The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 21, 2012, 07:10 PM   #26
scrubcedar

I've seen more than one patient that was hit in the head with a .22, then recovered. They weren't able to think right again, but they lived. I can think of maybe three in twenty years of nursing. From what I can remember the wound tracks when compared against the x-rays showing the bullets seemed pretty straight.I can't think of any that survived and functioned at any level with any other caliber. It's amazing the damage the brain can route around or heal. As I remember these were disgustingly healthy males in their twenties, doing stupid things, so no loss of anything they were using at the time.
Old November 23, 2012, 01:08 PM   #27
jimpeel

A gang member shot another with a .22 Mag rifle at an upward angle. The bullet entered his left rear side, went through a kidney, stomach and liver, bounced off of the rib, went back through the liver, went through both lungs, and lodged in his shoulder. It never exited. Twenty-twos do not have the mass to break the rib and exit as most heavier rounds do. In this case, if the shooter had been using a heavier round the wound could have been survivable. This is why they are so deadly.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 23, 2012, 01:10 PM   #28
jimpeel

Quote:
I can't think of any that survived and functioned at any level with any other caliber.
Gabby Giffords comes to mind. She has a gaited walk and her speech is affected.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old November 29, 2012, 02:54 PM   #29
GlockieWa

.22's are quiet and even quieter with a suppressor. They are also light to carry and conceal. I think these criteria make them suitable for assassins not the tissue damage.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:00 PM   #30
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
A gang member shot another with a .22 Mag rifle at an upward angle. The bullet entered his left rear side, went through a kidney, stomach and liver, bounced off of the rib, went back through the liver, went through both lungs, and lodged in his shoulder. It never exited. Twenty-twos do not have the mass to break the rib and exit as most heavier rounds do. In this case, if the shooter had been using a heavier round the wound could have been survivable. This is why they are so deadly.
This is interesting to hear. Essentially a .22 CAN be deadlier, if shot at the right angle
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old November 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Ben Towe

Quote:
Gabby Giffords comes to mind. She has a gaited walk and her speech is affected.
Malala Yousafzai is another, she is expected to fully recover.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Silent Bob

There was a kid I went to school with who walked with a limp stemming from the time his brother had negligently fired a .22 bullet into his knee while they were out plinking or something.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:47 AM   #33
BillM

[QUOTEI'm 65, and can recall listening to a 78 rpm record in some elementary class back in the 1950s, that was a recording of an elderly gent recalling his younger years in the old west. The recording had a short story, how back in the old west, on how dangerous and feared a 22 pistol was. As I recall the elderly gent on the recording claimed the impact of a 22 bullet of the bullet wasn't the problem, but the the lead poisoning from it sure did kill you][/QUOTE]

Probably not lead poisoning. A lack of understanding of infection,
sanitation and germs in general. Any wound, and especially a puncture
wound that could carry foreign material into the body was much more
likely to become septic and result in death back in the "good old days"
Old November 30, 2012, 12:08 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
The guy behind the counter said he knew that it was the choice of assassins because it would bounce around in the head of the victim causing great damage.
It must be true because I saw it on one of the TV shows I watch and they were examining an old skull. They knew he had been killed by a 22 because of all the dimpling inside the skull from the bullet bouncing around. Same show where they pick up a spent bullet and immediately identify it as a military sniper rifle because it was a .308.

I use the same bullet for my .308 hunting rifle, my .308 M1 Garand, my 300 Wby and my brothers Ruger 30-06. I must be doing it all wrong. I am such a dummy.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 30, 2012, 12:35 PM   #35
nate45

.22 lr is a great up close offensive round, it has relatively low noise, recoil and is lethal. I don't know how much bouncing around the projectiles do inside a skull, but I know for a fact they'll usually penetrate a skull and do enough damage to instantly kill.