The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2018, 07:05 PM   #1
Dano4734

Grip N pull bullet puller

Yup bought one cause I have fifty messed up 454 loads. You see most people make a mistake on one or two. Not me no sir- ee I have to really mess up. Anyway I bought one, may work great on something that doesn’t have a major factory crimp like the beast I put on these rascals- another one of my early disasters problems. However the expensive gadget didn’t grip nor pull as these 340 grain hardcast bullets won’t move if I put a come a long on them.. ugh. I then went back to my little pounder hammer thingy and would have put buddy rich to shame with the drumming. Still nothing. Next I will try my brothers John deer loader maybe just maybe. Any ideas
I thought about my dentist, she took a back molar out that I swear the roots went to my feet , maybe she can get them to budge. My new grip n pull only gave me a heria. I am a lost cause

Last edited by Dano4734; November 5, 2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old November 5, 2018, 07:11 PM   #2
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano4734 View Post
Yup bought one cause I have fifty messed up 454 loads. You see most people make a mistake on one or two. Not me no sir- ee I have to really mess up. Anyway I bought one, may work great on something that doesn’t have a major factory crimp like the beast I put on these rascals- another one of my early disasters problems. However the expensive gadget didn’t grip nor pull as these 340 grain hardcast bullets won’t move if I put a come a long on them.. ugh. I then went back to my little pounder hammer thingy and would have put buddy rich to shame with the drumming. Still nothing. Next I will try my brothers John deer loader maybe just maybe. Any ideas
I have found that using the hammer puller and hitting on hardwood works best. Just go to lowes and buy the .25 samples.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 5, 2018, 07:16 PM   #3
Dano4734

I was using cement, i will try again
Old November 5, 2018, 07:19 PM   #4
FITASC

I place a piece of hardwood on a solid steel block so there is no further give. Using the rebounding method, it sometimes takes a few whacks if I have a tough crimp. Remember to let inertia do the work for you; you aren't trying ti hammer 16d nails into oak with one hammer blow.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 5, 2018, 07:21 PM   #5
MarkCO

Collet puller on the heavy crimp.

The grip and pull works on the no crimp rifle cases, but that is about it for me.
Old November 5, 2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Dano4734

Back down stairs hammering on a board now as I hear my wife saying don’t make me come down there. How long do I have to keep hammering? No go. I have a piece of oak that I am using. Reminds me of a song
If I had a hammer there would be no rap music
Seriously how can I just dispose of them since I am getting no where
Old November 5, 2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Dano4734

Ok will buy a collet puller for sure
Old November 5, 2018, 07:36 PM   #8
lamarw

I place a short piece of 2/6 in my vice and hit the hammer puller with a light grip so it vibrates against the cut end of the wood. I guess you would say striking with the grain of the wood. It may take two or three strikes but works. The long pole in the tent is putting each round in & out of the puller.
Old November 5, 2018, 07:49 PM   #9
RC20

The inertia type work best on a concrete surface, my shop floor woks fine though its got a layer of some kind of stick on things. They are not wood, maybe porcelain.

I like the inertia for a one off of sometimes a couple.

As the numbers get higher the Hornady cam over lever collet type gets put in the press and away we go.

I have had some seated so deep it was a bit tough.

None of mine are crimped or seated tight (the annealing keeps the necks more pliable)
Old November 6, 2018, 10:48 AM   #10
rebs

press mounted puller for me and no problems. For just a few I use the hammer puller and hit it on my steel vice anvil
Old November 6, 2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Reloadron

Collet type bullet pullers generally work well with jacketed bullets and even then the collet needs enough bullet to bite down on. Never had any luck with lead handgun bullets. A kinetic puller (hammer), a hard concrete or similar surface and a large pile of patience. Good luck on this.

Ron
Old November 6, 2018, 11:00 AM   #12
gw44

Don't forget the ear plugs, it makes the same sound as shooting a gun !!!
Old November 6, 2018, 11:14 AM   #13
hounddawg

Like Reloadron collet pullers have never worked for me on cast bullets. I have a thick piece of ipe which is a S American hardwood that I use. Go by any hardwood flooring installer and they see if they will give you a cutoff, hard maple, red oak or teak would be a good choice also. Hard as iron and gives that hammer style bullet puller a nice bounce
Old November 6, 2018, 11:32 AM   #14
RC20

Quote:
press mounted puller for me and no problems. For just a few I use the hammer puller and hit it on my steel vice anvil
Any good hard non absorbing surface works.

Even a FLAT rock will work fine.

Just do not hit on a rounded steel pipe, you can ask me how I know!
Old November 6, 2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Bayou

With heavily crimped pistol bullets, I've also found that not much works well. I usually wind up gripping the projectiles with pliers, wire cutters or such, and the projectiles wind up ruined. Fortunately, though, this has not occurred to me in a large batch - only one or two here and there...

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old November 6, 2018, 01:14 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

I like the Hornady Cam-Lock bullet puller, but you do need to buy it a separate collet for each caliber. Nonetheless, it works and the speed of operating the lever in one stroke as compared to multiple turns of the handle to tighten a conventional collet puller is well worth the savings in carpel tunnel PT. After you've bought collets for two calibers it is also cheaper than getting a separate conventional collet puller for a third caliber.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 7, 2018, 05:21 AM   #17
jetinteriorguy

I had the same problem, and even my collet puller couldn't pull them. With about 1500 to pull ( don't ask ) I had to figure something out. So I cranked my seater down a little to break them loose first and then the collet puller pulled them with ease and saved the bullets.
Old November 7, 2018, 02:41 PM   #18
Unclenick
Staff

Seating first is a common step pulling sealed military bullets and bullets that have sat in cases for so long the brass and gilding metal have developed some bond. With a mechanical crimp that isn't bonded, I would not have expected it would do anything. Interesting to hear that it did.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle