The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 4, 2018, 07:32 PM   #51
Leaf

For whatever it's worth, I've had the Ruger SR22 require second strikes and on several other occasions had the .22 casings crack and stick within the chamber following ignition with a few different brands of ammo. I never had similar experiences shooting a Ruger Mark III 22/45 with the same ammo.
Old October 24, 2018, 10:24 AM   #52
ARgon

Get a really good Camden Highstandard Victor. 500ish could be a lot of things, spring for the extra money, you will not be sorry you did. Mine is 40 some odd years old and is a tack driver.
Old October 26, 2018, 01:03 AM   #53
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
Personally, beings I own one, I would caution against the SR22. I bought mine as a suppressor host, which it is fine for. Aside from that the whole gun is just, meh. The trigger is kinda mushty, the sights are okayish, it feels cheap, and it’s pattern is reminiscent of buckshot. Il keep it as a trainer for new ahooters and again as a sup host, but I think I’m going with the aforementioned mkIII with the long barrel.
Comparing a polymer framed plinker to an all steel match/competition pistol isn't a fair comparison or a good one. Ruger markets it as a "Do it all pistol" that's "reliable" and in those regards, the SR22 lives up to the claims. Want is for CCW? It works well for that. Want it to suppress? Works well for that. Want it to shoot cans? Great for that. Double action hammer makes it reliable in case the first whack on the rimfire primer doesn't go off.