The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 10, 2010, 12:13 AM   #1
pro tc

nra ccw test

now that iowa has a shall issue law. im signed up for the nra ccw test at the local gun range. anyone take the nra test? the instructor said it was very easy. bring gun and 50 rounds also a sack lunch.
pro tc
Old May 10, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Sefner

MI does the NRA test I think. It's not that bad. You have to land 6 for 6 on a man-sized silhouette at 7 yards. Our instructor ended up using paper plates because they are smaller and thus give us a sense of urgency and nervousness (the kind you might experience in a real situation). Everyone passed, a few needed a little work but they all made it. You can try as many times as you want (at least here). If you get a good instructor it's a great experience.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:43 AM   #3
RetiredMajor

Hey, pro tc...I'm an NRA Instructor in Dubuque. I'm holding a class on June 26 and another one on June 27 at the Izaac Walton League. My class is $50.00. That's lower than my normal rate because we're celebrating the new law! We have a bunch of folks who want to get their training done. The class shouldn't be a problem unless you are a recurring safety issue and can't take instruction.

Major

Last edited by RetiredMajor; May 10, 2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old May 10, 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
pro tc

recurring safety issue lol. i dont think i am. the class is at central range and its 75,00. i have four guys going with me. i will tell them about your class and maybe we will sign up. thanks major
pro tc
Old May 11, 2010, 10:32 AM   #5
RetiredMajor

Pro tc, just let me know with an email or PM from here. At $50 my classes will fill up fast, but you sure are welcome!

major
Old May 11, 2010, 03:41 PM   #6
markj

Where can I find training in the Council Bluffs area? There are a few wanting to go thru it now rather than wait.
Old May 11, 2010, 10:45 PM   #7
pro tc

i would call your local gun range/store for info
pro tc
Old May 14, 2010, 10:19 AM   #8
AJG

???

NRA CCW test? Can someone explain to me what this is exactly? Because the NRA does not have a CCW course.
Persona Protection in the Home & Outside but not a CCW course.

Last edited by AJG; May 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:04 PM   #9
RetiredMajor

AJG...maybe I can help. Iowa recently passed a SHALL ISSUE law which becomes effective January 1, 2011. One of the ways to meet the training requirement for a permit is to take an NRA Handgun Course from an NRA Certified Instructor within the 12 month period prior to applying. So, a lot of Iowans are looking for these NRA Courses. For example, the BASIC PISTOL COURSE would meet the training qualification. I teach that course and that's the course he's referencing.

So, NRA CCW course is just a misnomer based on our new law.

Major
Old May 14, 2010, 08:45 PM   #10
wally626

AFAIN there is not a formal marksmanship test, just that the instructor needs to certify that you can safely handle and shoot a gun. In the class I took we had to load the gun and fire it a few times. We brought 50 rounds but the class was pretty full so I don't think anyone got off more than 20 or 30 rounds in the time allotted. The best in the class shot the middle out of the target, a 25yard pistol target at maybe 5 yards, some like me spread it out a bit more a and a few had a pretty even spread of holes over all the target. I think is was 20 by 24 something inch. One lady, with I think a derringer, never hit the target, but I think she still passed.