The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Gbro

Replacment Bolt/ Bolt Handle 788 Rem

I have a broken bolt on a Rem 788 30-30
I have searched several on line parts and have been unable to come up with anything.

Ok, i will tell,

Last winter while shooting a New Years fun match at the club one of my Grandsons had an extraction issue and i whacked the bolt handle quite hard and i extracted that case, cycled the action and shot a few and gave it back to him. And i went back to shooting. a few rounds later he had the issue again and i gave it a couple more whacks and it didn't extract.
i had one more grandson shooting and kind of rushed the process instead of mulling over what was presented. The bolt was back about 1/2 inch and i could just see brass in the action and not sure weather the round had stuck on loading or unloading and wasn't going to take the word of my 13 year old, so i saw a 10-12 inch 2x4 and gave it one more whack, and broke the handle right off. Ouch!
Well i cased it up and when i got it on the bench i then easily saw what was going on.
The safety was engauged and blocking the locking lugs . Now this safety is a bolt lock safety if i remember correctly. anyway there is a ding on one of the bolt locking lugs.
And the case was empty.
My theory as of now is the Ladd was attempting to safe the gun after each shot?? I didn't ask him but plan on watching him close if I ever get this rifle shooting again.

Last edited by Gbro; May 30, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

I used to sell the 788 in my shop and believed then, and still do, they were good rifles. But their popularity didn't last.
As to parts, I dunno. Try to find a basket case at a pawn shop and cannabalize. Good luck. Gunsmith/machinist repairs might cost more than the rifle is worth.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Gbro

Thanks and i to believe they are a good rifle with a very poor extractor.
I borrowed it out one year to a young man and commented to him that the extractors are a weak item in this otherwise great rifle, And when i got it back after that season the extractor was indeed broken.
Its one of those things that one needs to be left unsaid at times
Kind of like years back my daughters HS class home coming king came to school on the day of homecoming with a cast on his left lower arm as a joke.
I was on EMT duty that night and he hit the ground 20ft from me before half time and broke that same arm. I saw it fold!
I just saw two of his sisters a couple hours ago and asked about that bloke and told them I think of that every time i see or hear about him.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

You might try contacting Remington. They might have some parts, but I have no idea if they would fix it for you or not. Certainly it is long out of warranty. Depending on the break, it might be possible to weld the handle back on, but it should be done by a gunsmith who will understand the need to keep heat from the locking lugs during the process.

Jim
Old June 1, 2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Gbro

Thanks Jim,
I have checked with a Machinist that also does Gun Work and he isn't very familiar with the Rem 788.
What i am wondering is, is the bolt assembly part i need replaceable by the same bolt part from another 788 short action bolt??
My broken part is Item #2 and all part numbers are for a complete bolt assembly.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Phantom Phixer

I'm on a business trip, however when I get home I will look for a 788 bolt. I have lots of receiver parts and bolt parts. I'll post it if I find one.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Jim Watson

The .30-30 bolt is different from the ones for rimless cartridges. I don't know if it is just the head or if the body differs, too.
Chance of finding one is small, and you can't have mine.

The bolt handle was furnace brazed on at the factory. It can be brazed, silver soldered, or maybe even welded back on by someone who knows what he is doing.
Old June 5, 2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Gbro

Thanks Phantom phixer,
The only other bolt i have found that is close is for the .44 Mag.
Jim,
i was looking at the posibility of silver soldering it permantly to the plug knowing that it would mean a sunset on useability.

I do have another question about 788's.
Has anyone known of the bolt locking feature being disabled or might it even be safe to do so??
it appears it would be very easy to do.
Kind of like the Ruger M77 early tang safety and the later non-bolt locking M77
Old June 5, 2013, 03:13 PM   #9
Jim Watson

I don't understand, why would you silver solder the bolt handle to the plug?
Put it back on the bolt body where it came from and shoot.

I guess you could delete the bolt lock feature of the safety, but why?
Just don't beat on it.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:39 PM   #10
Gbro

Quote:
I don't understand, why would you silver solder the bolt handle to the plug?
Put it back on the bolt body where it came from and shoot.
it is still attached to the bolt body and the bolt body being hollow and threaded for the end plug is where it broke.
Quote:
I guess you could delete the bolt lock feature of the safety, but why?
Well, Why did Ruger change to a bolt that could be opened without UN-safeing the gun?? I know that is in the era of the safety recall for the Trigger over-travel set screw.
Quote:
Just don't beat on it.
I am at fault with that.
Old June 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Goatwhiskers

If you broke a chunk out of the bolt body there is really no practical way to repair the break as it is right next to the lugs. Bear in mind that when you find a replacement body that the headspace must be checked, a replacement bolt is not a drop-in part. GW