The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 25, 2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Billy Z

Firearms ID Card Revoked (NJ)

Ill try to make this as plain and simple as I can.

When I was 20 years old I got into a big fight (intoxicated) and was arrested in Delaware county Pennsylvania.

While inside the police car I had said the words. This is bull[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] "Im going to kill myself" and a few other random statements.

The police took me to holding facility shortly then sent me to a hospital for monitoring. I was there for approximately 14 hours.

After being evaluated by a psychiatric doctor, I was released on my own will.

Jump forward 9 years. I apply for a Firearms ID card. at my local police station

I was approved my Firearms ID card, and pistol permit.

I went to my local firearms dealer and applied to purchase a pistol.

To be approved at the dealer you must be submitted to a telephone background check, National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS).

After approximately 30 minutes I was Denied! ????????

Next step, I contacted NICS directly and find out why?

To my surprise, when I was brought to the "hospital" it was a "mental health facility"

About a month later the chief of police from my township finds out, he then knocks on my door and insists I hand over my Firearms ID card.

He has not been very helpful and tells me I can take this to court. But I am unsure of what I should be prepared for.

Does anyone have any input on a situation like this?
Old December 25, 2015, 04:20 PM   #2
JERRYS.

unfortunately you are in a may issue state that is generally no issue. if you have the money to hire a lawyer you can do so but be mindful that you are fighting an uphill battle in NJ.
Old December 25, 2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Billy Z

@JERRYS post. In what direction should I present an issue of this nature with a attorney? Is it possible to ever obtain a Firearms ID card after being "instituted" regardless of the duration of stay?
Old December 25, 2015, 06:10 PM   #4
101combatvet

Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f.)

ATF Form 4473
Old December 25, 2015, 06:29 PM   #5
rwilson452

Your going to need a lawyer and the hospital records. Then your lawyer can determine the next step. As your in NJ I wouldn't hold out much help.
Old December 25, 2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

As others said, you need to speak to a competent attorney. We don't know the whole situation, and we don't have access to the relevant documentation. Nor would it be prudent to post that much personal information on a public forum.
Old December 26, 2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
. . . . Nor would it be prudent to post that much personal information on a public forum.
To expound slightly on Tom's comment, above, what you discuss with your attorney is confidential by law. What you post on the internet for a bunch of strangers to read is not.