The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 10, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
lwfiredog

Is there a IL shotgun magazine limit??

Hi everyone, maybe someone of you can answer this question for me. I was out shooting today at Buffalo Range in Ottawa, IL this morning, and the range officer came up and asked me how many shells fit in my shotgun ( Remington 870 tactical) and I answered, 7 + 1. He proceeded to get somewhat defensive saying how that is illegal to have in IL without a magazine plug in place limiting the number of shells. Ive heard that you need such a plug for hunting purposes, but for a shotgun that is either at home for defense or at the range to plink. Im not a hunter and never plan to be. If anyone has a straight answer to this, thatd be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old May 11, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
wally626

For hunting yes,

Quote:
(m) It is unlawful to use any shotgun capable of holding more than 3 shells in the magazine or chamber combined, except on game breeding and hunting preserve areas licensed under Section 3.27 and except as permitted by the Code of Federal Regulations for the taking of waterfowl. If the shotgun is capable of holding more than 3 shells, it shall, while being used on an area other than a game breeding and shooting preserve area licensed pursuant to Section 3.27, be fitted with a one piece plug that is irremovable without dismantling the shotgun or otherwise altered to render it incapable of holding more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber, combined.
Nothing on the NRA site about capacity just length, I searched the Illinois code and turned up nothing.
Old May 11, 2010, 05:35 PM   #3
B. Lahey

I'm pretty sure Chicago, and possibly some of the more loopy suburbs, have tube restrictions.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
mrray13

For hunting, there is a max of 3. For home defense there isn't a limit I can find.