The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 15, 2018, 04:41 AM   #26
jetinteriorguy

Funny isn't it how the things about this hobby that drive you nuts, are the very things that make it so fun and addicting. Now get some sleep so your well rested for the next problem.
Old October 15, 2018, 10:54 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal's Guns
…my accuracy I like to think got better.
Of course it did. Now you have confidence in the ammo and weapon combination. Good gun and ammo are, obviously, important, but never underestimate the effect of psychology in shooting, either.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 15, 2018, 01:54 PM   #28
RC20

Agreed on the confidence.

I have one rifle that is my go to, if I can't shoot that then its just not my day.

Something about the whole combo of receiver, stock, barrel just feels best of all of them. Its not even a target stock but does better than my target stocked ones.
Old October 16, 2018, 09:48 AM   #29
F. Guffey

Quote:
- Just Full Length Size (Die screwed down on contact shell-holder + 1/16 turn more to accommodate press spring)
1/16 of a turn after contact with the shell holder. All of the instructions from all available sources suggest adjusting the die town 1/4 turn after contact. I am as conceited as mehavey. The beginning reloader requires more information. Again: 1 full tern is .071", 1/2 turn is is .035", 1/4 turn is .017", 1/8th is .0085" and 1/16 additional turn is .0042".

Unfortunately you members do not apply the same standard to all members, I did say there is minimum length/full length size, there is go-gage length, there is no go-gage length and for a few of there is field reject length.

1/16 of a turn would be a good adjustment of a case that was fired in a chamber that was no go-gage length if the chamber was chambered to 30/06.

F. Guffey
Old October 16, 2018, 09:55 AM   #30
F. Guffey

Quote:
- Just Full Length Size (Die screwed down on contact shell-holder + 1/16 turn more to accommodate press spring)
And there is the case's ability to resist sizing. If the case wins because it has more resistance to sizing the die will not make it to the shell holder. When that happens I measure the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die. And then there is that other problem omitted by reloaders, that would be lube. I use a no name lube for the toughest of cases to size,

When it comes to adjusting the die to and or off the shell holder the reloader should know the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face. It is not necessary for a reloader to fire form, I form first and then fire.

F. Guffey

Tags
dies , hornady , relaoding , resizing , stiff action