The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Ale GOlem

.22 Revolver (Full Underlug)

I'm looking to purchase a .22 revolver to practice my fundamentals prior to purchasing a .357 and I'd much prefer one with a full underlug, simply for aesthetic reasons. I know the extra weight is hardly necessary for the round but I just prefer the looks. A single action may be an alternative however I'm not sure if that would be a wise decision since I'm planning on buying double action revolvers in the future. A $200-$400 price point would be ideal.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
bird_dog

I'm enjoying my Taurus 970. It's a 7 shot double action 22lr. The new version is the 992, though its legality is still up for debate here in NY, due to the 9 shot capacity.

It's a Tracker model, full lug, highly accurate, and very nice to look at. I took mine out for its maiden small game hunt this week.

I topped mine with a Millett red-dot scope and its very accurate. More accurate than me. Hope this helps.

How's the winter up in Port Henry? I have cousins in Plattsburgh.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog
How's the winter up in Port Henry? I have cousins in Plattsburgh.
We actually moved down to Saratoga county a year ago, I forgot to update my information.
Old February 9, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Joe_Pike

I was going to suggest the S&W 17-8, but they will not meet the cost criteria. I bought one used 3-4 years ago for $399, but I don't know what they go for now.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Doyle

S&W 617 - but you aren't likely to find one in your price range.
Old February 9, 2013, 11:54 PM   #6
a7mmnut

Taurus certainly has the most options. They just need the cylinders recessed and pinned by a competent gunsmith first.

-7-
Old February 10, 2013, 04:39 AM   #7
Thud

What about the Spanish Astra Cadix 9-shot?
Old February 10, 2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Gdawgs

Dan Wesson, but they are getting harder to come by every day. My DW 22 is one of my favorite guns.

Here's mine, which doesn't have the full underlug, but some have them. Although I'm not sure why you need it, plenty heavy the way it is.

Old February 10, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
CajunBass

Another nod for the Dan Wesson, but it would have to be beat up to come in under $400.00. I've owned several of them in 22, but have always sold them because they are so heavy. The last one was a beautiful gun, with a 4 inch heavy lug, vent rib barrel. It was heavier than a Smith & Wesson Model 29.

Great guns otherwise.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 10, 2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Venom1956

I'll third a DW22. Mine was under 300 but had some cosmetic issues on the shroud. nothing that could be swapped out! Also with some more cash you can get 2"-10" barrels for you gun... whats not to like?!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 10, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Zachary H.

Although a little out of your price range, I would suggest the Ruger SP101. They retail for about $550 and are about as solid as the rock of Gibraltar. It is available in both .22lr and .357magnum built on the same frame, so transitioning would be very easy. I just picked one up used in .357 w/ 2 1/4" barrel for $375 out the door.

In the revolver world it is hard a good wheelgun new in your price range. You are limited to Taurus and Charter Arms. Taurus has a reputation for bad QC. However, they do have an excellent warranty. If this is your max, I would suggest a used Ruger or Smith & Wesson.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary H.
Although a little out of your price range, I would suggest the Ruger SP101. They retail for about $550 and are about as solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

In the revolver world it is hard a good wheelgun new in your price range.
I looked at the SP101 in .22, mostly because I love the looks of the 4" GP100, however t appears the .22 has a half lug. I know it's irrational but I think a half lug on a revolver looks hideous, it looks like the factory didn't finish making it before they shipped it.

Since this is my first handgun most of the extra money that would go towards what I really want is being sunk into fingerprinting and licensing fees as well as safety equipment, storage and join fees for a gun club. I may just wait around and see if I get lucky on a pre-owned Dan Wesson or S&W.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Waspinator

Hi,

Another option for new, in your price range, is a CzechPoint 22LR revolver. They have two models, one in 4" ($292 +s/h) and the other in 6" ($298 +s/h). They have full underlugs and are basically a Smith and Wesson clone. Might be worth checking into.

I see they are currently out of stock, perhaps you can contact them to see when they will be back in stock. I do not own one, but I have read that they are decent and any problems that may arise, there is a gentleman named Dan that is very nice to deal with.

Link: http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/22-lr/

I have read that "CzechPoint" is just the importer and the actual maker is "Alpha Proj" , located in the Czech Republic. Some research says that they are generally thought of as decent firearms.

Link the Alpha Proj: http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/...rms/revolvers/

Picture of the 4"

Worth a look I think. I know that I have been considering one (.38 sp or .357), that is why I was doing the research. I have been also looking at lower priced alternatives due to the crazy prices lately.

I just thought I would throw it out there, because I also like the full underlug look
Old February 10, 2013, 04:11 PM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
... doesn't have the full under lug, but some have them. Although I'm not sure why you need it, plenty heavy the way it is.
The under lug just does not provide weight to control recoil. The weight bias forward enables a more steady aim as observed in Olympic Rapid Fire pistols that actually have movable weights on the barrels to give an appropriate muzzle heavy effect. So, even in a .22 Rim Fire, under lugs provide an advantage in a more steady aim.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

A Charter Arms Pathfinder would be an option in your price range. But with a quick look around on the Inet, they seem to be as hard to find as everything else. Just have to search one up somewhere.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
mj246

I'll second the Charter Arms pathfinder 22 if you can find one. I bought one last year and it has been a very dependable and accurate little plinker. Plus it is only 6 rounds not 8 or 9. while to many that may seem like a shortcoming compared to the others it both saves questions of legality over the idiotic new capacity limits in NY and saves a little time/effort in cleaning because of the lesser number of chambers to brush/patch through. Just my opinion, but they are definitely worth consideration under the current management.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:29 PM   #17
rclark

A Ruger Single Six would be a good choice. You don't need a DA for target practice (or anything really) or varminting, or point shooting or ..... Mine always is in my range bag.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A Ruger Single Six would be a good choice. You don't need a DA for target practice

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a .22 revolver to practice my fundamentals prior to purchasing a .357 and I'd much prefer one with a full underlug, simply for aesthetic reasons.
Betcha the OP isn't planning on a SA 357 though!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 11, 2013, 05:50 PM   #19
rclark

I know.... But, IMHO, fundamentals don't require an 'underlug' or DA for target practice whether .22, the peanut .357, or a big bore . Just lots of 22 ammo! Of course I guess it all depends on one's definition of fundamentals!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Ale GOlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
IMHO, fundamentals don't require an 'underlug' or DA for target practice whether .22, the peanut .357, or a big bore . Just lots of 22 ammo!
You're 100% correct however I like full underlugs, purely for aesthetic reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Of course I guess it all depends on one's definition of fundamentals!
Proper handling, safety, stance and training away my flinch.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Wild-Bill

I can see some of the problem with the Taurus 94 is that the thumb pad of the hammer is not big enough. The 22 revolvers shown in this thread had a noticeably bigger thumb pad. It would help the 94 in single action with the heavy trigger spring. I'm looking at the hammer to see what idea I could come up with out in the machine shop.
I know, the heavy spring is another story.
I just bought a 5" 94, its what I could afford for now.
Nice looking pieces guys.
Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Taurus 94SS5.jpg (232.3 KB, 26 views)
Old February 14, 2013, 08:39 PM   #22
Obambulate

The S&W 617 (.22lr) and 686 (.357) are the perfect modern combination with full underlugs, but they will cost you about $700 each. Each are available with 4" or 6" barrel.

The Model 63 (.22lr) and M60 3" (.357) would be a J-frame combo worth looking into. Run ya about $650 each if you can find them.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:27 AM   #23
The_Shootist

Quote:
The S&W 617 (.22lr) and 686 (.357) are the perfect modern combination with full underlugs, but they will cost you about $700 each. Each are available with 4" or 6" barrel.

The Model 63 (.22lr) and M60 3" (.357) would be a J-frame combo worth looking into. Run ya about $650 each if you can find them.
Luckily I got both a few years ago - both pre-ILS. 6" bbl 617 and 4" bbl 686+. REAL sweet combo. Pretty much anything you need to do with a revolver can be handled by these two!
Old February 15, 2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Zhillsauditor

I recently got a 17-8 with a full underlug, and it is quite nice. I'm not a fan of the 617 6" due to the weight and balance, but the 17-8 is light enough that it feels right.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Obambulate

I'm starting to see reports of the Rossi R98 Plinker out there. This is a recent model, looks to be similar to the Taurus 94. Available with 2", 4", or 6" barrel, all with adjustable sights. 8-shot cylinder. 29 oz for the 4".

List price is $400 and can be found for $300+. Looks interesting.