The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Rugerno1shooter

Hornady LEVERevolution bullets for sale??

Anyone know if Hornady is going to start releasing these bullets for reloading (the LEVERevolution bullets).

Seems like they'd be a fun bullet to reload for the .45-70 in a strong action!!!
Old April 19, 2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Darren007

They said they would once they got caught up producing boxed ammo with those paticular bullets. Of course this was over a year ago so I dont know why exactly why they havent yet.
Old April 21, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
langenc

I emailed right after they came out. Got an answer about like posted above.

We should ALL email and ask again what the status of the project is!!
Old April 21, 2008, 09:42 PM   #4
rickomatic

I was just reading a related topic on another forum the other day.
There might be another reason why they haven't released the bullets to reloaders yet. A legal one.
Apparently the cases used for the Leverevolution ammo are shorter than standard cases. At least that is the case for the 45-70 ones. It has something to do with the OAL of the bullet themselves, and their fear of loading those bullets in regular length cases. Of course it can be done. But as we all know, once the attorneys realize there could be mistakes made by "novices", they get real nervous.
Hopefully they'll go ahead and release them with specific loading instructions and precautions.
We shall see.
Old April 22, 2008, 09:46 AM   #5
DEDON45

Rickomatic, that's interesting... what exactly would be the issue (not asking you specifically, just a rhetorical question)? Hornady would have to release an addendum to their latest reloading manual to cover new OAL specs for the bullet (for obvious reasons... I suppose the bullets are longer)... but other than that, I don't see a problem. They could even fold up a spec page in the bullet box...

I sure wish they'd make these available, I'd love to see what these would do in my old Marlin 336 .30-30.
Old April 22, 2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Yithian

I'm sure the reason for its delay is soft primer issues.
It may be a softer point but there are some really soft primers out there.
Old April 22, 2008, 08:10 PM   #7
langenc

Yithian-if soft primers are the problem then they(Hornady) must use a different primer when they load them?? How many kinds are there??
Old April 22, 2008, 09:42 PM   #8
rickomatic

Here is the thread I referenced earlier. Not so much a danger issue, as a function issue.

Leverevolution brass lengths
Old April 23, 2008, 12:48 AM   #9
Yithian

Federal Primers are notorious for being soft.
One way to determine if you have soft primers is to load a semi-auto rifle that does not have a spring retained firing pin.
Load two rounds.
Fire the first and eject the second.
Inspect the primer of the unfired second cartridge.
The dent is caused by the floating firing pin impacting a soft primer when the bolt slammed home.

Imagine if that primer was in your handloads with LeveRevolution bullets.
A battery explosion is a higher probability in a tube magazine, even with the softer points.
Something, I'm sure, Hornady would worry about.

CCI makes relatively hard primers and even makes very hard primers for military use. Many military guns have floating firing pins.
I think Hornady should provide the appropriate primer with the ammo.
It isn't like it would add that much to the cost, other than hazmat fees in shipping. But those fees already exist in shipping primers alone.
Maybe that is an issue of shipping primers in the same container as hard metals rattling around?