The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
JMShell

Reloading Apprentice

For anyone who is an avid ammunition reloader in the San Jose, Sunnyvale, Fremont, CA area I would like to offer myself to anyone who would like some free slave labor and perhaps teach me the art of reloading. I would specifically like to learn how to reload 45 colt for cowboy action shooting since I am really eager to try to participate in the sport, but any reloading will be greatly appreciated. I do not ask for any payment of any type other than to learn and possibly reloading my own ammunition at some distant future pont in time with complete reembersiment of supplies. I am really eager to learn and available after 5pm during the week and most weekends. I am 23 with my own transportation so no worries there. If interested please feel free to contact me. Thank you. (Also I first posted this in the Blackpowder & Cowboy Action Shooting section if anybody is interested in that as well.)

Addition 1: From reading my frist round of responses I do understand that reloading is mainly a repedative processes, non-complex, and fairly easy perform after the first hundred rounds or so but I currently dont possess the funds to pruchase my own basic supplies to start. But while I wait for that day to come when I can buy them I would like to get some hands on expeirence with someone who has their own eqipment and wouldnt mind teaching a newbie. Also I would like to learn how to reload all types of ammunition and not just one and then learn another when I aquire a different caliber gun.

Last edited by JMShell; August 17, 2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2
wncchester

Would you be willing to commute to Asheville, NC?

Good luck!
Old August 17, 2010, 10:30 AM   #3
stealintv

fyi

JMSHELL- I just started reloading myself. My advice, as a "newbie", would be to go on Youtube and watch some of the how-to videos and buy a book "ABC's of Reloading" to get you started while you are waiting to find someone to show you in person.

Once I felt comfortable, I bought the Lee Anniversary kit (cabelas -$99 ) a set of dies (45acp ebay - $30) electronic calipers (ebay-$15) then the powder, primers, brass, etc.

I was concerned about my accuracy zeroing the powder scale that came in the kit and didn't want to overcharge my ammo. I bought a digital scale that measures in grains (ebay - $15), only to find out that the Lee scale is just as good.

From a beginner (me) to someone with interes (you), my advice is to read, watch videos on Youtube, talk to people and just jump into the hobby. It is really easy once you get the basics down.

Cheers.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:43 AM   #4
Xfire68

stealintv, has the right idea there. Read, watch, read some more and buy your equipment and try it out. Loading for pistol is not all that difficult for the most part and as long as you follow the basic safety rules and watch for the warning signs your will enjoy the hobby of reloading.

I was lucky enough to have a seasoned handloader teach me the basics back when I was in the Air Force but, reading books and watching videos will help you more then anything aside from actually doing it!
Old August 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
rtpzwms

If you ever get this far south let me know. I'll lend a hand.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:34 AM   #6
hornady

It seems more and more post like yours are popping up in forms. 40 some years ago I started reloading without the Internet or you tube, nothing wrong with either as long as you realize both can be posted by anyone, with little or no real experience. Don’t make it harder than it is, Buy a good reloading manual, Most have a beginners section in the front, follow it to the letter. You can save some money on a press and dies, but don’t crimp on the scales or a good set of calipers. Smokeless gunpowder is not explosive. Read your manual, go slow without distractions. And you will not have any problems. Reloading is fun easy and very safe if done correctly.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:42 AM   #7
CrustyFN

Bummer, I just moved from Hayward a while back.
Old August 17, 2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I held off getting into reloading for years because I was afraid I wouldn't figure it out without help.

Guess what!?

You can do it. It's not rocket science. It's not even particularly challenging. Read something like "The ABCs of Reloading." You'll probably find it to be a little "elementary" and not particularly helpful, if you know much of anything about the concept. If you don't know much of anything about the concepts, you'll find it to be very helpful.

After that, get the equipment and get started. Be resigned to the fact that you will not only not get everything you need all at once but that you will, in fact, never have everything that you "need".

I highly recommend the Lee Classic turret. I don't think there's a better way to get started and most shooters will never need anything better or faster.
Old August 17, 2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Xfire68

I second the Lee Turret press! I love mine and it is fast enough to make a lot of ammo in a short time and cheap enough not to break the bank!
Old August 17, 2010, 12:44 PM   #10
oneounceload

Quote:
It seems more and more post like yours are popping up in forms. 40 some years ago I started reloading without the Internet or you tube, nothing wrong with either as long as you realize both can be posted by anyone, with little or no real experience. Don’t make it harder than it is, Buy a good reloading manual, Most have a beginners section in the front, follow it to the letter. You can save some money on a press and dies, but don’t crimp on the scales or a good set of calipers. Smokeless gunpowder is not explosive. Read your manual, go slow without distractions. And you will not have any problems. Reloading is fun easy and very safe if done correctly.
Same here - this isn't rocket science - it is a repetitive motion assembly process. If you do the inital set-up correctly the first time, you'll have no issues. Forums and videos are nice, but the manuals are written by the experts and their liability is on the line, so I would trust the manuals over anyone on the net or Youtube
Old August 17, 2010, 12:45 PM   #11
sserdlihc

I think it is good you are trying to find someone to apprentice under. I started reloading with my FIL. It helped me because I was a little apprehensive.

Last edited by sserdlihc; August 17, 2010 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added the words "to & find"
Old August 17, 2010, 02:53 PM   #12
MW surveyor

What everybody else said!

I just started in June and if you read the books, watch the videos and have just a bit of OCD, you will do fine.

Now starting on my second thousand rounds. Never would have been able to shoot as much without reloading. (With the exception of 22 lr)
Old August 17, 2010, 07:23 PM   #13
noylj

Learning to reload

It is not difficult. It takes some small degree of strength and a good pair of eye.
You could even start with a Lee Classic Loader in 45 Colt ($21.99 at Midway). That and a plastic or leather mallet is all you need. Not fast, but you get intimately familiar with each step.
As someone interested but apprehensive, I would look at the Lee Challenger (single stage press with bushings for the dies) or the Lee Turret with Auto-Prime kits.
Read "ABC's of Reloading" and Lyman's #49 manual (if you get the Lee kits, they might come with Mr. Lee's book).
Required steps:
Wipe off exterior of case
Punch out primer
Resize case (dies will decap and resize in one step)
Seat primer
Add powder charge
Seat bullet and crimp
Old August 17, 2010, 07:31 PM   #14
oneounceload

You forgot to add in the flaring step in between resizing and adding powder charge - why there is three dies in the set
Old August 17, 2010, 08:10 PM   #15
ctom3

I agree that you can probably do okay going on line and with the books, but nothing replaces a good teacher. He or she can show you technique and more importantly, bad habits you may be developing. They can also tell you the why instead of just the how. Even though books such as "ABC's" give you a lot of that, there's a big difference between seeing it in a paragraph and being told. For

My advice is to go ahead and get the books and look at the video's, but keep looking for a mentor.
Old August 18, 2010, 03:56 AM   #16
graham82

Been There

Welcome to the forum!!
I started reloading about 3 1/2 years ago right where you are today. My suggestions based on my limited experience are: 1st: read the sticky note at the top of this forum "For the new reloader -equipment basics". 2nd: Read a lot of the posts here. I lurked in the shadows for about three months before I even thought I knew enough to post what I thought would be a reasonable question. There is much knowledge here. The responses are normally tempered with patience and understanding even though many of the "new questions" are not so new. This forum helped me make the final decision to go ahead and take the plunge.

I bought the Lee Classic Turret press and it is great. I now load 30-06, 30-30, 308, 223, 6mm BR Norma, 40S&W, and 45 ACP.

I was not lucky enough to know anyone who reloaded. If you can find someone to tutor you, great! If not, don't let it stop you from enjoying reloading. Be Safe.
Old August 18, 2010, 08:13 AM   #17
sundog

JMShell, ask around at the local ranges and gun shops to find an NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading instructor. Take the 8-hour course. The text book for that course is the NRA Guide to Reloading. Good reference. One of the nice things about doing it this way is that you will learn up front the 'stuff' you need to have, the nice-to-have stuff, and stuff you do not need for your type of reloading. By not loading up on stuff you do not need, you will have more resources ($s) for components -- which means you get to shoot more. Now, here's the best part. If you take the course you will get all the SAFETY stuff, probably the most important part.

Next thing we need to do is get you into casting. Talk about saving some $s!!!
Old August 18, 2010, 10:16 AM   #18
rtpzwms

Here is the guy to avoid:
http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=98I1i8Toj8E
Old August 18, 2010, 03:32 PM   #19
stealintv

try reply instead of edit. It took a day to realize you had responded...lol

After reading your edit:
Quote:
Addition 1: From reading my frist round of responses I do understand that reloading is mainly a repedative processes, non-complex, and fairly easy perform after the first hundred rounds or so but I currently dont possess the funds to pruchase my own basic supplies to start. But while I wait for that day to come when I can buy them I would like to get some hands on expeirence with someone who has their own eqipment and wouldnt mind teaching a newbie. Also I would like to learn how to reload all types of ammunition and not just one and then learn another when I aquire a different caliber gun.
I highly recommend searching online for a torrent called "Learn Handgun and Rifle Reloading in Under 41 Min". Download and watch that movie. Type reloading into Youtube. Also search on Google for ("reloading" + .pdf) exactly like that without parenthesis. Click on the search results that are prefaced by "PDF" and those are usually reloading manuals.

All of the aforementioned is free, via the internet, since cost seems to be your biggest concern I hope that is of help to you.

As someone else posted, The Lee Classic Loader is just over $20 and since everything is done by hand and hammer, you will get a great understanding of how it works. I suggest saving for a press though.

Also, don't be afraid to be frugal. Ebay is great for used stuff. Ask around, someone online may send you a few empty casings or get them from your local range. Your first batch doesn't need to be 500 rounds. Start with 3 rounds and go through all the steps. Go to Salvation Army/Goodwill or whatever second hand store is around and get a cheap workbench to reload on (mine was $5). ebay has some great prices on books, lee loader set, dies, scales, calipers, etc.

If you can't find a teacher, just start saving your money it really is not hard to learn. If you go Lee Classic route, and search for sales, deals, used stuff online, I believe you can get set up for under $75. Then, start saving again for the actual components.

FYI - I mounted my press and cleaned/decapped/resized 500 rounds before I could afford any gun powder or primers. Property tax is a son of a B---- in Illinois!!! lol

As another poster said, the books/manuals are the most reliable as the company writing the book can be sued. Start with that. Download the movie I posted above. Start saving your money. Do these things to learn on your own until you find someone to show you in person the technique. I believe it is better to have some knowledge going in and ask educated questions to your teacher. Plus, you might surprise yourself with a moment of insight, "Hmmmm this is pretty easy, I don't need a teacher after all ...."

Finally, READ and RE-READ about safety! This is the most important thing.
Old August 19, 2010, 03:09 AM   #20
Adeodatus

MV?

How does Mountain View work for you? I will send you a pm. I cant guarantee anything because I have a very busy life style (college+work) but I may have some time to spare. Im not an expert, far from actually. I just recently started but I have soaked up a crap load of info on basic reloading and have built a bench, got a full reloading kit, and dies for .218 bee and .357 magnum. A friend of mine just donated well over 2000 pieces of brass to me of 40s&w so im buying some dies for that caliber, so i can make some money selling the reloaded ammo. Therefore if you want some hands-on experience using a press it may be possible if I have the time. I also bought the ABCs of reloading and I have to say it is great for starters. Along with that I got the Modern Reloading Manual.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will help you out the best I can.

Winchester Model 43 .218 bee, Savage .22, Mossberg 17HMR, Beretta .22, S&W .357 Magnum, Ithaca 16-Gauge, Ruger Mini-14.
Old August 19, 2010, 05:06 AM   #21
Baryngyl

Quote:
A friend of mine just donated well over 2000 pieces of brass to me of 40s&w so im buying some dies for that caliber, so i can make some money selling the reloaded ammo.
As far as I know it is illegal to sell reloads unless you get a manufacturing FFL that allows you to do so, and a ton of insurance.

I too thought about this when I first got all my reloading gear, what I ended up doing was just reloading for one friend and all he did was buy the reloading components and I reloaded it for him, I did not charge him anything for doing it.

Michael Grace
Old August 19, 2010, 06:34 AM   #22
sserdlihc

Quote:
A friend of mine just donated well over 2000 pieces of brass to me of 40s&w so im buying some dies for that caliber, so i can make some money selling the reloaded ammo.
I would seriously rethink this course of action.
Old August 19, 2010, 07:17 AM   #23
salvadore

The lee loader is cheap and easy to use, however lee cautions the .45 colts take more force to size. Probably means you need a bigger hammer. I got one for a 30/30 in 1968 and it may be slow, but it gets you into it right now.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:31 AM   #24
Reloadkid

Lee Challenger Breech-Lock Press

Question:
I have a Lee Challenger Breech-Lock Press. Works very well but I have no clue what the two little threaded holes are on top of the press.
Does anybody know?

Last edited by Reloadkid; August 19, 2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:40 AM   #25
Xfire68

It is for the Safety prime system to be mounted.

Tags
45 colt , california , cowboy , reloading , work