The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
cowboyarcher

Remington Model 11

Hi all,

Recently aquired an old Remington Model 11. I only know a little about it's history and design. Can any tell me about that and it's range of current values?

Thanks,

Adam
Old June 1, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2
PawPaw

What's it's condition? It's gauge? How long is the barrel? Pictures would help.

The Remington Model 11 is an iconic shotgun, a John Browning design. That same basic shotgun was made by several different companies. I've seen them by Remington, Savage, and of course, Browning, as the Auto-5.

My son owns two, a 12 gauge passed down from one grandfather and a 20 gauge passed down from another grandfather. He values them at priceless.

How much is yours worth? Depending on condition, from $125.00 to $500.00.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 1, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Remington offered the 11 from about 1911 to 1948, when it was replaced by the 11-48, a modernized streamlined version.

The 11 saw service in World Wars I and II, served as a mainstay for market gunning and was widely regarded as a sturdy, dependable weapon and tool.

Best example I've seen for sale recently looked very good and had a $300 tag. Beaters go for about $150-200.

If you plan on shooting yours, a checkout by a qualified smith is needed. He/She can tell if it's chambered for modern shells and can handle being shot.

A fiber buffer in the receiver will need replacing. A new one is available from Brownell's. Most Browning A5 parts will NOT interchange, but the frictions pieces and springs will. Buy a set, install them and keep the old ones as spares.

Lots of us have had these as family guns, including me, A cousin has one I gave him. He's quite happy with it.
Old June 2, 2011, 02:13 AM   #4
natman

I have three, two of them were from my grandfather, a well worn 20 ga and a mint 12. He used the 20 for decades, then decided to upgrade to a 12. He took the 12 out, took three shots and missed at a pheasant. He then walked back to the car, got out his trusty 20 and never used the 12 again. That's how I came to have a 70 year old gun that's had 3 shots through it.

The third is a Sportsman variation that's US marked. It was used to shoot skeet as part of aircraft gunnery training in WWII.

Be sure the friction rings are set up correctly for the load you are using and keep the magazine tube lightly oiled with conventional gun oil.

http://www.browning.com/customerserv...ail.asp?id=105