The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 6, 2017, 12:34 PM   #76
44 AMP
Staff

Drone?? whut's a drone? You mean like a bee? I thought it was a big ol skeeter, and I sure didn't want it bitin me or mine!
Old April 6, 2017, 01:40 PM   #77
DT Guy

While we all think of the areas inside our fenced yards as 'private', I don't actually believe nobody can see me in my yard...

I wonder how many folks would have a different reaction to a person parked in a vehicle across the street, taking photos with a telephoto lens?

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old April 6, 2017, 02:53 PM   #78
FITASC

Quote:
I do expect to see timber companies and power companies take advantage of drones in the near future and of course they will become part of everyday life..........................
Not only those folks bur real estate agents who are marketing large properties like horse farms, cattle ranches, etc. A lot cheaper than hiring a helicopter.

Utilities like them because they can get real close to energized lines without endangering an aircraft or humans.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 6, 2017, 04:46 PM   #79
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopper
Just because I'm in a helicopter, with a camera, hovering over your house, doesn't mean that I'm taking photos of you or your property.
It also doesn't mean you're not. How am I supposed to know?

I know this will probably strike you as entirely unreasonable, but IMHO my right to enjoy the privacy of MY property trumps your "right" (?) to get the picture you want. If you weren't in a helicopter and you were taking photos of my neighbor's house from ground level, would you assert that you should have carte blanche to wander around in my yard to find the right perspective?
Old April 6, 2017, 05:41 PM   #80
SHR970

Quote:
Everyone has privacy rights. Hovering a noisy helicopter over someone's property at an intrusive height will be construed by most as an invasion of privacy.
And in this case the FAA sets the legal minimum height and they are the AHJ. You would need to file a complaint with them. Like it or not if the FAA says they were above legal minimum height they are well within their rights.

Quote:
I know this will probably strike you as entirely unreasonable, but IMHO my right to enjoy the privacy of MY property trumps your "right" (?) to get the picture you want.
Of course that depends ENTIRELY on how your state or locality defines your rights. We all know that trespass laws vary greatly from state to state. Same goes for privacy laws.

There is a big difference in a "drone" hovering somewhat over a property line in the big city vs. a drone hovering next to your house on a 640 acre spread. We really need to keep this in perspective.