The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
chasep255

40 S&W Load

I called my friend up since I couldn't find any load data for 40 S&W using a 200 gr bullet and Power Pistol powder. He gave me a load from his Hornady Loading manual which uses 5 gr or powder. I am a first time reloader and I just was wondering if any of you can confirm the safety of this load. Also I noticed that the bullet does press up against the powder when I seat it. Is this an issue? Also is there a minimum total length for the cartridge?
Old February 3, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Shoney

Chase

The new Alliant data, which you can download from Alliant' web site, does not list any 200 gr bullet data.

Their old data lists 6.3 grains as max with PP, and by going 10% lower you get the starting load.

I list PP in my notes as "abusive" as it approaches max, and accuracy deteriorated. I would suggest you start low (5.5-ish)and go up in 0.3 grain increments. I did not go near max, and suggest the same to you.

I got excellent results with Hodgdon Longshot, but use VV N105 with 200gr XTP @ 10750fps as carry load (and that is below listed max)
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 3, 2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Sevens

Quote:
200gr XTP @ 10750fps
Holy jumping jeebus, Ethel! That over fifty-one thousand foot pounds of energy there!

How is the recoil?!
Old February 3, 2011, 07:05 PM   #4
noylj

The recoil!
Don't load what your buddy tells you. Find some real reloading data.
Also, unless you are into competitive shooting and no what the hazards are, you should not go higher than 180gn in a .40S&W.
Start at 4.6gn and work up carefully. You are voluntarily entering an area where the manuals tell you not to go. Work with the longest COL that feeds and chambers. The referenced COL is the "Do NOT load shorter than this."
.40 S&W
Bullet Weight Powder Weight Velocity Start/Max Power Factor COL

HP-XTP, HAP, FMJ-FP 200 Power Pistol 4.6 700 Start 140
FMJ 200 Power Pistol 5.7 0
HP-XTP, HAP, FMJ-FP 200 Power Pistol 6.0 900 Max 180
FMJ 200 Power Pistol 6.3 960 Max 192 1.130

Last edited by noylj; February 3, 2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more information