The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 24, 2021, 01:10 AM   #1
Geezerbiker

I couldn't resist...

Palmetto State Armory is having a sale and I couldn't resist getting an M4 flat-top complete upper for $309.99.

While it's not what I was really lusting after, I have a spare lower still in the package and this way I'll have one working (in theory) AR15 while I can wait on building my heavy barrel A2. I suppose later on I could sell the 16" barrel and put on a 20 incher like I wanted now. Maybe I'll find I like the carbine length rifle...

My plan is to build a Vietnam era dedicated marksman rifle if such a thing had existed. Now I can wait for a time when I can better afford the more expensive barrel and BCG...

Anyway I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I have a couple hundred rounds loaded with PMC brass and I don't care if I loose those cases...

Tony
Old May 24, 2021, 07:03 AM   #2
imashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
Palmetto State Armory is having a sale and I couldn't resist getting an M4 flat-top complete upper for $309.99.

While it's not what I was really lusting after, I have a spare lower still in the package and this way I'll have one working (in theory) AR15 while I can wait on building my heavy barrel A2. I suppose later on I could sell the 16" barrel and put on a 20 incher like I wanted now. Maybe I'll find I like the carbine length rifle...

My plan is to build a Vietnam era dedicated marksman rifle if such a thing had existed. Now I can wait for a time when I can better afford the more expensive barrel and BCG...

Anyway I'm really looking forward to shooting it. I have a couple hundred rounds loaded with PMC brass and I don't care if I loose those cases...

Tony
Vietnam-era? How? Perhaps I'm missing something. A coffee can with a broomstick could be called Vietnam-era if one chose to designate it that. Hope you enjoy the gun but no way, no how, is your "plan" related to the Vietnam era. .30 sniper rifles ruled the day. Perhaps a "what if", "fantasy dmr", etc.
Old May 24, 2021, 08:47 AM   #3
stagpanther

Brownell's has some great-looking "retro" AR's that I've looked at longingly several times.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:01 AM   #4
10-96

Quote:
Vietnam-era? How? Perhaps I'm missing something.
You might be... To me, Vietnam ere would entail a 20" pencil barrel, likely in 1:12 twist, 3-prong flash suppressor, shiny chromed bolt carrier, A-1 Rear sight on a carry handle, no finger groove/lump thing on the pistol grip, triangle handguards, no brass deflector, and maybe no forward assist if early enough in the Vietnam era-ness. Oh, and a 1/2" or so shorter buttstock than an A-2.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:52 PM   #5
Geezerbiker

I said "Vietnam era dedicated marksman rifle if such a thing had existed" so no need to get your panties in a wad. I supposed if such a rifle had existed at the time it would have been scoped and had a heavier barrel. I'd love it if I could find a free floating triangular hand guard but I don't think any one makes it. Not that I really expect there to be enough demand for such and item to be made...

Anyway I hope the carbine length upper I just bought from, PSA is a good shooter. It also answers the question of what to do with that second new lower I have laying around still in the factory packaging...

Tony
Old May 24, 2021, 01:43 PM   #6
10-96

Slow down and breathe Geezerbiker, you're not the one I quoted. For your freefloated triangular handguards, they make a DCM or National Match freefloat tube that the GI handguards attach to. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-prod9943.aspx. I notice these have a triangular nose cap, and I think the triangle handguards used a round one, it could be make to work, but I'm not sure how labor intensive that would be. Good luck, have fun, and quit worrying about my drawers.

Old May 24, 2021, 02:56 PM   #7
Geezerbiker

i wasn't aiming my post at you. I was having trouble quoting and I figured the person I was talking to would figure it out.

Thanks about the freefloat tube. I just might go that route. Right now I have a skeltonized free float guard that I got cheap and it'll stay on for the time being...

Tony
Old May 24, 2021, 03:58 PM   #8
10-96

Gotcha. I'm trying to work up the courage to figure out how to put walnut on one of those tubes. That ought to look like a million bucks.

Old May 24, 2021, 05:03 PM   #9
ballardw

More than one place selling wood stock sets for AR, even with triangular forestock. Heres' just the first on my search:
http://blackgunswood.com/

I sometimes think the "black rifle" should have ebony stocks.
Old May 24, 2021, 06:17 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

Boyds makes a laminated set for the AR15. It's pretty cool but not what I was looking for. Perhaps if I ever get a 3rd AR15, I'd go for that...

I checked out that link, very cool and it would be even cooler if the hand guard was free floated...

Tony
Old May 24, 2021, 08:12 PM   #11
imashooter

Received it Lima/Charlie. I just find it it dumb to refer to it as "Vietnam-era"; imagined or not. For that matter it could be Roman Empire era, 2525 era, etc.
Old May 24, 2021, 08:14 PM   #12
imashooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-96 View Post
You might be... To me, Vietnam ere would entail a 20" pencil barrel, likely in 1:12 twist, 3-prong flash suppressor, shiny chromed bolt carrier, A-1 Rear sight on a carry handle, no finger groove/lump thing on the pistol grip, triangle handguards, no brass deflector, and maybe no forward assist if early enough in the Vietnam era-ness. Oh, and a 1/2" or so shorter buttstock than an A-2.
Depends. Several variants of M16-type guns over the near 15 year span.
Old May 25, 2021, 09:59 AM   #13
10-96

Yeah, the Ar's and M-16's never really got the era identifier references that other have had such as Pre-war Colts, Pre Model number S&W's, or Pre-64 Winchesters. I guess it's just a way to try to put a finger on what features, style, age, etc on them. Since not much has changed, I guess there's not much of a way to group the Post-1980's rifles and carbines, huh? I might dedicate some thought to that some day.

Old May 25, 2021, 01:56 PM   #14
Geezerbiker

Getting back on topic... Anyone know how long it usually takes PSA to ship? I'm really looking forward to trying out this M4 style upper... Before anyone complains, PSA called it that...

Tony
Old May 25, 2021, 09:30 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

Maybe Vietnam Era inspired would go over better with the subject matter "experts"

Sounds like a cool build. Make sure to keep us updates, preferably with pics included.
Old May 25, 2021, 10:12 PM   #16
Geezerbiker

The A2 DMR is on hold until I have more funds. The barrel alone I want cost more than the complete PSA upper I have on the way. Not to mention the cost of a nickel-boron BCG. I suppose if I called it a A2 style varmint rifle the "experts" wouldn't have gotten their nickers in a twist... BTW, I may have been a kid in the 60's but I remember the times very well. My family didn't loose anyone in the conflict but we lost friends.

I bought the M4 style 16" upper on sale so I'll have a working AR and I will already have an upper for my 2nd lower in case things get "sticky" over the next couple years. The original plan wasn't to complete the other lower for another year or two... Like I said, I couldn't resist. I'm now almost as bad as my ex for not being able to resist a sale...

I just got a an eMail from PSA saying my new upper assembly has shipped. It'll be interesting to see how well it shoots... I bought 3 new 20 round mags on the 20th of January and most here will get the point of when I did that...

Tony
Old May 26, 2021, 06:38 AM   #17
imashooter

No idea on PSA shipments nowadays. In the past, I've had them from literally overnight to approx 10 days. Mostly the longer times were always around the end of the year holidays with all the big sales and such. Enjoy.
Old May 26, 2021, 07:48 PM   #18
GarandTd

I ordered their 2 stage nickel boron trigger with free shipping On the 19th. It shipped the 20th and was at my house on the 25th. Installed it tonight. Hopefully an assembled upper moves through their system as quickly.
Old May 31, 2021, 12:00 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

The tracking number says it'll be here Wednesday. That's not as reliable as it used to be but I should have it by Friday at the latest.

Tony
Old June 2, 2021, 09:36 AM   #20
Geezerbiker

It's here. Right on time and it looks great. Even though I should be doing other things right now, I fitted it up to the lower. It's my busy season, well sort of since COVID, there's not a lot of work but I still should be doing other things.

I can only see 2 problems so far but I kinda expected them. First off there's a front site on the gas block that's right in the way of the scope. It's pinned in place and if I can't figure out how to remove the gas block, I suppose I could cut the sight off and paint the bare aluminum. That wouldn't take more than 15 minutes going slow and careful...

The second issue again minor and expected. I need to paint the hand guard from flat dirt/olive drab mixed color to black. It looks like the ring at the back of the guard is spring loaded but I can't seem to pull it back far enough to release the hand guard.

For now, I'm not going to mess with it. The scope picture is surprisingly good considering that honking big front sight in the way.

Tony
Old June 2, 2021, 09:53 AM   #21
10-96

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...rod136527.aspx
I resisted getting a handguard tool for too many years- always thought that if the Army didn't have me use one, then I just flat didn't need it. Finally broke down and bought one. They sure are handy.

Old June 2, 2021, 09:55 AM   #22
GarandTd

The front sight mostly disappears through the scope. You'll see a shadow, but otherwise should be able to use it as-is. Also, the handguard, if polymer, can be dyed as an alternative to paint.
Old June 2, 2021, 10:47 AM   #23
Geezerbiker

I still need to figure out how to take the hand guard off. For now I can live with the mismatch but eventually I'll deal with it.

Tony
Old June 2, 2021, 02:00 PM   #24
DaleA

FYI people that follow these threads don't always post on these threads.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Old June 2, 2021, 04:30 PM   #25
Geezerbiker

I'm thinking about getting some higher rings and maybe a riser block. I'll post more after I've got the scope on the way I want it and get it out to the range.

I'm hard to please when it comes to scope rings. There used to be all kinds of scope ring sets that were both high and had one off set ring to get the scope positioned just right. I've put way to long into looking for rings today and I need to set the project aside for a couple days...

I have a new Vortex scope on the way for my K-Hornet and I plan to use the hand-me-down scope on the AR. I'm a big guy and I've taken a beating over the years so getting my head down to see though a low scope is uncomfortable anyway so I try to put high rings on all my rifles... I'd like to get it so half or less of the front sight is in the way of the scope. Right now it's all in the way.

Update: I just order a peep sight that clamps on to the picatinny rail. It cost less than a good set of rings. So maybe I don't need to scope this rifle...

Tony

Last edited by Geezerbiker; June 2, 2021 at 04:50 PM.