The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 27, 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Reef

Barnes Tipped Triple Shock

Anyone have any experience with this bullet? Looking for a good performing Elk bullet for a Weatherby 30-378.
Old June 27, 2012, 04:33 PM   #2
huntinaz

I used the TTSX for the first time this last elk season. I used a 168gr TTSX in a 30-06. 2 elk were killed with the rifle (1 mine, 1 my buddy). Both elk were shot at 250-300 yards, both mature cows. I hit mine at a slight angle and it deflected a bit on the ribs. I hit her just behind the shoulder but high; 4-5 inches below the spine. The energy was enough however to crack the spine and she went down. The bullet lodged somewhere in the chest cavity or opposide shoulder, don't remember which but I did recover it. Pics attatched, not a full opening but not bad considering the speed of the 30-06 and that distance. Lost a petal but again, I think the deflection was a significant factor and not really the fault of the bullet. Wasn't great shot placement but did the trick.

My buddy shot his cow at ~275 yards as well and he had a perfect broadside shot. The bullet zipped square thru both shoulders with a nickel sized exit, suggesting good expansion and weight retention. Did exactly what it was supposed to do. I'm happy with the load so far, I'll continue to use it. It shoots about MOA for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TTSX1.jpg (6.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg TTSX2.jpg (120.2 KB, 58 views)
Old June 27, 2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

That's great! First pics I've seen of a recovered TTSX!

I've used them on one animal, small whitetail. 110gr 7mm from a 15" Encore at 2850fps. "BOOM!, flop." That was it. In working up a load, they proved as accurate as any other bullet, sub-MOA.

Will be using 85gr 243 version this year
Old June 27, 2012, 04:53 PM   #4
huntinaz

I am running the 85gr TSX in 243 as well, I also have not killed a deer with it. Shot a coyote on the run at ~ 30 yards... exit was nasty.

I shot a coatimundi with it too at ~ 150 yards but I think I skipped it into the thing. The entrance wound was in the belly and was... large. The bullet was in there too and was smeared and only about 60% had been retained. I didn't really count that since I'm pretty sure it skipped in. His pelt is due back within the next month

I think I lost that bullet so no pics.
Old June 27, 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
AllenJ

My cousin shot a nice mature cow last year with his 7mm Remington Mag. He was using the 150 grain TTSX. The elk was about 150 yards from him and the shot entered just behind the shoulder, angling into the off shoulder. He recovered the bullet and showed it to me, perfect mushroom. I have shot a couple cow elk with older Barnes bullets and none have dissappointed me. Every shot was a pass through so no bullets recovered.
Old June 27, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
jmr40

They are good bullets, but not needed with that rifle on elk. Where they really shine is when using a gun that would normally be considered a little on the light side for the task it is being asked to do. You rifle will perform just fine with 180-200 gr jacketed lead bullets.

If I were elk hunting with a 243 or 7-08, I'd be looking hard at the Barnes bullets and limit the ranges I shot. The Barnes bullets allow these smaller calibers get better penetration than would normally be possible with smaller lighter conventional bullets at very high velocity.

If they shoot well in your gun there is only 1 reason other than expense to not use them. Most folks drop down 1 or 2 bullet weights and shoot the Barnes bullets as fast as possible. That works well at closer and moderate ranges. But the all copper bullets do not expand as well if they hit game at slower velocities. Which means they are less effective at exended ranges. Or from chamberings not capable of very high velocities. A heavier conventional bullet will still expand at longer ranges where the Barnes bullet is moving too slow to expand.

The number I keep seeing is 2000 fps at impact. If the solid copper bullets are moving slower than that they don't work well. Conventional bullets still expand as slow as 1600-1800 fps. And heavier bullets maintain those speeds at greater ranges than the lighter copper bullets. I'd look at some ballistics charts and find the range where the bullets I were considering fall below that speed. That will determine the max effective range for that bullet. If the shooter is skilled enough to shoot at that range.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

As I posted here, the TTSX goes through a good size elk lengthwise with a 308. From your 30-78 it probably goes through 2.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Reef

jmr40, great advise, thanks!
Old June 28, 2012, 08:49 AM   #9
AllenJ

Here is my cousin Chris' bullet. He found it while skinning out the elk but then lost it in the snow. He went back up this summer after the snow melted and found it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barnes TTSX 150 284.3.JPG (57.0 KB, 43 views)
Old June 30, 2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Flintknapper

No experience with Elk, but they work well on hogs:

Old June 30, 2012, 09:41 AM   #11
rgrundy

I started using them on elk two years ago in a 300 Win Mag and have killed two elk. I did not recover the bullets. One at 322 yards and the other at 250. The first was hit in the heart and went 2 feet rolled over and kicked a few times. The other was hit through both lungs and wobbled around and fell after 50 yards. They also have a tendency to shoot into the same hole at 100 yards from the bench. I like them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwFP6TeezZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGLPCAYfewc
Old July 3, 2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Jack O'Conner

I recently watched a DVD titled Death Down Under featuring Lynn Thompson of Cold Steel. He toppled several dozen asia water buffalo with 375 H & H and .308 rifles using the TSX bullet. Very impressive results. This is a genuine Premium bullet for heavy skinned or tough game animals.

Jack