The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2012, 09:28 AM   #1
wizrd

Single handed slide racking?

Anyone ever see anyone do this? Semi-auto pistol, empty chamber, full magazine. Draw & rack the slide with only the shooting hand. An extremely fast
simulated draw from a holster, a thrust forward & back, lightning fast, chamber is charged, pistol in battery, ready to fire. Can anyone here do this?
Old November 14, 2012, 09:44 AM   #2
BfloBill

In training we practiced racking the slide on the edge of your duty belt or holster during a reload to simulate one arm being injured, but to do it as standard practice out of the holster seems like a trick at a shooting show as opposed to anything usefull in a real situation. And trying for speed while doing so is probably an invitation for an accident.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Andrewh

there was a video on you tube for a while.
showed a guy racking a glock or something just by shoving it forward fast.

never able to do it with any of my guns.

only seen it in real life using your belt, shoe heel or desk. never seen anyone punch one forward and rack a slide like in that video.

as I recall it was some competition, so probably a race gun with lighter springs and low power ammo.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
BfloBill

Are you sure he wasn't catching the side of the slide on his belt? I can't imagine a gun being able to function properly if the springs were light enough to rack it by just shoving forward.

Can't find anything like it on youtube, except one where the guy catches the side of his belt with the slide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMsAv...endscreen&NR=1
Old November 14, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
OsOk-308

Quote:
In training we practiced racking the slide on the edge of your duty belt or holster during a reload to simulate one arm being injured, but to do it as standard practice out of the holster seems like a trick at a shooting show as opposed to anything usefull in a real situation. And trying for speed while doing so is probably an invitation for an accident.
+1

I've done one handed racking with my belt once or twice, I doubt that I'll ever need to do it any other way if one hand is not usable. That's why you should carry one in the chamber! then all you have to do to reload one handed is hit the slide release!
Old November 14, 2012, 10:45 AM   #6
drail

The video you're referring to was a professional shooter using a Glock with light springs. He was using only inertia to cycle the slide and was not hooking it on anything. It spurred a whole lot of people to try to learn to do it. I don't think anyone else did it with a gun that was not sprung extremely lightly like his was. If you really need to pull a gun you will not have time to rack it first (even using inertia to rack it). Fractions of a second will make a difference in an emergency situation.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
BfloBill

Is the video still around?
If it is put up a link, I would like to check it out.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #8
wizrd

I'm not referring to a video, referring to a live person. A police officer from the Phillipines, a 'Constabelero?' - Equivalent of our state police. He did this with a friends 9 mm Ruger p95. He repeated the task 15 times. First time he picked up this particular firearm. His dept. has them carry with an empty chamber, he claims all of his officers can do this. No brushing against his side or leg, just a mid-air thrust. Unbelievable. He is related by marriage to my friend.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Sevens

If this guy is a known quantity and you can meet up with him again and he's willing to do it, get some video of it. It'll be a Youtube sensation. Of course, there will be a zillion folks calling it a fake or a setup, but it's still worth catching on video.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:58 PM   #10
Denezin

with my 1911 and no guide rod oh yeah off anything i can slam the plug against.
Old November 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #11
JFootin

I know a guy who can rack even the very hard to rack Kahr PM9 with either hand. Not the way you described, but interesting anyway. He puts his thumb in the curved area (beavertail) at the top of the grip, rolls his fingers across the top of the slide - gripping it, then he just squeezes. I think he has superman hands!
Old November 14, 2012, 05:18 PM   #12
ShootingNut

Sounds mostly like a action movie scene to me,
we all know in the movies they can do anything.
Racking alongside a belt or leather object, sounds feasible.
Then again, we had Houdini didn't we, hmmm.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:48 PM   #13
mdThanatos

Here is a link to the video about the glock and one handed racking. It was during a competition of some sort. Can't remember all of the details about it but it surfaced a while back. One Handed Racking
Old November 14, 2012, 11:03 PM   #14
TAKtical

One hand chambering. Only in the philippines.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old November 14, 2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Of course, there will be a zillion folks calling it a fake or a setup, but it's still worth catching on video.
...and there will be a zillion folks who try to emulate it, in some cases resulting in injury.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Strafer Gott

Fort Hood

In 5th Army,it was SOP to carry with an empty chamber. Many of us learned to chamber a round on the draw by pushing the pistol onto a slight ledge in the military holsters for the 1911a1. It's a pull, push, pull draw motion, that get's smooth and fast with practice. It's best to practice with snap caps, because short stroking which only cocks the piece is common at first. Hearing the slide rack on the draw definitely adds to the drama.
Old November 15, 2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Stressfire

Quote:
...and there will be a zillion folks who try to emulate it, in some cases resulting in injury.
That was my first thought. If I have 2 perfectly good hands, why would I need to use just one?

If, for some reason, I'm lacking a hand, seems prudent to just carry chambered
Old November 15, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18
ragwd

I was taught in a class, to one leg kneel and use the heal of trailing foot to push slide down on. It works after a few tries, especially hard to do with off hand but we had to do both. I hope it never comes to that.