The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 21, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1
Harley Quinn

Section for LEO only needed.

Hi, What do you think about that?
Harley
Old December 21, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Been brought up. Not gonna happen.

Reasoning: We work real hard to be inclusive. We work real hard to tear down the "Us vs Them" mentality. Sometimes we don't succeed; sometimes it appears that we're taking sides. But, still we try. Providing an LEO Only forum will be giving into those who would divide us.

Shall we have a Women's Only Forum? A Conspiracies Only Forum? We think not.
Rich
Old December 21, 2005, 01:00 PM   #3
Harley Quinn

I saw it on another forum, thought I would ask.

Thanks for the input.
I have not participated in it, just saw it on their menu.
Numerous forums do have such items.

Sort of like men and women Bano's. A place to relax and not feel like you are going to get hammered for a remark that will offend someone not in the Brotherhood of the blue.

S.W.A.T. Was an actual term that was coined by a group of men in Blue. Here it means something, I am not sure what though, since it is not a law enforcement Board as such. Just passing along a thought.

Harley
Old December 21, 2005, 01:23 PM   #4
pax

Quote:
Shall we have a Women's Only Forum? A Conspiracies Only Forum? We think not.
And thank you for that!!

pax
Old December 22, 2005, 09:59 AM   #5
Harley Quinn

Maybe Springmom would like that

She seemed to be on her own there for awhile. NDs will get you brig time in the service and lose pay in law enforcement. A story like hers might not have been received so bad if among her peers.

I did notice some stepped up to the plate and discussed it rationally though.
But only when some coaxing and deleating of posts occured. Good job CC.

Sections for different groups is not so out of the ordinary.

Harley
Old December 22, 2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Harley, but I regret that I didn't step in sooner. She got raked over the coals pretty good before the hammer came down.

I also don't think an LE only forum is a good idea. As much as a few posters have irritated me, I've learned a lot from them, none the less. Since I became a member of TFL, my eyes have really been opened to the ever growing Wall; I was only vaguely aware of it previously. The Forums give people the opportunity to be open and honest, without the threat (real or imagined) of reprisal. People speaking to me eyeball to eyeball aren't going to say what they really think, which ain't a good thing (usually ). Their words tell me how the wall's constructed, which we have to know in order to tear it down.

As for the few that culture mindless hate, nothing's going to change their minds and I don't take it personal. My shoulders are big enough to shrug it off.

There are a number of restricted access, LE only forums out there; I belong to several (had to jump through a few hoops to prove my identity). So with a click of the mouse, our LEO's do have places they can go. We do kick back & crack cop jokes there , but the main reason for them being restricted is that often times LE sensitive material is discussed.

Early in my LE career, I had a commander that had a, um... somewhat different approach to handling disputes between officers. He told 'em to go out back, settle it like men, and don't come back until you do. He would also force them to work together until the matter was resolved. It worked (most of the time). Sometimes there's merit to forcing opposing parties to face each other .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old December 22, 2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Harley Quinn

CC, thats true at least you know what they think

If it is good thats nice, if it isn't maybe we can improve and cross that gap.

Have you ever done a posse comitatus and no one helps? Or the room clears? Gulp. I received a call one time see the vice officer at such and such a bar such and such address. Needs help. We rolled and so did everyone else.

He was in a huge altercation and pulled 'posse comitatus' no one helped he was lucky some one called the dispatcher. We got there and it was a mess.

People got hurt and fast. He ended up arresting all in the bar and we called the wagon. It was a one of a kind I will tell you.
Most of the patrons were using smack and he caught a few redhanded dealing and tried to arrest. LOL

I knew the guy and if he was not, as tough as he was he probably would have been killed. Lot of stick time that night. LOL, Sorry I mean we arrested them.

Harley
Old December 23, 2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Lot of stick time that night. LOL, Sorry I mean we arrested them.
Gotta be PC today Harley ! Those were the days! I remember the old schoolers walking a beat and twirling the stick. It was a real art form. I tried to learn it but only beat myself silly (did the same thing with nun-chuckas too )

Quote:
Have you ever done a posse comitatus and no one helps?
No, but I have had people jump in and help, unasked. Gives you a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Steubenvile's a rough town. Most of the men here are either steelworkers, coal miners, or construction workers, and they're a hard drinkin' & two fisted bunch. I walked into a bar that had reported a drunk causing a disturbance. Tried to settle him down, but he wanted to fight, and... he had buddies. Just when I thought I was going to get a whoopin', a couple of big guys stepped up to the plate and said "leave the nice officer alone". They did . I didn't remember those guys until they reminded me. One I had cut a break on a red light about a year prior, and the other one I went the extra mile for when his car broke down with family aboard. People do remember .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 29, 2006, 06:08 PM   #9
Dust_Devil

Quote:
S.W.A.T. Was an actual term that was coined by a group of men in Blue. Here it means something, I am not sure what though, since it is not a law enforcement Board as such. Just passing along a thought.
Using 'Special Weapons And Tactics' is something that isn't necessarily only used by the law enforcement, but by private citizens who practice keeping themselves safe and defended at all times. Now the private citizen may not have as many "special weapons", but the "tactics" is something that can be practiced by both citizens and those in uniform.

I think it's great when there are those in law enforcment and the military who share and teach what they know and were taught about self-defense and using a weapon for self-defense to the ordinary citizen.
Having a community where the regular Joe and those in uniform work and communicate together is alot better than segregating the two apart.
Old January 29, 2006, 06:35 PM   #10
Harley Quinn

Dust Devil, I agree and understand.

I just thought I would ask and see what the feelings were. It is nice to see some input. I do believe this is one of the best Forum's on the net, guns or not. Very well administered (moderated) and good participation.

Sorry about not posting sooner on your comment Captain. I have had similar help on a few occasions.
One of my worst altercation's was with someone who helped, but not me LOL...
HQ
Old January 30, 2006, 09:58 AM   #11
12-34hom

Harley, I've been here since 99 - seen alot come & go with regards to the "us vs.them" discussions here and at THR.

Having a LEO section here, would reinforce the already negative mind set that more than a few exhibit here towards the law enforcement. I've butted heads with them and the management of this place over posts that only widened the gap between the us vs.them crowd. Yet, many were allowed to run - only to be have to be shut down after hard feelings had accumulated.

Somewhat comical, as some of the moderators are LEO;s - owner runs SWAT magazine. When Capt Charlie first appeared - i saw it as a good thing - but soon he was swayed and went to the dark side.....

There have other pro LEO posters here that quit posting because of all this B.S. I hang around here because I'm tolerated by staff - and i don't run from a fight.

My point is to evaluate each individual incident or officer on the merits of his or her actions. If this was done on both sides of the issue alot of this us vs. them would go away.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:26 PM   #12
Harley Quinn

I think both sides of the story are welcomed as long

As the playing field, is not to one sided.
The fact that we try to get along is good but the 'thin blue line' is just that.

When the chips are down and you need some help I have found that it is not your average Joe that will give you the hand. Talk is cheap and after all that is what is going on at most of the forums. Just talk.

I believe it is a good reminder to the LEO as to the real world that we have/had to face on a daily basis.

HQ
Old January 30, 2006, 09:32 PM   #13
Eghad

I think it should be open....

That way us citizens get to read whats going on and get the 411 too. That means I get to see your point of view also.

I have only had one bad experience with a law enforcement officer. However, that didnt last long because the SR partner in the car jacked him up for being rude.

Everytime I have been stopped I was polite to the officer and he was polite. I didnt try to BS em, I told em the truth. Most of the time I got off with a warning ticket or a verbal warning. Even If I ran into a rude cop Im not going to roll in the mud with him.

Now everybody here doesnt see it that way...but thats life. Sometimes we choose to disagree but that is what America is about.

So I dont think a forum that excludes people here is a good idea.

NRA Life Member
Old January 31, 2006, 06:00 PM   #14
Optical Serenity

I don't see it as a dividing line, but I simply don't think TFL needs an LEO only section..Why? Because 95% of the people here hate anything that is govt or LEO.

-Yet another LEO on here...a minority I suppose.