The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 25, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
kristop64089

Well, picked up my FIRST C&R Mil-Surp. Sako M39

After hem-hawwing on it for the last year, I decided to jump into the world of Mil-Surps by getting a 1943 Sako M39.

I have been looking at Mosins for so long that I was sick of it. I could never find the "right" gun. I really wanted an M44, but the prices are getting pretty high for me. I looked 91's till I was blue in the face, but just couldn't swallow the pill.

FINALLY I saw a local guy had one for sale, as well as another gun I was interested in, so I made my move.

First things first, I went to cleaning it. he had shot it, and spoke highly of its accuracy. The metal was still full of cosmoline, so I spent the better part of 6 hours swabbing her down. The wood is war-time and rough, but I don't notice any repairs. It's definitely seen some use though (which I like, it has HISTORY). Once I had the barrel cleaned, I took a look. What I see is:
- Bore is Bright
- Rifling is stong
- Grooves have some blemishes.

I was a little disappointed to see it. The bore isn't bad, but not pristine(I'd say GOOD). I had my reservations initially, because it's to hard to gauge with a pen light and a dirty barrel. On a 70 year old gun, there is no telling what the cleaning regimen has been.

The receiver is a 1907 Tula(IIRC), and looks great! The trigger is excellent for a Mil-Surp.

All in all, I am happy, as these things are impossible to find locally. He was asking $350 for it and some ammo. I felt that that was a little high, but by the time I transfer one, I'd be in the ball park.

So, a couple questions:
- What is the best way to bleed the cosmoline out of the stock, that does not require my oven?
- What is considered a "Bad Bore"
- Is there a pill I can take to curb my urge for an M44 and 91/30?

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm looking forward to it, as I heard these are incredible rifles.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:52 PM   #2
p99guy

set it out in the sun, use blow drier
pitted!
Nope you have mosinitis...no pill, no cure...you can only treat the symtoms by buying more mosins or milsurps

the finns redesigned the trigger...thats why they are a bit better.
they also improved the magazine.

pat burns(patricia) at gunsnammo.com has some beautiful M39s and others for sale all the time...polish M44's, east german marked 91/30 etc

welcome to the milsurp crew!
Old April 25, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3
saands

The prescription that I normally make to cure the desire for an M44 or a 91/30 is usually a Finnish M-N ... I'm sorry to say that you won't likely be happy with the other ones, now that you have a Finn ... my guess is that all it will take is a purchase of one M-44 and you'll be cured. That being said, you will likely shift your sights onto more of the Finnish variety, though, so you won't have saved any $$$

Saands
Old April 25, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
kristop64089

On the pitting:
- How bad does it hurt value or collect-ability?
- Is it uncommon in the Finns?

As far as the M44 goes, I know where I can pick one up for around $130, and I am tempted, but it's about 1-1/2 hours away.

I'll add that the bluing is STRONG on this one. I was surprised on such an old gun. I considered having one shipped in(after reading P99s prior threads) But decided on taking this one locally. I figure any M39 is better than none.

Last edited by kristop64089; April 25, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old April 25, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
saands

I don't think that a little pitting is uncommon in any milsurp rifle ... obviously the more "unissued" the metal looks, the higher the value ... but for a monetization of the value I would suggest looking at the listings that Pat Burns has on her site ... there you can probably see that a frosty bore gets you a discount of X dollars off of a comparable rifle with a bright bore.

As long as it shoots well, I wouldn't be concerned about the pits at all!

Saands
Old April 25, 2011, 05:53 PM   #6
tobnpr

For the cosmo on the stock, try putting it in a black plastic bag (Contractor bag) on a bed of newspapers. Seal it up, and place it on the dash of your car/truck in the sun, windows closed...

Is your concern about the bore related to value, or shooting?

I can't comment on value- as I own a couple of 91/30's (one action used for a LR custom rifle) and shoot them.
If you're going to shoot it, you should slug the bore to determine your bore/groove diameters.

http://7.62x54r.net/

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/
Old April 25, 2011, 06:55 PM   #7
kristop64089

I have seen that method of cleaning mentioned quite often. That's probably how I'll do it.

As far as the pitting question:
It's mostly towards the collectable worth. I know as Mosins go, these are the ones to have, and I'm glad to have it. The pitting is minor, and truthfully, I need to clean the barrel better, to be more concise.

I'm slightly neurotic when it comes to my worldly possessions. I try to keep everything in excellent condition. I bought it to shoot it, and that's what I'll do. With a light in the chamber, the bore shines.

My concern with the pitting is minimal at best, and is more of a "curiosity" question, as this is one of my first Mil-Surps.(I lied in the title. I forgot I have had a few SKS's and an Enfield Jungle Carbine that had a dark bore but shot GREAT!)
Old April 26, 2011, 05:17 PM   #8
p99guy

Now just find you a good Polish M44 to satisfy the folding bayonet itch