I saw cows, pigs, goats and also sorts of farm animals get butchered. When the animal was being cut up I would look. It was a great anatomy lesson.

The brain of a pig sits quite a ways back and down. Look at a pigs eyes and ears. Its brain sits between them. I suppose a shot up the snout may reach the brain. But the projectile would have to travel a couple of feet of bone and tissue. Plus the your angle would have to be exact. Your aim would have to be right at the nostril and with them facing you almost perfectly horizontal to the ground.

Sure, the accuracy part is possible with an airgun, a rimfire, or any other weapon. But to penetrate that much tissue would take a centerfire.
Old March 22, 2007, 07:47 PM   #55
stillborn

possibly
Old March 22, 2007, 08:29 PM   #56
roy reali

Re:stillborn

Even if the video is legitimate. Even if they managed to somehow kill a boar with a pellet gun. To show that in order to sell products is irresponsible. I will never purchase any Gammo product.
Old March 22, 2007, 08:35 PM   #57
MDman

totaly agree, that it is wrong to kill a pig with a air rifle, on the other threads people are saying its wrong to kill a big with 204. anywho, I think the littel pellet went in somewhere and bounced around till it came to rest in the brain. I just dont see gamo making a fake video. but as far as ethics go gamo is fallin quick in my book.
Old March 22, 2007, 08:54 PM   #58
roy reali

Re:liability?

I wonder what would happen if some knucklehead actually tried to hunt a boar with an airgun. Who would be liable if the idiot ticked the hog off and was attacked and injured, or worse?
Old March 22, 2007, 08:55 PM   #59
stillborn

eh... that would be darwinism at its best. i doubt he would be able to outrun an upset hog. i bet the same thing happend back in the day when inept hunters tried to use the .220 swift on everything.
Old March 22, 2007, 09:15 PM   #60
Dreadnought

We have a squirrel problem with the critters running off with unripened fruit from the trees. The cat is ineffectual against them, though she gets lucky like once a year. I don't go "hunting" per se, just once in a while. So I got a Daisy Powerline 1000S (0.177). The 3-9x variable power scope it came with is adequate. I used to use the Crosman pointed pellets, but they sometimes took an follow-up shot on a timber doodle. Last year I found Crosman now has hollow point pellets, so I bought a can of those and they worked extremely well COM or head shots. Either that, or I got better at shooting them. It's all about placement with such a light arm.
Old March 24, 2007, 09:49 PM   #61
FrontSight

there are so many things in this world that i want to buy!