The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 3, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
woody wood

shotgun for wife

my wife is getting into trap/skeet shooting and has used my mossberg 500 a few times.being 5 foot 2 in and with smaller handsand shorter arms, im thinking of getting her a youth model of some sort? what do you think? the 12 gauge does not bother her,but slight less recoil she might like better as her shoulder is bruised as we speak.
what do you think? 12 ga or 20 gauge? youth or standard model modified?price range $300- $600.
i will probably put on a limbsaver on what ever i do.
Old June 3, 2011, 11:02 AM   #2
zippy13

If she's really going to "get into" trap/skeet then she'll definitely want a 12-ga. For skeet, she'll be handicapped without an auto or an U/O because of the doubles. Since she's small, she might be able to take advantage of a bottom dollar super deal target gun: Beretta's 3901 Target RL youth gun. It's very attractively priced to encourage young shooters. Unfortunately, you're not going to find a decent target gun within your budget.
Old June 3, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
oneounceload

Quote:
i will probably put on a limbsaver on what ever i do
You need to stop and get your wife fitted - just assuming that the Limbsaver is the miracle isn't true. FIT is what makes a gun tolerable to shoot. As Zippy mentioned, the 3901 youth might be just the ticket - then again it might not - whatever gun SHE chooses, get it properly fitted and you'll have a lifetime shooting companion. Don't and she'll go do something else
Old June 3, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4
woody wood

yes,she will be along to be fitted for sure,as for price im willing to go more.
thanks for the advice so far.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
shotgun for wife
Sounds like a fair trade, but I already have a wife. Got anything else?

Just kidding. Having gone through the same quandary a few years back, I would recommend a 20 gauge gas gun. Lighter, but will take most of the recoil oout of shooting it. I picked up a 20 gauge Browning A5 (Belgian, of course), a 20 gauge Rem 870, and by then she was tired of being beat up, so I started looking for a gas-operated shotgun. I ended up with a super clean 2-3/4" 20 gauge Remington 1100, and the wife loves it. And I got it for just about nothing (because nobody wants 2-3/4" guns anymore ).
Old June 3, 2011, 12:45 PM   #6
woody wood

scorch-thats funny!!! il have to tell her that--she will think that funny.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:47 PM   #7
woody wood

her brother has these shotguns for sale-do you see any that might fit the bill?
have not see them yet so she would have to try them out.
what do you thing of these or any other model you have in mind?
20ga harrington and richardson single shot topper model
12ga mossberg 835 ultimag
12ga bernnelli pump nova model
12ga fie single shot
12ga pump cost to coast model 367h
12ga stevens 67 sieries e
12ga auto rem 1100
20 ga pump rem 870 wingmaster
i dont think any of these would help,but dont know my models all that well.
Old June 3, 2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1100s are famed for soft recoil and long life, but they run a bit heavy. If your spouse likes it, get that one. A barrel threaded for tube chokes will be a big help.

New shooters should start off with the heaviest shotgun they can handle and the lightest loads they can find.

HTH....
Old June 3, 2011, 02:45 PM   #9
BigJimP

+ 1 on Daves remarks ....it really depends on what she likes in terms of weight and balance...

Of the guns on your brother in laws list...maybe the Rem 1100 ...but they tend to be too heavy / and if it doesn't have screw in changeable chokes, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Nothing else on the list is too attractive ...

20ga's don't necessarily mean less recoil ....they are often lighter guns / and unless you pick a light load ...she may not like it at all. But you said she is already bruised ...so it needs to be fixed right away ....don't linger ...but I like the Beretta youth model that Zippy suggested ...as a very good option. But you might look around for a Rem 1100 or a Rem 11-87 in 20ga / there are lots of them around - and they're easy on the budget.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Bucks Gun Shop

Woody Wood...

Zippy hit the nail on the head for a great starter gun for her... The Beretta 3901 Youth... If you want to "fancy" it up for her, have a gunsmith install a mid-bead for you... I teach a beginning shotgun class each month and have two of the 3901 youths that almost all of my lady shooters start with, and most go out and buy one...

The Remington 1100 is a classic gun and actually what I started shooting trap/skeet with more than 30 years ago... If you can get it at a good price, it will work as well as the 3901... I would look for a little shorter barrel for the wife, especially if you are going to be shooting skeet with it... Something in the 26" range would be a decent compromise...
Old June 3, 2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Gehrhard

20 ga.
Old June 3, 2011, 11:47 PM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
20 ga.
Why a 20-ga?
IMHO, it's a disservice to recommend anything other than a 12-ga as a first target gun for anyone without special needs. With modern gas auto-loaders and the availability of lite and reduced loads, the old argument that 20-ga guns kick less is moot. Why handicap them with a smaller gun? Of course, if you don't want them shooting as well as you do, that's a different story.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:33 AM   #13
sheepman

If you reload a 12ga can shoot loads as light as a 20ga and the extra weight makes it kick less. The 1100 and light loads should work, I know a couple women that shoot 1100s very well. Most likely the stock will need to be shortened.
Old June 4, 2011, 01:22 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

I am thinking have her shoot before you buy and wondering if the guns the ladies Buck teaches chose to get a 12 or 20. Make sure your wife gets a chance to shoot, and not just a couple of shells, before buying if at all possible.
Old June 4, 2011, 01:46 PM   #15
oneounceload

As Zippy mentioned, the HEAVIEST gun she an handle, coupled with the LIGHTEST ammo that will work the gun will result n the HAPPIEST wife...........and we all know what that means, because...................

"If momma ain't happy, ain't NO body happy"

Several women i shoot with are in their 60's plus (we'll leave it at that). Each one shoots a 12, each 12 weighs between 8 and 9 pounds. These women, are also all about 5'2 on a good day. Point is this.......if THESE women can handle heavy 12 gauges with target loads, your wife should be able (physical issues notwithstanding)

Have her shoot as many guns a she can, of every type and brand, and let HER decide
Old June 4, 2011, 06:28 PM   #16
zippy13

"If momma ain't happy, ain't NO body happy"
AMEN!
Old June 4, 2011, 07:07 PM   #17
M4BGRINGO

We started-off Trap Shooting sharing my Rem 1100. Now she has her own Rem 870. The semis take some of the kick out, plus using lighter loads will also help. I am cheap and buy the factory Target Loads which are about $5.00 a box. There are many lighter loads that cost about $10 to $12 a box. Either-way, I'd use a 12g. Does she have a shooting jacket to wear? The padding in the shoulder area will also help.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:29 PM   #18
Bucks Gun Shop

Forget the 20 gauge... If you are reloading you can load 7/8 ounce or even 3/4 ounce that will shoot as light as you want... Heck, I have my 13 year old son at not more than 120 lbs shooting the 3901 and 7/8 ounce loads all day long... Excellent combination....
Old June 4, 2011, 10:30 PM   #19
Homer-Sm

If you can find one to try, I bought my wife (5' 4' 140Lbish) a Browining Golden Clays semi. It has a LOP of slightly under 14" and she absolutely loves it. The gun has really low kick and can handle all types of loads.

Yeah a semi is annoying to the person standing to your right, but can be fixed with a shell deflector.

I have introduced 5 other women to "shooting clays" with it and have had zero complaints about recoil.

If you look around they can be found for $500-$600. Trouble is, is that they are so women friendly I know 2 other people who own them, but won't sell them. They keep them around as an "Newbie Gun" for younger shooters or women shooters.

But definitely if possible have your wife "try before you buy". Another friend of mine who is a woman loves her Winchester Energy. So 1 shotgun does not please all.
Old June 4, 2011, 10:46 PM   #20
zippy13

Cheaper than a vest (and cooler in the summer), has she tried the PAST Hidden Comfort Recoil Shield for Women? It's now on sale at MidwayUSA, or it looks simple enough that it could be duplicated by the home sewer.
Old June 5, 2011, 11:45 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
shotgun for wife
I tried this in a bar one night... Wife wasn't there... Guy knew wifey.. Deal was struck and I even invoked the "Black Black No Trade Back" clause...

When I informed wifey of the previous night's business transaction she came unglued I tell ya'!!!

Once the guy heard her yellin'... He invoked the "pig in a poke clause" and I still have wifey and 20+ years later I am trying not to bring up the deal she blew and now I am shoppin' for the cash to buy an American Made Autoloader...

Brent
Old June 5, 2011, 01:16 PM   #22
woody wood

- update
she did hold a a 20 ga 22 in nova and liked it.thought it was lighter than the mossberg 500 with 28in barrel she had been using. tried a few semi auto,but she liked pump action more-she likes being able to pump(more fun she says).
also tried a mossberg 500 bantam with 22in and liked that close to as good,she stated a little more weight than the nova but still ok.she stated that she wanted a cheeper priced gun to start with and if she went out more often after a few years she would upgrade.the bantam has two or three stock adapters to help adjust length.we can give that one to my son when he gets older,when and if she wants to upgrade.
ill have my brother in law send the nova and the rem 1100 home to try.the rem might be for me?
still looking.
she did try on a few vest,which can help with recoil-as i stated recoil is not a huge issue for her at this point,as she was able to go through a few boxes of 12g in full size mossberg with no problems.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:20 PM   #23
woody wood

ive always got my saiga 12 converted,for her to try--not the kind of gun to bring to a skeet/trap shoot.probably get nasty looks!! ha ha. how about with the 20 round drum-now she would think thats heavy!
Old June 5, 2011, 01:20 PM   #24
TheKlawMan

Some people are just ungrateful. Tasteless and off color attempt at humor deleted. Sheesh!!
Old June 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #25
Gehrhard

As I told you -- 20 ga.

It is a better feeling gun for women just as it is a "handier" feeling gun to men. And the 20 ga. is darned effective -- w/3" shells can be made AS effective as a 2-3/4" 12.

Sorry for those know-everythings, but, I have never met a woman (and I've trained alot) who did not prefer a shorter-pull 20 ga. if given a choice. And the guage is popular enough that we can do that. HD?

In an apartment/Town House I would have to go with #4 Shot (.12 caliber pellets). But there are #4, #3 and #2 buckshot available in 2-3/4" and 3" as one moves up the ladder. No-one, man or woman, could reasonably feel undergunned with 18 pellets of copper-plated #2 Buckshot (.27 caliber) at 1,175 fps!

Gehr

PS: And remember, the Mossberg 500 will hold five American 3" Magnums for "the hairy-chested man (or woman) of the house."

Last edited by Gehrhard; June 8, 2011 at 07:59 PM.