The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2016, 09:58 PM   #76
Boogershooter

Why is there a difference in trading gifts for birthdays, or for Christmas, or because I like your gun and you like mine. Just because I buy a gun/gift that I know he wants doesn't mean I'm guilty of something. I'm sure the court wouldn't convict me if he gave me $1200 worth of underwear although I'm sure it would draw some laughter.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:07 PM   #77
mehavey

Quote:
I'm sure the court wouldn't convict me if he gave me $1200 worth of underwear....
I'm wouldn't bet your future on that.

- You bought the gun and check the box that you were ...the actual transferee/buyer..."
- Knowing full well that you were "...acquiring the firearm on behalf of another person..."
..who was going to give you good and valuable consideration (as goes the legal term for
..whatever that consideration was) for that firearm.

Straw Purchase -- pure and simple.
Slam dunk were I on the jury.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:18 PM   #78
Boogershooter

Mehave my whole family would be in jail if that were the case.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:22 PM   #79
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogershooter
Why is there a difference in trading gifts for birthdays, or for Christmas, or because I like your gun and you like mine. Just because I buy a gun/gift that I know he wants doesn't mean I'm guilty of something....
You can tell whatever cockamamie story you want, but no one has to believe you. In addition, if you wind up prosecuted, the prosecutor will probably be able to track back to these posts.

Plaintiff lawyers, law enforcement and prosecutors know all about social media and have been learning to use it effectively in civil litigation, criminal investigations and prosecutions. See this article headlined "Bay Area prosecutors increasingly using social media posts in criminal cases" from the 16 August 2013 edition of the Contra Costa Times:
Quote:
PLEASANTON -- A teenage driver originally accused of vehicular manslaughter now faces a murder charge in the death of a bicyclist, partly because prosecutors say he bragged on Twitter about driving dangerously.

His case is part of a growing trend of social media posts being used as evidence against suspects, authorities said Friday.

As suspects feel compelled to post their misdeeds online for audiences to see, investigators have taken advantage, using the online quasi-confessions to bolster their cases, Bay Area prosecutors said.

In San Francisco, a cyclist in March fatally struck a 71-year-old pedestrian in a crosswalk after speeding through three red lights in the Castro District. Chris Bucchere, who eventually pleaded guilty to felony vehicular manslaughter, received a stiffer charge after he posted his explanation of the crash on a cycling group's website....
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old January 19, 2016, 10:23 PM   #80
Boogershooter

It's the same as exchanging gifts at Christmas. I bought my father a couple old pre 64 winchesters and he bought me a new supergrade. Value the same but clearly bought with intent to give as a gift. Why is a birthday any diffetent? Just because the value is close to the same? It all boils down to how the court system plays it. My judge here small town may say look these guys are both collectors and no illegal intent but a judge in new York or California that doesn't like guns or know your family will figure out a way to convict you.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:39 PM   #81
Boogershooter

Because of the law I can't buy my cousin a rifle he wants as a gift in fear that if he buys me a birthday gift on my birthday I could be convicted of a felony? That man is in harms way protecting the very freedoms we are arguing about! That would be the story of the year and I wouldn't be a citizen in this country after my release if that were to happen. The government does not mind sending him to foreign soil with a gun but would prosecute a man for buying him a rifle as a birthday gift upon his return to this country would be more than I could bare.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:41 PM   #82
JimPage

This is really getting tiresome. Booger, you're wrong! Give it up.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old January 19, 2016, 10:52 PM   #83
Boogershooter

My apologies, my ranting is over and I was being very argumentative just to shut down the other arguments. Believe me I was laughing at myself as I typed some of that. The law is just as objective as the bible or any other script. Arguments over it are always foolish.
Old January 19, 2016, 10:54 PM   #84
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I've read all I needed to read, by the time I got to the end of page 2. Then we had page three. Didn't stop there. No! We got to page four...

We're done folks.
Closed Thread