The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 15, 2017, 09:19 PM   #1
tdoyka

sighting in 500L with peeps

i finally got around to sighting in my 500L(tc encore, 23" MGM barrel). i took quite a bit(file, both hand and grinder) of my front sight off. it took me a while to do it, but next all i have to do is take my skinner sight down and right and then i'll have it.

i was using a 450gr wfn(460gr weighed) and 21.0gr of 2400 and 16.0gr of hs-6. they were both starting loads. 2400 made the bore dirty, it could have been lube or maybe the crimp wasn't tight enuff. hs-6 was more or less clean. oh, i never even thought of size of the bore. knowing MGM, theres a good(better than good, great) chance that it will be .510". so i did .512" boolits.

i started off with the 2400 and about 4th or 5th shot i had to tighten my stock. it was 1 - 1 1/2 turns to tighten the allen head. not much but it does make your shots go place that they shouldn't. i was only shooting 50 yards, but using a lite load of 2400 did not impress the gun. i've shot 3 or 4 groups that go 3 - 3 1/2" at 50 yards(3 shots).

next i went to hs-6. the difference was outstanding. i shot 2 or 3 groups that would go 3/4 - 1 1/2" at 50 yards(3 shots). that one i'll have to test for. i did one group that was 3, 4 and 5 shots. the 3 shots goes approx under 3/4". the 4th shot i must have pulled because it goes 2 1/2". the 5th shot( i have to load some more up), not counting the 4th, goes approx 1".

i don't have pix, mostly because i was sighting the rifle. next time my handi-capable butt will have to take some pix.

now, the big question is how does it recoil?
not much. it does recoil about as much as my ruger #1(8.5lbs) in 270 or a tc venture(7.5lbs) in 25-06. i may be explaining it wrong but here it goes, when shooting a 500L the recoil doesn't go like a 44mag with full power loads, it goes like a 44 sp with skeeter's load. the recoil is also long and drawn out, not short, violent and to the point. i could shoot the 500L all week and twice on sunday. now i haven't tried full power loads like h110 or win296, i'll never need them. but lite to medium loads, the 500L and i will take them!!!

PS
i think that 2400 goes approx 1300fps+/- and hs-6 goes approx 1200fps+/-. i'm just guessing........
Old July 31, 2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Hawkeye_FH

Sounds like a sweet little setup you've got there. One of these days when I have a solid handle on my .452 and .458 stuff I'd love to step up to something that starts with a 5. Where did you get your bullets from or did you cast them yourself? Any plans to hunt with it?

Oh.... and don't forget pictures next time