The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 19, 2018, 09:48 PM   #1
Cowtownlion

Advice on home gun

Hi all. Hoping to get some suggestions. I’m looking for a specific set of parameters for my home (nightstand) pistol. The one gun that meets all the requirements is the FNX-46 Tactical, however, the price after the RMR sight is a tough pill to swallow ($1,700). I had a chance to check out the 509 tactical, however, I really want SA/DA option. Can you guys help me choose a pistol that has:

RMR Mounts
Single/double action (decocker)
Threaded barrel (no, I won’t have a suppressor but I like the look)
Caliber doesn’t matter, dead is dead
Preferably a mag capacity of 14+

Any pistols you guys would recommend would be so appreciated.
Old November 19, 2018, 09:59 PM   #2
Siggy-06

A lot of current production pistols with the rmr cut slides are striker fired unfortunately. I believe Sig makes the 226/227 with a RMR slide, but other than the fn 45, nothing else comes to mind.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:10 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

You might consider that there are many places that will mill your slide for you, so you don't have to choose an out of the box gun with the slide already milled.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:12 PM   #4
OhioGuy

My home defense and frequent carry is a CZ P-07 that was cut for the RMR by CZ Custom. Love it.
Old November 19, 2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Wyosmith

For carry all day everywhere a handgun is what is needed.

For HOME defense, get a shotgun or a rifle.
Old November 19, 2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Cowtownlion

Thanks for all the replies thus far everyone. 2 responses: I do have a shotgun at home as well, but I keep it in the closet and would like a nightstand gun. In regard to getting RMR sights cut out, I asked 2 gun shops and both said it could compromise the strength of the slide. It makes sense to me, but then again I’m not an expert. Is that just “monsters under the bed” talk, or is that a legitimate concern?
Old November 19, 2018, 11:48 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

https://gallowayprecision.com/search...keep_https=yes
Old November 20, 2018, 12:49 AM   #8
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...I asked 2 gun shops and both said it could compromise the strength of the slide.
This is code for" "We can't do that here." whether they mean it to be or not.

It does weaken the slide, but not in a way that is of any practical concern.

You just need to find a company that knows what they are doing. The best way is to get a couple of recommends for a company that has done the modification successfully for the gun you're interested in having cut.
Old November 20, 2018, 06:25 AM   #9
Siggy-06

Something like this might be a good alternative:
https://ustacticalsupply.com/sightmo...erettapx4.aspx
Old November 20, 2018, 08:00 AM   #10
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith View Post
For carry all day everywhere a handgun is what is needed.

For HOME defense, get a shotgun or a rifle.
Agree..easy to hit someone, proper round won't go thru a wall, makes a lot of noise. Ooops, see above, you already have a shotgun..in the 'RTFP' category.

I have a night stand G19 with a light on it..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 20, 2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

First off, I'd recommend a long gun for home defense over a handgun.

Second and more importantly to the topic, I have an FNX-45 Tactical in FDE with an optic and all that jazz on my nightstand. Sporting an FDE Surefire X300U-A. Yes, it is great and I do recommend one. But that price is something most people are deterred by.

HK USP 9, Expert, or Compact can be had with a threaded barrel.

I also have an MK25 with a threaded barrel and X300U-A. The P229 is good to go as well.

DA/SA is my favorite platform with striker-fired right behind it.

Check those out!
Old November 21, 2018, 11:38 AM   #12
Cowtownlion

Thank you for the great leads. I Appreciate everyone’s feedback k.
Old November 21, 2018, 12:07 PM   #13
bp22

gotta say this not sure how much shooting you wanna do but I now keep the 300 dollar security9 bedside more then accurate shoots everything you put in it, not a single malfunction yet
Old November 21, 2018, 12:08 PM   #14
LineStretcher

Your nightstand gun should have open sights and a high cap mag. I prefer a flash light also. The less stuff you have to find the better off you'll be. I just bought a Glock 45 9mm with a 17+1 capacity to replace my Kimber Custom II .45 ACP with the RMR and laser grip sight. It would do the job but target acquisition was slow with the RMR. I also have a semi auto shotgun nearby.
Old November 21, 2018, 12:18 PM   #15
dontcatchmany

I have had an FNX 45 and FNX 40 and FNS 40 (my first striker pistol).

They each have approx. 2500 rds with out a failure.

The 45 is my bedside gun and he 40s are used in other areas on my property/vehicles. I have a 9mm and a 357 Sig barrel for the 40s and the magazines. All are more accurate than I and I totally enjoy shooting them.

I do trust them!
Old November 21, 2018, 06:20 PM   #16
rt11002003

A home defense pistol should be reliable and easy to use in the dark. Just pick it up and squeeze the trigger, no safeties, nor cocking. My house has a pair of .357 Mag revolvers lying around, one upstairs, the other down stairs.
Old November 21, 2018, 07:15 PM   #17
FITASC

To address the long gun aspect, simply place it between your bed and nightstand so it remains fairly upright securely, yet is easy to get to. I leave mine with the hammer down on an empty chamber so it is a matter of rack and go
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 21, 2018, 07:22 PM   #18
FairWarning

HK USP 45 is my home sidearm.

Although Daddy is my Mossy 500 12 GA.
Old November 21, 2018, 07:29 PM   #19
cw308

I have a S&W model 4566 built like a tank SA/ DA 45ACP
Old November 21, 2018, 10:40 PM   #20
Bill Daniel

Home Gun

My home gun is a Glock 21 with a Crimson Trace light and laser in a bedside holster. The light is set on strobe to disorient the intruder the laser is for my 63 year old eyes. 13+1 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 45 acp.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old November 22, 2018, 08:53 AM   #21
cw308

Any firearm with enough knock down power your comfortable with . 38spl to 45acp to 12 gauge.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:05 AM   #22
ms6852

My FNX works fine in the dark without an RMR sight. The nights sights are very bright and if they began to get dim recharge them by shining a flashlight to the sights just before going to bed or replace them. RMR sights are expensive for just an "in case" scenario that hopefully will never happen. Get the gun first and than save money for a few months and by the rmr sight. In the meantime the nights sights are excellent by themselves.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:12 AM   #23
Nathan

What is your experience with these features? How did you get to these specs? Do you shot a gun similar now?
Old November 23, 2018, 07:50 AM   #24
JDBerg

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p226-...full-size.html

This Sig Sauer P226 Legion RX fits the bill except for the requirement for a threaded barrel which you can buy separately.

Personally I’d want to avoid a “gunsmith” who says that milling a slide for an RMR mount will compromise the strength of the slide, that is code phrase for run away from there in a hurry!
Old November 24, 2018, 04:24 AM   #25
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Something like this might be a good alternative:
https://ustacticalsupply.com/sightmo...erettapx4.aspx
I don't know about this particular product but if it works well, the PX4 wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm another DA/SA guy and I have experience with several choices in this style. The FNX series is good but the PX4 just seems like a nicer pistol overall. The fit and finish are excellent. The trigger is decent right out of the box. The ergonomics in general are good. The rotating barrel system handles recoil like a charm, making it a breeze in 9mm and probably the softest-shooting polymer-framed option in .40 S&W. My only complaint is those bat-wing safeties but Beretta makes a kit to replace them with flush-fitting decocking levers.

The barrel isn't threaded but since Cowtownlion said the interest was aesthetic, I wonder if the PX4's unique look is attractive enough?